Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBB or Standard Titanium Men (specific to smaller women)

Hello,

I have a question. I know there are quite a few threads regarding titanium/aluminum/IBB men and my question is the same (which is better) but I want to target it to women.

I am a very small girl (5'4", 110lbs) and find that my current men is too heavy and I get tired very quickly, not just in practices but even in short 3 minute shiai matches. Therefore, I'm looking to buy a lighter men.

I think my current men is standard titanium (about 2.5-3 pounds) but I'm not sure as my sensei purchased the set for me and I haven't seen him in a while to be able to ask.

I know aluminum is lighter but I prefer the strength of titanium so my specific question is do any of you have an IBB titanium men? I've read that although it is 100 grams heavier than standard titanium, it feels like you don't have anything on because of the gravity shift. Is it true and would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Originally posted by superDuper View Post
    I know aluminum is lighter but I prefer the strength of titanium
    Why? Have you had a lot of taiatari where the mengane crash? That's really the only reason to require the strength of titanium, duraluminum is not going to bend from getting hit with a shinai. I think most of us who practice recreationally don't really need the titanium.

Comment

http://www.chibabogu.com/catalog/inf...85277b76f13dda

The above does not recommend the IBB titanium to smaller persons due to it's extra weight, so I guess the construction doesn't make too much of a difference.

I have an all standard titanium men myself, and it is definetively heavier than my previous, a IBB aluminium men. It took a little while getting used to the extra weight. I don't think I could use an IBB titanium men. I'm a woman, 5'6" and much heavier than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
        Why? Have you had a lot of taiatari where the mengane crash? That's really the only reason to require the strength of titanium, duraluminum is not going to bend from getting hit with a shinai. I think most of us who practice recreationally don't really need the titanium.
        Oh, by strength, I meant that the men'll last me longer (years). I practice 3-4 times a week, I'm not sure what recreational training means? I like the idea of having a lighter aluminum men but I'm not sure about the possibility of it denting.

Originally posted by H.Sandsleth View Post
        http://www.chibabogu.com/catalog/inf...85277b76f13dda

The above does not recommend the IBB titanium to smaller persons due to it's extra weight, so I guess the construction doesn't make too much of a difference.

I have an all standard titanium men myself, and it is definetively heavier than my previous, a IBB aluminium men. It took a little while getting used to the extra weight. I don't think I could use an IBB titanium men. I'm a woman, 5'6" and much heavier than you.
        Why did you switch to titanium, did the aluminum one bend? So, if I want a lighter men, should I go with maybe and IBB Aluminum men instead?

Comment

So, if I'm not doing frequent taiatari where the mengane crash, I probably don't need titanium and can get safely aluminum?

Thanks for your replies by the way. This is my first time posting.

Comment

Originally posted by superDuper View Post
            Oh, by strength, I meant that the men'll last me longer (years).
            I used my duraluminum men for about 18 years, and retired it only because the padding on top was getting soft - the mengane is still perfectly fine.
            I practice 3-4 times a week, I'm not sure what recreational training means?
            By recreational I mean exactly what you are doing, training a few times a week. People who are serious competitors and going to a lot of hard training sessions are more likely to need the stronger mengane. I think at your size, an aluminum one is best. I wasn't aware IBB made one in aluminum, it's certainly something to look into.

Comment

Thanks Neil! I see your posts everywhere on this forum, thanks for all your helpful information. =D

Comment

Where are you training?

Comment

I train with a new (and tiny) Korean dojang in Mississauga (CHDKA). We were just very recently registered with the CKF, I think in April?

PS. I looked for IBB Duralumin men but could only find it selling here: http://www.moribudo.co.jp/english/ None of the other popular online stores have it (as far as I've searched). I guess it's not very well known~?

Comment

I had a 5mm IBB aluminium men from Moribudogu. I wanted to upgrade it, because it was so small that I couldn't fit a men pad in it. It also got soft on the top after some use, so I got a lot of nasty headaches. So I am not sure that it is something that I would recommend. The mengane didn't bend or anything, but there was some strange metallic sounds and vibrations when I got hit. Could have been the men construction overall, or something to do with the mengane.

Kendoshop does have the IBB dura aluminium, it is 2mm: https://www.kendoshop.com/Eng/index....00&number=1006

Other vendors have regular dura aluminium in 2mm. I wouldn't go with a 4-5 mm men for a shorter person unless it is from Chiba Bogu or similar costum made. Since the shorter ones need more protection since they get more downward force on top of their heads. Just my opinion.

Comment

I can show you several choices in 4 mm men that would be better than almost any 2 mm men you've seen. Don't judge bogu by stitch width alone.

Comment

Examples would be good...in most online shops the lower stitch seems of lesser quality.

Comment

If you look here, check out the S20 set, which they say is 3.5 mm but is usually shown as 4 mm in Koei's catalog. You'll note it's about 50% more expensive than Kendoshop's 2 mm set or Sehyun's standard 2 mm set. That might mean you're getting a fantastic deal from Kendoshop or Sehyun, but in my experience you get what you pay for.
                          Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 8th August 2007, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Well certainly Koei makes excellent bogu. I wouldn't be surprised if it is better quality all around than the kendoshop one despite the stitch difference.

Comment

The stitch width in machine-made bogu is a small factor in contributing to the cost, but is an obvious measurement that everyone tends to jump on.

Comment

Working...
                              X