Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow Kendo Lady Brits

Hi there,
    I need your perspective!, you see, Im returning from my Japan life to resume living in the UK again from April after a long long absence. Its no secret that this is a very painful and quite scary decision, but that aside Im looking forward to continuing Kendo in the UK. The only thing is that I have very little idea of how ladies kendo is in Britain. Here, my local club has a nice balance of male and female sensei, and there are plenty of children. To be honest the club acts like an extended family and I have really enjoyed the atmosphere and being taught by fellow women.
    Naturally Im not expecting to find this situation outside Japan, but what is the female Kendo vibe like back at home?? Are we a rare breed?? Are most dojo testosterone loaded?! Honestly I have no idea what to expect- could you fill me in please!?:

sorry I know you wanted a ladys view.. but

In the Manchester area, the clubs I know there is a 30/70 split of women to men on average. Varying in ages. Rachel who attends Bolton is 14 and a very fierce fencer.
    There is no macho-ism or testosterone flying about .. we are all too interested in Kendo.

Comment

UCL has plenty of ladies who attend regularly, and whilst not an near an even split you can usually see 3 or 4 ladies there, which for aclub with an average attendance of 25 isn't too bad (I hope!).

Comment

Cheers GUYS!
        No really I mean it- thanks, nice to know I wont be too alone!
        The next question I suppose is where to be based- there are more clubs in the UK than I thought and a of course big clubs in the bigger cities.....hmmm, where to live......based on kendo......can it be done?!!

In the meantime I wonder will any girls reply??! please!!...very large onegaishimasu.

Comment

Originally posted by Shikkari View Post
          Cheers GUYS!
          No really I mean it- thanks, nice to know I wont be too alone!
          The next question I suppose is where to be based- there are more clubs in the UK than I thought and a of course big clubs in the bigger cities.....hmmm, where to live......based on kendo......can it be done?!!

In the meantime I wonder will any girls reply??! please!!...very large onegaishimasu.
          I suggest Charlotte Street, London. Not only is it named after a girl, but I've heard there is a brilliant kendo club there too.....

Comment

So just the small matter of plum position and tasteful pad to sort then?!
            and one more thing, dear great I AM, do I hear a bias in your recommendation?

Comment

So just the small matter of plum position and tasteful pad to sort then?!
              and one more thing, dear great I AM, do I hear a bias in your recommendation?
              Surely not!

Oh and by plum position I hope you don't mean what I am thinking.......

Comment

..........Carry on Kendo???

Oh, the wonder of the English language!!!!, so versatile, so creative and so rusty right now- forgive me.
                So why dont you ask some of your fellow girl UCL members to reply to me between beers or bouts??

Comment

..........Carry on Kendo???

Oh, the wonder of the English language!!!!, so versatile, so creative and so rusty right now- forgive me.
                  So why dont you ask some of your fellow girl UCL members to reply to me between beers or bouts??
                  I'm not sure how many use KW. Register on our website forum and put something there, I'll vouch for you!

Comment

Will do then, cheers.
                    That was a damn quick change of your logo!
                    How do you do that and avoid those ready done jobs??
                    Great to hear from you- keep up the good work or lack of it.
                    Im off to my futon now...no plums about though.
                    ja ne.

Comment

I have girly hair, does that count?

Comment

Forget those London types. Come to bonny Scotland. We at glasgow have 3 godan teachers and a female 4th dan.

And while we don't have that many girls (only 7 max) we always welcome more!

Check us out at www.kendoglasgow.net

IThankYou!

P.S: You'll probably be able to afford something bigger that a matchbox to live in as well!
                        Last edited by shred_lord; 26th March 2007, 01:08 AM. Reason: So as not to make myself a target to the London Types :)

Comment

Or you could contemplate the north west,

not only do we undenialbly have the best-looking kendo players in Britain (both male and female ), we are also home to several female dan grades, including the current British ladies champion...
                          Last edited by D'Artagnan; 26th March 2007, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                            not only do we undenialbly have the best-looking kendo players in Britain (both male and female ),
                            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! My god you're predictable! HAHAHAHA HEHEHE HOHOHO I knew you were going to say something like that!! In fact I'm impressed you let the women share your limelight!

Comment

Originally posted by shred_lord View Post
                              you're predictable!

but honest

you know its true baby

Comment

Working...
                              X