X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vain and frippy girl-question

So I was meeting a friend I haven't seen in forever, and decided I wanted to look particularly nice. Went to the closet, grabbed a favourite shirt, pulled it on--didn't fit quite right. Must have shrunk in the wash, I thought, 'cause it's all wrong 'round the shoulders.
    Grabbed another shirt, pulled it on--same exact problem. I'm sure you see where this is going. Oh, damn. Fully a third of my(admittedly small)wardrobe doesn't fit me correctly anymore, because I've put on enough muscle across the shoulders and in my arms to make my clothes uncomfortable. I've always been lithe, which I suppose has given me less margin for growth before it's time to go shopping again.

And then I went to get new shoes, which is a twice-yearly event for me, maybe; I haven't had girl-shoes in ages, which means that a lot of my more lovely girl-clothing has stayed in the closet. Combat boots are fine with taffeta skirts that come to my toes--not so fine with something delicate and above the knee, at least on me, so I figured I'd get myself an actual pair of heels. And predictably, my feet have changed too. There's some styles that just don't look good anymore, and stuff I just don't want to wear because it feels wrong. Callus and muscle get in the way.

None of this bothers me, it's just kind of interesting. I consider it to be an uneven trade in my favour, if I give up a little bit of my girlishness in trade for confidence and balance and stillness and swiftness and a firmer sort of beauty. But I was wondering--what are some of the downsides you guys have noticed to doing kendo, that maybe the lads wouldn't have to deal with?

(also, this wing of the forum's awfully quiet right now, innit?)

im bored, i shall enter the world of girlyness and answer

as you know im more of an iai person
    this (especially over the past year and a half from coming back to training most nights of the week from a break out)
    has given me a pot belly which is most un nice
    i also have huge thighs, so trousers are loose around the waste but too tight around the tops of my legs
    also, long sleeve blouses that fit the body dig in and cut off blood supply becaise of my forearms
    ive never been a heely shoe person and have wide feet anyways
    i did manage to find a bargain pair of slip on shoes that actually fit the width of my foot and dont look too stupid though
    ...they were in te kids section at barrats

hard life eh?

Comment

From a guys standpoint, when I'm away from the dojo due to work, injury or just personal crap I tend to put on wieght....... however when i go to train two/three days a week for about two hours at a go, my weight goes back down to normal and so does my pant size...LOL....34 not 38.......(chubtastic) when I'm a 38 I could probably use my Do as a clip on......

Comment

Originally posted by rottunpunk View Post
        im bored, i shall enter the world of girlyness and answer

as you know im more of an iai person
        this (especially over the past year and a half from coming back to training most nights of the week from a break out)
        has given me a pot belly which is most un nice
        i also have huge thighs, so trousers are loose around the waste but too tight around the tops of my legs
        also, long sleeve blouses that fit the body dig in and cut off blood supply becaise of my forearms
        ive never been a heely shoe person and have wide feet anyways
        i did manage to find a bargain pair of slip on shoes that actually fit the width of my foot and dont look too stupid though
        ...they were in te kids section at barrats

hard life eh?
        And whats ya point here Debs ?

Comment

that stereotypes are difficult/annoying to overcome?

Comment

Well it happened to me too, just buy some new t shirts, a bit bigger but still girly and that's it, cos the new body you have that will stick with you for a while.

Oh, yeah, BTW, now you have to watch what you eat to or you will win some weight (that happened to me too, but with training and healthy food there is no way you get big, just a lot of muscles)

Comment

As long as you dont gaiin too much muscle its fine.

"Women" like that scare the crap out of me...

Comment

Originally posted by Keegs View Post

A normal woman will not be able to turn into this no matter how hard she tries. Steroid ring any bell?

As for me, I find that my body is more tone except my arms. The right arm is twice the size of the left arm. (Yes, I'm still trying not to use too much of my right arm. ) Hence finding a suitable top might be a bit of difficulty.

Comment

i swear thats jst a man with good hair and some makeup
                  when shes older she will be like this http://www.jibjab.com/view/229163

not as scary as this though
                  http://www.jibjab.com/view/129113

Comment

sorry, but thats gross!!!

Comment

Yeah, can't wear the same heels as I used to :\ Not that I wore heels all the time, but I did like them when going out. Especially the first two years of doing kendo, I had to live in my running shoes. After the changing stops, you can go shopping again for a few essentials. Got me some nice, but admittedly low, heels now though Can't walk around in 4+ inches all day and expect to be chipper in the dojo lol Lucky for me it wasn't a habit anyway.

As for tops, if you're self conscious about the arm muscle, maybe avoid shirts that cut the sleeve high on the shoulder since it tends to emphasis that. If you're looking for something girly, a puff sleeve that covers the shoulder with an elastic at the end works (like this: http://www.girlshandbook.com/uploade...low-747106.jpg )

Downside of doing kendo...? Having women come up to me after seeing my bruises and trying to get me to break up with Kendo, because clearly it's an unhealthy relationship LOL Other than that...I haven't really noticed any draw backs that guys wouldn't also have :\

Comment

Originally posted by Naginatagirl View Post

As for tops, if you're self conscious about the arm muscle, maybe avoid shirts that cut the sleeve high on the shoulder since it tends to emphasis that.
                        Androgyny pleases me, personally--I like the new muscles quite a bit. It's just all the clothes-shopping I've got to go do now that's a bit of an annoyance.

Originally posted by Naginatagirl View Post
                        Downside of doing kendo...? Having women come up to me after seeing my bruises and trying to get me to break up with Kendo, because clearly it's an unhealthy relationship
                        Ha! That must make for some uncomfortable discussions, if they don't believe you...

Comment

Don't worry too much about it, luv. A little muscle on the womenfolk is much appreciated by the menfolk, 'specially if it's the byproduct of exercise, good nutrition, and some mean, kick-butt kendo!

Me? I'd rather get rid of my teddy-bear tummy pronto! I look like *bleh* in a hakama!

Mark

Comment

"Thats a man Baby!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Miravil View Post
                              A normal woman will not be able to turn into this no matter how hard she tries. Steroid ring any bell?

As for me, I find that my body is more tone except my arms. The right arm is twice the size of the left arm. (Yes, I'm still trying not to use too much of my right arm. ) Hence finding a suitable top might be a bit of difficulty.
                              You are completely correct. Without 'juicing' women cannot gain that kind of mass and form.....no matter how hard they train. I haven't met a single pro bodybuilder that hasn't done it (male or female).......and the handful of behemoths that claim they dont are lying....plain as that. You see a huuuuge difference in the amateur classes compared to the pros in that regard...amateurs tend to be built but have good symetry and form whereas pros...welll you get the picture.......ick.

Comment

Working...
                              X