X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seijuro_hiko
    started a topic gender advantages

gender advantages

Im not very experioenced with kendo as people may have guessed fom my other posts.. I was just wondering if anyone had noticed any specific gender advantages and disadvantages i should look out for when sparring? ie: iof i know that it hurts alot to hit a girl somewhere i will try to avoid it. But all the same if i know that girls are slowed, at say, swings but faster with footwork i will avoid trying to dodge more often when sparring with them.

• tango
    replied
    I really don't know for sure, so take my opinion as just that -- an opinion...

I suspect that many of them practice nuki dou a lot because for shorter people -- and most of the women kendoka I've seen are shorter than a lot of the men -- nuki dou can be an effective waza for them. Anybody who practices specific waza all the time is probably going to be pretty good at it.

Yes, I have also noticed that a lot of women seem good at nuki-dou.
    I also have noticed that a lot of women seem good at debana-kote.

...Then again, I've seen some women nail a taller opponent's men with speed and grace, too.

Leave a comment:

• KATSUJIN
    replied
    i wonder if this is a good thread for me to post this in...

I posted this in the groundrules thread by mistake, so I will ask here...

I noticed tat ladies seem to be better at executing nuki do ( excluding top level kendoka males of course).. atleast this is my observation.. My question is.. how are the ladies able to do it so fluidly and with such an accurate understanding of the timing ?

This question might seem silly.. but hey.. I just wanna understand.. :-)

Leave a comment:

• redbutterfly
    replied
    HAHAHA i couldnt help laughing at some of your posts, not that i am mocking you. i just find them funny

anyway i myself am a girl, and dont show any partiality or favors jsut cause your opponent is a girl cause then you'll be complaining about it.

just dont go easy. be yourself, and dont worry about your opponent. they'd be very poor kendokas if they couldnt take in the injury, ne?
    btw where do you think it would hurt girls?
    for me it's jsut the chest area. very annoying when someone tries to hit the waist but hits at the chest instead.

Leave a comment:

• Halcyon
    replied
    Originally posted by bobdonny
    kendo should not hurt.....

The only time kendo should hurt is when you push yourself, pain should not be inflicted by another.
    Well, not always. Yes, you should try to avoid inflicting pain due to bad technique, but let's face it, pain (both from pushing oneself and from physical contact) is an integral part of kendo.

Leave a comment:

• samurai80
    replied
    A good match by the way.

Leave a comment:

• samurai80
    replied
    I was at the match. Her name is Satomi, she is with the Charlotte dojo like myself. I thought you were trying the bully approach at first, but the sincere apology at the end was enough to convince me that this was not a case of bullying.

Leave a comment:

• bullet08
    replied

The only time kendo should hurt is when you push yourself, pain should not be inflicted by another.
    well.. that all depends.. last friday's practice, we were doing shiai geiko. one of the new folks decided that he wanted to try out new waza.. doh. soon after the hajime, he swung one at me when there was no opening. did it hurt? pain is very subjective.

pete

Leave a comment:

• bobdonny
    replied
    well well, very religious here

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Inner
    this is one of the MANY things that pelao tought me and i really agree:

kendo hurts, if people dont like it that way... well, the door is really big.

besides, i really believe that you are learning kendo while it hurts, but it means that it hurt physically and/or in the heart. and we grow up when in despite of that we go on and enjoy the learning.
    Pelao Also told me a couple of things or two and one of them was you have to push yourself but not that kendo hurts.

I agree with that AMEN!!!
    Last edited by Kitsune; 24th November 2006, 10:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cesarekim
    replied

AMEN to that!

Leave a comment:

• bobdonny
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Inner_Silence
    replied
    Originally posted by Kitsune
    Well, somtimes that happens cos girls are not use to do any kind of martial discipline at least here in Chile, so when someone treats them like a soldier they think they're hated to the gutts. That's it.

this is one of the MANY things that pelao tought me and i really agree:

kendo hurts, if people dont like it that way... well, the door is really big.

besides, i really believe that you are learning kendo while it hurts, but it means that it hurt physically and/or in the heart. and we grow up when in despite of that we go on and enjoy the learning.
    Last edited by Inner_Silence; 24th November 2006, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Inner_Silence

i found strange that what some guy could find something as a simply all of attention, after that same thing a girl take it as an offense.
    im not sayng that this happens always.. im sayng what happened that day...

Well, somtimes that happens cos girls are not use to do any kind of martial discipline at least here in Chile, so when someone treats them like a soldier they think they're hated to the gutts. That's it.

Leave a comment:

• seijuro_hiko
    replied
    I would personally say that you are all chivalrous gentlemen and not brutish kendo practitioners. The fact that you bothered to apologise after that proves that you have more morals than those who bully with physical strength in any form of competition.
    Dont feel bad for knocking the poor woman over too. if she seemed ok with it she probably was. I think it may have even given her an experience to train herself from and improve by. Theres a quote from a hollywood film, the last samurai (no groans please), that i agree with.. "Too much mind.." Simply meaning you are spendiong too much time worrying and thinking to accomplish what you are supposed to. Dont worry so much, as long as you know you arent a brute and dont act like a brute then noone else will think you are. Asking your sensei is a good idea to do though too as i would agree with neil on that aspect.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X