Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true too. The shirt I tended to wear was a short of "cool/dry" material, not actual, cotton, now that I recall with assistance.

Comment

Wear what you are comfortable in. Tshirts underneath the gi are generally frowned upon as unnecessary. If you choose to wear one, make sure it's a v cut so it doesn't show above the v in the gi neckline and it shouldn't offend anyone's sense of propriety or aesthetic. For us guys, below the waist options are also based on comfort and hygiene. Some go without undies, but depends on how much you sweat and how much movement you can live with comfortably - I trust I needn't have to explain.

Comment

I wear a regular bra (32D) and a sleeveless tank top that I stole from my brother when he came to visit. I like wearing the tank top because I feel that it soaks up sweat and also it absorbs the dye from my gi so my bra doesn't get stained.

It's all about the comfort factor. Do whatever you need to.

Comment

I have to wear my normal dobok pants because I have a Tae kwan do black belt review directly after kumdo. I usually wear an underarmor type shirt under my keikogi for sweat absorption. Maybe after my blackbelt test I'll start wearing shorts under hakama instead.

Comment

Just a good sports bra under your gi. I buy navy or black because I don't like the navy stains my gi leaves on my white ones.

Wear whatever underwear you feel comfortable in under your Hakama. Some of us beginner girls find our Hakamas start to slip down our hips during a hard training session because we're still trying to work out where on our waist/hips to tie it so it doesn't move! :-) A girl I know wears bike pants because she's paranoid about loosing her Hakama.

Comment

Yeah, I wear a pair of basketball shorts under the hakama, mostly just so I don't have to worry about any circumstance in which the hakama could come undone and leave me standing there indecent. I can't say I'm actually worried that is going to happen, but I figure there's no harm in wearing it, and that way I don't have to spare it a second thought.

I don't wear a t-shirt under the gi, but I do wear a sports bra. I figure the support is a good thing.

The handicap stall in the girls' bathroom is essentially a private changing room, so I don't really have to consider what other people will think if they can't see any of this.

Comment

As a guy, I gingerly enter here to respectfully ask: Has the technology of female support advanced in the 4-1/2 years since this thread began? Commandos are curious, that's all.

Comment

Hey, sorry I'm bumping this thread too. I used to get eczema on my arms and legs, but now it has spread across my back. I wear a cotton singlet under my gi because it's easier to wash, but looking at some above comments I'm getting the impression cotton might not be best? This may be futile, because sweat makes my skin flare up and I'm going to sweat regardless, but does anyone have any thoughts they can offer? I'm 22 so I'm still only just figuring out what I can and can't do, but so far I've found for most of my clothes I have to stick to cotton as sometimes more complicated threads (particularly wool) irritate it also. This may be a losing battle but thought for the sake of desperation I'd ask anyway!

Also, this may not be just Kendo related, but considering I feel itchy once I come home from it I figured it was the main reason. Other factors may include: Japanese washing powder, tatami floors, living in another country, humidity...

Anyone with anything similar have any advice? I will take anything. Also, sorry to gross all of you out.

Comment

tiffany, have you checked with a doctor? That would be my first resource. Isn't there medication or lotions you can use that might help?

Comment

Been to a few in NZ, eczema's hereditary so while lotions will help alleviate it, they'll never make it go away. What brings it out differs from person to person, but generally you get an idea of what you can and can't wear/do/etc. Haven't been to a doc in Japan because I live in a tiny village and don't speak Japanese, but if it's anything like NZ they'll just tell you pretty much the exact same thing. I guess I'm just curious as to the health/irritation factor of having sweaty cotton next to the skin as opposed to gi or another fabric, if anyone knows!

Comment

I imagine you'll have to use trial and error, since what makes your skin sensitive might differ from other people's. But if what you're worried about is the sweat irritating it...have you considered Underarmor or some similar self-wicking material? It should help pull the sweat away from your skin. It's not cotton, it's synthetic, so I don't know what that would do to you (at least it's not wool?)

Anyway, good luck! You could try practicing without the cotton t-shirt and see if it's better or worse than usual.

And yoda...are you really surprised that some women would enjoy talking about clothing?

Comment

4-1/2 years is a long conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by tiffany View Post
                            Been to a few in NZ, eczema's hereditary so while lotions will help alleviate it, they'll never make it go away. What brings it out differs from person to person, but generally you get an idea of what you can and can't wear/do/etc. Haven't been to a doc in Japan because I live in a tiny village and don't speak Japanese, but if it's anything like NZ they'll just tell you pretty much the exact same thing. I guess I'm just curious as to the health/irritation factor of having sweaty cotton next to the skin as opposed to gi or another fabric, if anyone knows!
                            Hi,

I have eczema also. Sweat definitely adds to the irritation. You could try a wicking garment like UnderArmor. I have not had any better result than the cotton t-shirt. I have occasionally had to stop practicing and rinse my arm to reduce the severity of an outbreak. I have had some relief using anti-histamines like Benedryl. Hydrocortizone creams can be very useful once you have throughly cleaned up. I have also found I need to avoid like the plague both silk and wool. In addition, I am risking a flare up if I have both orange juice and tomato products in a 24 hour period.

Heredity is an annoyance, but we get to do KENDO!

PS - don't worry about grossing out the guys.

Good luck and let us know what does work for you.

Comment

Hey, thanks heaps everyone! I will try underarmour, otherwise I'll probably give an antihistamine a go. Just don't want to have to take it everyday! That's interesting about tomato and orange, I might watch that too and see what happens. I usually avoid gluten and it helps a bit, except of course for the dreaded sweat outbreaks! But yes, we can still do Kendo! XD

Comment

Working...
                              X