X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Budo Angel View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me, people who get custom and still plump for standard black...why o why - the world should be in colour !!! unless you're colourblind....
    Wabi-sabi? Shibumi?

Comment

Originally posted by Budo Angel View Post
      It never ceases to amaze me, people who get custom and still plump for standard black...why o why - the world should be in colour !!! unless you're colourblind...ps. Chiba Bogu are good for personal service eh. That Suzuki san is a genius with needle & cotton... ps. Congrats to the wife on getting it whacked.
      Ha ha! You're right, Chiba service is great, though the custom build did take a bit longer than usual. My personal feeling is that the choice of basic black reflects her humble and modest nature. If she stands out from the crowd in the dojo, she'd prefer it to be because of her spirit, and the beauty of her Kendo. The one feature that is purely for the sake of appearance is something only she would typically see: The natural antique finish on the bamboo inside of the do dai.

Comment

That is a pretty do. The natural finish on the inside, is that some kind of laquer or is it untreated? I thought that the ususal paint on the inside served as some kind of moisture barrier for the bamboo slats?

Comment

Originally posted by H.Sandsleth View Post
          That is a pretty do. The natural finish on the inside, is that some kind of laquer or is it untreated? I thought that the ususal paint on the inside served as some kind of moisture barrier for the bamboo slats?
          It looks like a stain was applied to get the caramel color, and then it was sealed with some kind of a clear coat.

Comment

....Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
              Wabi-sabi? Shibumi?
              It's why you leave a place for God in the middle of your bonsai, and an intentional imperfection. See? I'm not a barbarian! (sometimes...)

Tell Michelle that's a real nice doh Jon, I'm jealous.
              Last edited by Paikea; 24th August 2007, 08:40 AM.

Comment

A Doh and Short-waisted Women

In Japan they say we should fit the doh but I just couldn't - if I got it big enough to give good rib protection, I couldn't straighten my arms when hitting men cuz the munet - as someone mentioned - got in the way. And one teacher said I was wearing the tare too high but it just looked like it because the doh was hanging all over it. Finally the shop guy offered to replace the munet with a (kids' size maybe) narrower munet and it did the trick! I can pull the doh up higher - thus protecting more against high=breast doh strikes - and still extend/straighten the arms.

Comment

Could we possible get a women's bogu issues FAQ page happening with some definitive facts on what to look for or request? Is GreenArrow still active? There's some good knowledge around in this forum but it would be great to have it all in one place.

Chiba Bogu's women's bogu info page has been deleted for some reason, and vendors change and go out of business. So there's a need to get this issue back up.

b

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
                    Chiba Bogu's women's bogu info page has been deleted for some reason...
                    Found it. b

Comment

new e-mudo do for women

e-mudo has a do made for women, which is new I think, at least I never saw it when purchasing my bogu: http://www.e-mudo.com/DO_for_woman_p/womando.htm

It looks like the mune is shorter and narrower, and the leather sides are taller at the top to protect the breasts. I can't tell if mune is angled outward more or not from the photos however.

Has anyone tried this one or one like it? What did you think? My only concern is that the higher sides, while nice protection, could interfere with swinging the shinai potentially?

It would certainly be good to have a go-to option for female beginners so our only option isn't custom made dos.

p.s. a women's bogu FAQ page would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                      X