Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunjin keikogi

Hi gals-

It seems as if we've bandied about Bunjin's name as a supplier a lot and I was wondering if anyone here has ever ordered from them or seen their products in person. Several kenshi here have their hakama, which do look rather sharp, but I was wondering about their keikogi especially the black dogi for Iai. Just looking at the website it seems that the himo are too low. Inputs? I have one Iai keikogi right now that's serviceable. I probably should have gone with a 1 rather than a 2 because I have to be especially careful not to get that "poofy back."

Hmm... thinking on poofy keikogi.... What do you normally do to get your keikogi to fit nicely? I usually make two creases in the back after I tie the front himo on my hakama. That seems to work if you're patient.

The black dogi pictured has side slits, I guess that they deliver it without for iaido? I'm sceptical about the fabric, looks like the same that is used in karategi, and that will make a lot of swoosh and snap sounds when you move in it (which it is supposed to do in karate).

When I tie the front himo, I start with the himo high in the back and sort of pull it down into place so it flattens the bulges. I also try to gather excess fabric to the front where it doesn't show as well.

Comment

Originally posted by runsyi
      Hmm... thinking on poofy keikogi.... What do you normally do to get your keikogi to fit nicely? I usually make two creases in the back after I tie the front himo on my hakama. That seems to work if you're patient.
      after tying the longer himo on the hakama, i usually pull the back of the keiko-gi to get rid of 'poof', then i make sure to pull the front of the gi to make sure nape of my neck is not showing. then i make sure everything is neat before tying the shorter himo on the hakama.

pete

Comment

Originally posted by tantadi
        The black dogi pictured has side slits, I guess that they deliver it without for iaido? I'm sceptical about the fabric, looks like the same that is used in karategi, and that will make a lot of swoosh and snap sounds when you move in it (which it is supposed to do in karate).
        Yeah, there's no choice of fabric for the keikogi. That would be cool, wouldn't it?

Originally posted by tantadi
        When I tie the front himo, I start with the himo high in the back and sort of pull it down into place so it flattens the bulges. I also try to gather excess fabric to the front where it doesn't show as well.
        That's a good idea. Usually I gather the excess fabric to the back in two folds, like darts. Never thought to tie the hakama himo high and pull it down.

Comment

hehehe, not only do I get a poofy back, but with my blue hakama the front of my gi gets bunched up on the crutch because its so long and I look like a guy whos shoved a pair of socks down his pants. Makes me giggle everytime, especially trying to rearrange it with bogu on :P... My white hakama has a lower crutch so no probs there.

Comment

First, it's Bujin, not Bunjin.

Second, the "iaidogi" they sell really aren't. They're pretty much just aikidogi\karatedogi with 3/4 length sleeves. The vents are at the sides, not in the back where they should be for proper iaidogi or kendogi. So, unless you want to either put your upper thighs on display or prove that you wear very conservative undergarments, I'd recommend against this keikogi.

Third, if there's excess material, I've been taught to gather it in two folds: one at each side. That way both the front and the back are smooth.

It would be nice if someone started to manufacture actual iaidogi and kendogi that were shaped for women. You might try Daimyo Outfitters at http://home.att.net/~daimyo.outfitters/. All his stuff is tailor-made, but iaidogi start at only $40 ($50 for a more reasonable material).

Comment

From what i've seen

I have a couple bags from them and they are supurb and amazing, as far as uniform sensei has a hakama and i think gi from them, and his commets were something along the lines that they were nice, but seemed to be more tailored to aikido than kendo, and the impression i got was that if he got another uniform it wouldnt be from there. but grain of salt as its all hearsay as far as uniform.

Comment

Good info. I've posted some other tailor links in the hakama thread. Personally I find the thick double weave keikogi most annoying, because of the thick fabric adds to the lumps that the gi is already maiking around the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Enfield
                  First, it's Bujin, not Bunjin.

Second, the "iaidogi" they sell really aren't. They're pretty much just aikidogi\karatedogi with 3/4 length sleeves. The vents are at the sides, not in the back where they should be for proper iaidogi or kendogi. So, unless you want to either put your upper thighs on display or prove that you wear very conservative undergarments, I'd recommend against this keikogi.

Third, if there's excess material, I've been taught to gather it in two folds: one at each side. That way both the front and the back are smooth.

It would be nice if someone started to manufacture actual iaidogi and kendogi that were shaped for women. You might try Daimyo Outfitters at http://home.att.net/~daimyo.outfitters/. All his stuff is tailor-made, but iaidogi start at only $40 ($50 for a more reasonable material).
                  Thanks for the correction and the link. Interesting stuff. I do wish there were some examples of his work though. I do a little sewing and might try my hand at some of the patterns Green Arrow put up earlier. I'm not going to attempt a Kendo keikogi because there's no way I'd have the patience to do the sashiko stitching.

Comment

I accedentely saw that the guy behind Daimyo also makes hakama and gi for this company, examples can be seen.
                    http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_reberuniforms.htm

Looks a little to "crumply" for me.

Comment

Originally posted by runsyi
                      Thanks for the correction and the link. Interesting stuff. I do wish there were some examples of his work though. I do a little sewing and might try my hand at some of the patterns Green Arrow put up earlier. I'm not going to attempt a Kendo keikogi because there's no way I'd have the patience to do the sashiko stitching.
                      Agree abotu earlier comments- the Bu-jin stuff is pretty aikido-focused... but the patterns from RoundEarth are excellent to use. Even if you've not used patterns much before.

You WILL want a sewing machine though- both gi and hakama have LOTS of long straight seams. Decent heavy needles for the machine too if your fabric is much heavier than sheeting- jeans needles are good. I found that heavier threads helped also- most brands have an "upholstery" grade, works much better if you are sewing a few layers of a heavy(ish) cotton together, I use the Guttermen threads and they do a good heavy-duty one.

Comment

Working...
                      X