Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this maybe a odd question

hi all.
    im hopefully going to order my gi and hakama soon and i have a few questions.
    does anyone use a shitagi (under gi wear) if so is there any benefits for it.
    where do you measure from for your hakama, i have heard from the hip but also from the belly button.

any help would be good.
    thanks

Originally posted by miss kitty View Post
    hi all.
    im hopefully going to order my gi and hakama soon and i have a few questions.
    does anyone use a shitagi (under gi wear) if so is there any benefits for it.
    where do you measure from for your hakama, i have heard from the hip but also from the belly button.

any help would be good.
    thanks
    Depending on the weather, I wear juban. (Shitagi refers to undergarments of all sorts.) During summer, it works a bit like a Hydrex lining. During winter, it makes separate layers, so that when a breeze blows across my sweaty body, I don't get that instant chill. Juban are also nice for seminars or the like. You can pack several juban in the same space one keikogi would take, so you can put on a dry inner-layer for each session without having to haul along a foot-locker full of keikogi. Also, when wearing one, your keikogi isn't in direct contact with your body, so takes longer to get smelly. This is nice if you're in a situation where you can't wash your keikogi after every practice.

For hakama, normally women wear them tied at the narrowest part of their waists. It seems that even if they don't tie it there initially, it ends up there anyway. This tends to be pretty high and above the belly button.

For sizing, the absolute easiest way is to try someone else's on and see how much longer or shorter you want your own.

Comment

Well, a sempai told me once that in kendo men shouldn't wear anything under the keikogi and women can use a bra or a more traditional underwear (a sort of bandage arround the chest). So if you can ask your sempais and sensei what do they think about the underwear then make a decision.

About the sizes, you need to know how tall are you and then buy a gi and a hakama that matches that or get close to that, or you will trip or look like a kendo nerd

Comment

Going Commando is gross.

not to mention unsanitary.

Comment

I said keikogi, not hakama, that means no t shirts

Comment

Originally posted by Lady_Kitsune View Post
            I said keikogi, not hakama, that means no t shirts
            Now you're talking.

Comment

Girls tend to tie the hakama at the waist, not the hips. So going from your height will probably give you a hakama that is too short. Measure from where a belt confortably sits on you to your ankle bone, then find the hakama that fits that length.

I dont wear anything under my gi except a bra, but here its pretty hot. I wash my gi every two weeks generally.

Comment

I wear sports bra and sport tights under my hakama and gi. Haven't been any trouble and I know I'm covered enough for any accidents.

Comment

Hi, if is Kendo you do the undergarments may not be needed if the Dojo you attend is warm enough, even on cold days I am usually overheating at the end of the class. Try without it and see how you get on. In regards to a sports bra I am afraid I cannot help.

Careful when measuring, check the manufacturers website, most of what I've seen is to measure from the hip to the ankle. And as Alison, I tie it to my waist too. Hope this helps

Comment

thank you for all you help, it is much appreciated.

Comment

Just for info, I found back this old thread:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6095

Comment

Most of the suppliers size hakama by your overall height. The ones I've dealt with (Koei, e-bogu, AOI) all seem to size about the same. For men, if between sizes I usually recommend going down one, as the charts fit a little long IMO. For most women if you are slim, you can stick to the chart, probably up to the next size if between sizes. If you are more curvy it's going to sit higher, maybe go up a size. Kent's advice to try some on if possible is very good.

Comment

thank you for all your help.
                          im the shortest woman/person in my dojo,(and possibly the world ) so i was wondering if i could go to a store and try one or two on, the only problem with that is im not sure if there is any in my area . hampshire u.k.??
                          im reasonably curvy (small waist ,big butt) so i am think i would wear it higher.
                          thanks again for everyones help

Comment

probably a 1,60 mts. uniform will do for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzan View Post
                              Going Commando is gross.

not to mention unsanitary.
                              hahaha.

i lol'd.

Comment

Working...
                              X