X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xvikingx View Post
    Menger!!! When are you coming back? If my wife and I can't make it out to Boston this year I think I'm going to head over to KL.
    Tentatively Donny and I are planning a trip around the same time as last year. So October it is!

Ooo...tell me when you plan to visit and I'll take you and your missus around.

Comment

Yeah baby. You must come to the dojo this time and get what’s coming to you. KL is still up in the air but my plans to travel back to the States always seem to fall through, so it’s a good possibility. If not this year, definitely next year.

Comment

Hmmmm, I think its realy a matter of, men dont care where they change, and women do care where(who they change in front of) they change.

I have not met many women who would just start getting changed infront of the Men. But I have seen many men get changed infront of the women, because there is not much to expose. All you migt get to see is some leg and chest, none of the private parts, while many consider all the parts of the women to be "private". And I agree! I would feel uncomfortable if a women was changing infront of everyone in the Dojo. I usually see the women go to a private room to change.

I might not be making much sense, but what the hell.

Comment

I guess decorum is not a custom in kendo reigi.

Comment

guys usually dont care our club doesnt. girls can go in a sepperate room if they feel like it, doesnt matter to us.

about them asking why you didnt leave sooner, they are just fishing for compliments "because we love looking at your muscular physique!"

there is no need for you to feel unconfortable. just ignore it

btw I didnt know it was possible to take of your undies with your hakama on? I usually do it after I put on gi, before putting hakama on. gi covers most of it exposure is minimal and you'd really have to look closely to catch a glimps

Comment

Originally posted by SmellsLikeBogu View Post
              btw I didnt know it was possible to take of your undies with your hakama on? I usually do it after I put on gi, before putting hakama on. gi covers most of it exposure is minimal and you'd really have to look closely to catch a glimps
              If you can put up with everyone laughin at you, try it! One of the guys here can do it in 15 seconds flat. He seems to pull one leg up like a stork, fish around, then do the same with the other leg. Kinda like that walk-off in Zoolander.

Comment

I do not want to emphasize my reputation as a stumbling-falling-over kinda guy my first shiai I went rolling over the floor for all of belgian kendoka to see Ill try in private first then impress all the ladies with my newly found skills

Comment

in our dojo, most women go to locker room to change. you guys should visit highland games. ton of women changing their dresses in the middle of the field, and doesn't care if there's anyone around to look at them. they have to be at the platform for the dance contest, and don't have time to look for places to change dresses between the competition. then again, most men wear kilt.. and kilt is much easier to put on then hakama.

pete

Comment

heck - we have to pass thru the men's changing rooms to get from the dojo to the women's changing rooms... usually we don't care. Just yell "make yourselves decent" or someone goes "Oh hi laura!" really loud so any guys who are (*ahem) body conscious can cover their bits!

To be honest we dont really care. I get changed in there with them most of the time, i turn up wearing sports bra and very short cycling short type things under my normal clothes and i shower at home. the guys are gents and look the other way and the girls dont make a big thing of it.

you guys should visit highland games. ton of women changing their dresses in the middle of the field
                    and try historical re-enacting. I dress as a bloke on the field and a girl in camp, i change in the middle of camp because that's where it's easiest (try putting a full chemise, corset, stays, and four skirts on in a tent!) - although that's a situation where you're more likely to get grabbed in a "I got me a saucy wench, want to share?" kind of way!!

Comment

I guess decorum is not a custom in kendo reigi.
                      I guess your idea of decorum is not a custom in kendo reigi. Everyone has to remember that this is a Japanese art, and the Japanese are much less body concious than most of the western nations tend to be. First time I was in Japan, I got in on a few iaido practices at a little tiny dojo in Kawasaki. Was wondering where to go change when everyone else just began changing where they were. Not sure if I was more embarrassed about the 60 something fellow with the hearts on his boxers, or his 60 something wife with the hello kitty panties! By the third practice, I didn't even think about it. Because they didn't notice, I found that I didn't notice either.

Just my two cents.

Comment

You "freedom-Commando" Kendo folk are wilder and crazier than I'll ever be...

Comment

Originally posted by Bailee View Post
                          So...How do you folks handle it when a room full of men (including visiting sensei) just starting changing? Our little band of women feel out of place, like they are forcing us to leave or just making us feel plain akward (sorry!).

Is this something that doesn't bother the men? Or do they assume that since the women are in the minority we should leave? I mean we're talking 4 gals to 50+ men.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were...
                          its the norm for the minority of wimmin (usualy the numbers just being 1 in iai, i.e me) to change elsewhere
                          this is after changing in the same room as blokes when i was a kid at judo.
                          i figured iai training sessions would be the same but got advised to use the ladies loo instead

if you change into keikogi first, then take off trousers, noone can see your knickers-geniousness

Comment

if you change into keikogi first, then take off trousers, noone can see your knickers-geniousness
                            Sure, take all the fun out of it party-pooper!

Comment

we have women in our club that are present when we change. but everyone is pretty mature about it. By the time we are done we have very little time: we need to change and get out of there and lock up the place.

Comment

We have to get changed in the toilets anyway, so it's not really a problem for us...

Some of the looks we get from people coming into the toilets can be quite amusing though.

Comment

Working...
                                X