X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curves

has anyone here tried curves? you know, its the 30 minute, circuit workout on a variety of hydraulic machines. is anyone familar with this type of workout, using this type of machine? how do they rate in the world of workout equipment?

and there was me thinking you were talking about womanly curves
    ...erm, no i havent tried it, sorry
    i find gymn things boring. just do more kendo

Comment

i do plenty of kendo, but kendo does not cover all areas of the body equally. plus, i need to build more muscle. i am sick of the flab.

Comment

Curves is a very light workout aimed at really out of shape people. If you're an active kendoka, you'd probably find it too easy.

If you want to build muscle, eat lots of protein and lift heavy. Here's a great place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
          Curves is a very light workout aimed at really out of shape people. If you're an active kendoka, you'd probably find it too easy.

If you want to build muscle, eat lots of protein and lift heavy. Here's a great place to start.
          Just try tossing Mike around the house a few times a day.....LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by rottunpunk View Post
            and there was me thinking you were talking about womanly curves
            ...erm, no i havent tried it, sorry
            i find gymn things boring. just do more kendo
            I just thought the same

And yeah the same answer, no not familiar with it, sorry

Comment

+1 to Neil's comment.

It seems like a place where people with no clue how to exercise learn how. It serves a great purpose because that is a problem here, but I'd recommend going elsewhere.

Comment

Neko,

If you are used to the intense pace of kendo, Curves will bore you. Do you have a membership to any gym? Most gyms have free (well, you pay your membership fee of course) spinning and lift classes that are much better than Curves. Also, you can do things at your pace, so if you feel like kicking butt, that's great, but if you feel a little lazy you can relax and just spend your hour or so at that 60% intensity level. I do spinning and it is the best cardio ever! fun, too.

also,

I would avoid hydraulic machines if I could. Its just my opinion (definitely far from an expert), but without them you get a better overall workout because you are using your core muscles with every workout. I don't even use weights; I just do pilates/yoga, and my core is way stronger than it used to be...so are my legs, butt, arms, etc. And since my core has gotten stronger, so has my kendo, so there's an extra benefit right there.
                Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 19th August 2007, 11:55 PM.

Comment

If you want something that compliments kendo training, try runing and bike, both are really good with resistence and stamina. I f you want to train parts of your body that you don't think kendo are training, try sit-ups and push ups, those are great fr it.

Comment

A few female friends and colleagues have joined curves over the years. I am afraid I have never seen any dramatic results from them doing it (opposed to weight watchers). In fact I think most got bored out of it.

I think it works better for middle aged/senior or people who had absolutely no physical activity for a number of years. Is a good introduction to exercise if you fit the type, but is not going to get you an aerobics instructor type of body.

I say join the gym and get a program made (including a diet) to suit your goals, this is working out great for me. To quote someone (can't remeber who) from a another thread your nutrition will make a major difference, if you don't eat right you will loose muscle mass, instead of flab alone. You will loose weight but still look somewaht flabby.

Comment

thanks everyone for all of the replies. i was looking into curves because it is so close to my house, but didn't really know much about it. you have seemed to confirm what i was already suspecting. thanks again. now that narrows it down to the Y/gym or yoga. what do you guys think of yoga?

Comment

Yoga is awesome!!! I don't do it because I have other things I prefer, but my wife has done quite a bit. There is the relaxing stretching type. Then she's done this muscle building version of yoga where you still hold certain poses and it doesn't look like much, but it was designed to really exercise the body. She loved it. Sorry, I forget the name, but the point is that yoga can be tailored to train in many different ways and even though it looks easy, it can be one of the hardest workouts you can get if you find the right type and a good teacher. I would also say that yoga is the type of exercise that will help to sustain you into old age, unlike other exercise and sports that ruin the body and you can't continue as you get older.

Comment

yoga is great! It definitely has made me stronger and better balanced. I have a lot more control of muscles I was hardly aware of two years ago. And it does a nice job of sculpting and stretching your muscles, too. There is a lot of focus on breathing, and that can help with kendo.

The only caveat is that while yoga certainly has its benefits, it is not a cardiovascular exercise. If you want to lose the flab, you have to re-adjust eating habits and do at least 30 min of cardio 4-5 times per week (well, that is what I have been told by people, again I am not an expert in any way! BTW kendo counts! ). But you can do this by biking or running; there is no need to join a fancy class...however, sometimes the support of a class with an instructor helps. I bike pretty hard on my own now, but I don't know if I would have been so motivated had I not joined a spinning class about two years ago. I should mention though, you don't need to go very hard unless you are trying to improve your stamina or speed or something. A good hour of 60% cardio helps to lose fat. Some people even say that is better than going hard because then you aren't just burning up pure carbs.

Comment

I have never done any yoga myself, but I have a relative that does it regularly, he has always been fairly slim and wiry, (he also does a fair ammount of exercise like cycling). He is always singing its praises for physical conditioning and relaxation. I am sure that you can ask your local yoga teacher about that. But I would agree with the fact that a bit of cardio on the side will probably help a lot
                            Last edited by JCM; 20th August 2007, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I haven't tried yoga myself, but a lot of people like it. However, if your primary goal is to build muscle, eat more and lift heavy.

Comment

Working...
                              X