X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• women hachidan?

Sorry girls, I did not know were to post this one.

I was recently talking to a fellow kenshi who mentioned that she did not think there were very many women who were nanadan, and no women had even been granted hachidan. Is this true?

first off, yep, this is the right place to post this... that's what this forum is for!

I distantly remember my sensei saying that there had never been any women hachidan (something i'm sure all of us aspire to), which is interesting. I would have thought there would be some, seeing as its scientifically proven that women live longer than men anyway, it's a good point, does anyone know of any?

Comment

hachidan in kendo i know not.
      but in mjer theres mrs yabe sensei. and she rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Kitten
        I distantly remember my sensei saying that there had never been any women hachidan (something i'm sure all of us aspire to), which is interesting. I would have thought there would be some, seeing as its scientifically proven that women live longer than men anyway, it's a good point, does anyone know of any?
        Judging on pre/post-war education available for women in Japan, it's not too difficult to understand why women cannot achieve the highest rank as fast as men could in the older generation.

Kendo is pretty male dominated. According to AJKF, only 28% of the registered kendo population in Japan is female. A few years ago I was told there's only 30 or so female nanadan. If hachidan pass rate is 1% then you'll expect only 1 out of 1000 female would be able to make hachidan.

Comment

i think the problem is in the other hachidans (males) because the ``male domination`` in kendo... i think they just dont want a woman hachidan... and can be the same for :``gaijin hachidan``??? at last the examinators habe the last word. so in conclusion, maybe in the future (early or not) the womans and gaijins will can be hachidan (this is a little resume of a conversation with a friend)

Comment

We had a female nanadan visit our dojo earlier this year and our sensei told us outright that no women had made hachidan but a few were going to go for it.

Good luck to them! Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
              We had a female nanadan visit our dojo earlier this year and our sensei told us outright that no women had made hachidan but a few were going to go for it.
              Good luck to them! Yay!
              I suspect that most if not all women nanadan that are allowed to test, do so on a regular basis. I wonder if they end up testing with the men or if they are paired with other women when possible?

Comment

Mrs Wood and Arrowfield

Sorry if this is just referring to kendo but I know of one or two female jodoka who will be up for 8th dan in the next few years and given their history I would say it is quite likely they will get it.

Comment

There is no non-Japanese hachidans? Not even Korean or Chinese?

Comment

i have also heard there are no woman hachidan.
                    but while in kyoto this may, i saw a woman try for it. i also saw a female gaijin test for her nanadan. for some reason i want to say she was from france.

Comment

Originally posted by tgsfg
                      There are plenty of 8 dan in korea. They are not subject to AJKF.

Comment

Originally posted by Karaken
                        There are plenty of 8 dan in korea. They are not subject to AJKF.
                        Are they still part of the IKF though? Is the KKA test just as hard as the AJKF? In order for them to take 8 dan test, doesn't the IKF require you to have 8 dan examiners? So I'm thinking that if there are 8 dans in other countries, the first ones would have had to take the test at Japan first no?

Comment

Hi in Kendo there aren't any, I concur with the figures from you guys.

I was introduced a couple of years back to a Japanese 7 dan, and the hanshi (male teacher) I was with, whispered in my ear, this woman nana-dan is one of the potential candidates for GETTING the 8 dan in Kendo, because a) she was still young enough and b) consistently active in Kendo (ie. no 'career' break, kids break etc) c) just very very good.

ps. Yes I think we're all talking about AJKF.
                          pps. Jenny, dont' go on "typical pass rates" - when the first woman is ready, it will be momentous and it will be granted, rather than saying 1000 women would need to try, you're right about 30 ACTIVE women 7 do exist, and some of their 'cards are marked'.

Comment

Originally posted by tgsfg
                            The Koreans, like the USAicans, grade their own.

Apologies for contributing to thread drift.

Back OT, I think it would be interesting to have access to a database of kendo practitioners around the world: just their name, age, grade, and nationality.

b

Comment

but I know of one or two female jodoka who will be up for 8th dan in the next few years
                              Oh man, that rocks!

Comment

Working...
                              X