Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignatz
    Pelvic structure is different in men and women. Female pelvis is
    tilted forward, adapted for childbearing.Male pelvis tilted less forward, adapted for support of heavier male build and stronger muscles.
    Going forward with hips it seems to me that females have biological advantage and, thinking about it, would seem to me that if female tilts pelvis forward it gives even more advantage. Just a guess.
    Hm, not sure I agree with that. The female top part of the hip is more forward than the pelvis bone, thus making the butt stick out. So the hip has this tilt: / . Men have more straight hips.

This is an disadvantage. But on the other side, many women are more flexible in the hips than men, and can therefore use it more. Not only for power, but for changes in direction. My guess anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
      Female pelvis is tilted forward, adapted for childbearing.Male pelvis tilted less forward, adapted for support of heavier male build and stronger muscles.
      Direct quote from anatomy book. Effect on kendo? I'll leave that to experts.

Originally posted by tatadi
      The female top part of the hip is more forward than the pelvis bone, thus making the butt stick out.
      Hmmm, maybe LNguyen's bean burrito fuel rod might be advantage, rocket fuel.
      Ooops, looks like I'm getting another bad rep point from somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by tantadi
        Hm, not sure I agree with that. The female top part of the hip is more forward than the pelvis bone, thus making the butt stick out. So the hip has this tilt: / . Men have more straight hips.
        Right, and we ask people to make that tilt on purpose. For men, when you tilt the pelvis forward you make a more solid connection between the driving (left, normally) leg and the upper body. If you don't, then when you drive forward the pelvis tilts first and then the upper body moves. I'm not sure if the difference in anatomy works for or against the women, I'll let the women speak to that.

Comment

Originally posted by LNGUYEN
          If you want to have explosive forward speed, there are only two ways:

1. Practice and practice hard and harder

2. Use a big bean burito rod for fuel. Bean burito rod must be insert no more than 1.5 hours before practice.
          Bean Burrito? Is the projectile diarreah supposed to rocket you forward?

Comment

I think I'm misunderstanding something here.

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=8
            If you look at the pics under "pelvic mobilization" on this webpage, imo you should avoid the one at the left at all costs and go more for the one at the right (but not near as far as she is demonstrating). Or what?

Comment

You want the one on the right, and pretty much exactly as Krista is demonstrating.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

Why is tilting the pelvis more useful for women?
                  Neill already explained it, but here are my views.
                  Women tend to have more curved back. This mean that the left leg stay behind and often the left heel is to high. During fumikomi, the body weight is to forward, the fumikomi is more difficult and to much on the right heel. An other consequence is a kamae change. Left hand to square, attack with right arm.
                  Of course men have the same problem, but it's less noticeable.
                  A sensei told me about that when I began kendo. I began to understand what he meant ten years later. What a loss of time...

Nice link

Comment

I figured it was what you ment but wasn't sure.

I'm working on my posture. It seems when I tuck my hip it shortens the step but helps the form...it also changes the follow through..both probably because I'm not pushing enough with the left.

Comment

I figured it was what you ment but wasn't sure.

I'm working on my posture. It seems when I tuck my hip it shortens the step but helps the form...it also changes the follow through..both probably because I'm not pushing enough with the left.
                      For the follow through, the way you do the fumikomi is important. It should draw you in a forward motion.

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by your description of the connection between fumikomi and follow through...the fumikomi sets up the possibility for the follow through by its "landing position", not by it's forward motion.

The final position of fumikomi is where the weight has gone from the right to the left foot, so that you are ideally standing straight up and down on the left foot..which allows you to change direction, go hiki or something else than just straight forward...I remember discussing explosiveness with an instructor, he said that you didn't necessarily have to fly into the cut (as long as it worked for you)...you could cut "slow" or move slow into the opponent and then you needed a good fast push off from the left.

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by your description of the connection between fumikomi and follow through...the fumikomi sets up the possibility for the follow through by its "landing position", not by it's forward motion.
                          I'm sorry, my english is really poor.
                          The landing position gives the motion. If your right knee is over the toes of your right foot when you fumikomi (hit the floor), the resulting forces draw your forward.

Comment

My english is not the best either.

It will draw you forward if the left is not pulled up fast enough, imo the completion of fumikomi is a moment of vertical balance/stillness.

Comment

Fumikomi should be seen as the halfway point and be used to continue the acceleration you started with your left foot. The right foot should at the time of impact, be below you so you can continue to propel yourself forward.

Comment

Yes, if you plan on going straight forward after the cut and don't plan to do more than one cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X