Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it gonna be darlin', me or ......

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it gonna be darlin', me or ......

Here's a question for all you Kendo lovers. Seeing there is a mix of male a female in this forum, I think the question sits well here. Don't know if it has been asked before or not. Taking a punt!
    If it came down to it, and your partner/lover/soul mate asked you to quit the art, what would you do. I would be torn between the two but would live with my decision.

KENDO BABY! C ya!
    Last edited by Seiza_Seizure; 1st July 2006, 11:45 AM.

I think everyone needs to respect the other person for who they are. They shouldn't have to ask them to change just because they may want to spend more time with them or for other reasons. I would say that down the track a hobbie will help your relationships last longer if anything.

Unless what you are doing is dangerous for your health like some extreme sports then I don't think anyone should quit what they love. If you quit you would also become a different person within so maybe your parter, lover or soul mate should think about this first.

If it's the smell of the kote then make sure you air them well.... Outside....

Comment

They would have to go. Not because I necessarily love kendo more than the other person, but because the other person obviously doesn't love me as who I am and thinks they need to change me.

Comment

Kendo and I have been dating for about 4 years now. I see her about three times a week for a few hours a day, she even lets me skip a few every once and a while for something important. Kendo is very understanding and lets me have a life outside of practice. But if someone were to come a long and try to make me leave something that I have put 4 years of time a devotion to that person obviously does not know how important it is to me. Or how it is a big part of my life now. Kendo is not only a hobby, it involves other people that you have spent time whacking with sticks. Theres a special bond that two people share after they hit each other with shinai. To ask me to leave would be like asking me to stop seeing half of my good friends. So it would have to be a very very very good reason. And I doubt there are any very very very good reasons for me to quit kendo.

Comment

So for the sake of extreme thinking, what if your g/f was her?

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...=109062&page=6

i was focusing on sayuki matsumoto, but the mazda girl looks hot too.

Tim

Comment

Well, you should know my thoughts on this from other threads. But definitely the principal of someone wanting me to give up a big part of my life, something I enjoy doing so much, would irk me and put up big red flags. It just wouldn't happen. My last relationship the guy I was with didn't want me to start kendo in the first place. Bugger that - it's changed my life! (and for the better). Anyway, his excuse was time and this was when I was only training one night a week and all he ever did was sit in front of his computer and never want to go anywhere so screw him.

As for it being far enough to want someone to stop if they're doing something dangerous though, I have to say if they were doing it before you started seeing each other then tough. Whether it's smoking, abseiling or eating KFC with a history of bowel cancer in the family. You can't live someone else's life for them. If they took up these things after you started seeing them, that's different.

Comment

Martial arts = 22 years

The Mrs = 16 years

I don't think she'd ask for fear of the answer...

Comment

Originally posted by nebosuke
                They would have to go. Not because I necessarily love kendo more than the other person, but because the other person obviously doesn't love me as who I am and thinks they need to change me.
                I totally agree with you, even though I only just started kendo and iaido three months ago... But I'm single anyways.

Comment

My Sensei says he's seen more good kendoka leave because of significant others. I'm glad that I have a wife who appreciates that I do kendo.

Comment

lucky me!

my wife actually sends me away to kendo.

she knows i get crancky if i skipp class.

otherwise i would be wearing a t.shirts that said " my wife told me that she'll leave me if i did kendo, well i'm sure gonna miss her!"

Comment

Originally posted by samurai999

Tim
                      that would make the decision a lot harder...

seriously though, it would probably depend on the reason behind it. there would be a difference between asking me to stop cos she doesn't like it, and asking for a better reason...

Comment

Originally posted by kurisu
                        My Sensei says he's seen more good kendoka leave because of significant others. I'm glad that I have a wife who appreciates that I do kendo.
                        see, this is why i'm glad i've got a bloke who does kendo - still... that's a hard question... don't think i can (or should!) answer it!

Comment

Originally posted by samurai999

Tim
                          if she's shalow, i'd go for kendo, but if she has a good reason, i'd give it up. but it has to be like...if i don't quit then she'll die or something.

Comment

if kendo was something nocive like heavy drinking or smoking, then the question would be somewhat reasonable.... but quitting a physical and mental activity that's meant to keep you sane and healthy... just because your lady is cranky or jealous or whimsical or impulsive.... c'mon.... baby, you know the way to the door... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Paburo
                              baby, you know the way to the door...

Spoken like a true prodigy. Kendo wins hands down.

Of course the real answer to this question is 'my partner/lover/soul mate does kendo'

Comment

Working...
                              X