No announcement yet.

Girlies at the Bowden and Premier!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here the women compete dan and kyu together cos theres so few of us.

Comment

Originally posted by runsyi
      Not knocking anything. Just curious about the division breakup.
      Britiain is well behind a lot of European countries in female numbers and dan ranks... but we still managed a couple of Team Bronze medals in the European Championships in 2001 and 2002.

Mind you, my dojo in Japan has 70 members..with about 3 being female!

Comment

Well, slowly but surely things are getting better. I've got 5 noob girls in UCL this year, and 3 of them are going to squad this weekend, so I'm doing my bit! The problem is keeping these young ladies interested in kendo long enough for them to be able to sustain their own enthusiasm. Once they actually "bite" then they just keep on bashing through just like all the blokes. I think part of it is being able to show them that ladies can get good just as easily as blokes can. At UCL we were quite lucky to have a very very good korean lady visit for a while, and the girls had a good chance to watch her and talk to her. That helped massively, I think!

And Brian might as well have had his eyes closed, but I can tell from where I was standing they were open.....snoogins.(couldn't resist....sorry Brian!)

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM

And Brian might as well have had his eyes closed, but I can tell from where I was standing they were open.....snoogins.(couldn't resist....sorry Brian!)
          I did consider making him walk home on Sunday

Comment

It is sad about the women's numbers at taikai - even sadder is i just forund out that I can't go to the open this year (NOOOOOOOOOOOO!) as am having towork because evil manager is being nasty and letting someone else have the day off (god i'm so childish!).

Gibbo - you'll have to get some of your UCL student girlies competing. As for keeping them hooked - it's an interesting point. Watching someone reall good gives you something to aspire to - I aspire to be like my high school sempai - she's studying with Sumi sensei now (lucky thing!). Btw - good boy for doing your bit, roll over and i'll scratch your tummy!

Paburo - as for the whole vids/pics things, i'll have to ask around at the club. I didn't have a chance to take any as my little bro has, ahem, appropriated my camera. May have to take it back by force!

Comment

I had a great time at the Bowden this year and fully intend to be back for the Open later this year too. I might even last longer than the first round! I managed to talk to a lot of people and watch some great Kendo. Just sorry that Brian put Gerry out. I would have enjoyed seeing Gerry and Gibbo in the final but there is always next year

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Kitten
                Gibbo - you'll have to get some of your UCL student girlies competing.
                Actually two ladies were in team c in the bowden, and one of those entered the premier cup.

Comment

ah yes - think i saw them. The ones with the big "Dai" on their gi? Didn't really see them fence - was concentrating on kashi no ki and northumbia A when i actually got to watch. Shame that there aren't enough girls to do a women's team event in the bowden - right now i think we have enough women to have two teams!

Comment

right now i think we have enough women to have two teams!
                    That happened one year, from Hizen, and I was proud to be a participant of the first all women's team in a Bowden, so was Jeff Humm who couldn't stop grinning proudly he had a dojo big enough to pitch an all womens team (& there were spares available). Most of us who could, also wore white - we also didn't get knocked out immediately (if I recall, but someone else may have strong recollection of events - as we were a good mix of dan, and couple kyu)

A dojo should go for it - it does look good and boosts moral.

Comment

Originally posted by Budo Angel
                      That happened one year, from Hizen, and I was proud to be a participant of the first all women's team in a Bowden, so was Jeff Humm who couldn't stop grinning proudly he had a dojo big enough to pitch an all womens team (& there were spares available). Most of us who could, also wore white - we also didn't get knocked out immediately (if I recall, but someone else may have strong recollection of events - as we were a good mix of dan, and couple kyu)

A dojo should go for it - it does look good and boosts moral.
                      now that would be ace! I've always dreamed of it! Shame the rules won't allow teams in the bowden from lots of different dojos! Would be ace. it looks really good when the whole team dresses alike - when i was out in japan, we had a brill team uniform - two in fact - one was blue and had gold embroidery on them, they looked so cool. the other was white with red embroidery. Our team Dou were this cracked gold pattern and had the school mon on them. They were brilliant. The boys team had similar, only their dou were burgundy. soooo coool! Shame we couldn't do that! Only stipulation should be that the women's squad couldn't enter as a team - they'd whup our asses! (heee heee!)

Comment

Working...
                      X