X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white bogu?

hello everyone i have another question to ask( i feel bad always asking questions but i don't know anyone else who does kendo). i will hopefully be buying my first bogu next month and i was wondering if i should buy the white bogu. I don't really understand the difference between the white one and the blue one? is it made to fit a womens body better or is it for show? My sister told me she wanted me to buy the white one no matter how much it cost. but i don't want to stand out and get my butt beaten. What would you do if you saw a beginner wearing a white bogu? Maybe i should just buy the blue one?

There have been a few threads on this already - girls generally are allowed to wear white (if your sensei is happy with that of course). It isnt made any differently to blue bogu in terms of fitting a womans body. Unless you are ok with standing out and are happy to take the time and effort to look after white bogu, then go with blue.

I personally love my white bogu and would never change to blue.

Comment

Hello Cruzemi,
      Generally speaking, White Bogu is for girls, and Blue is for the rest of us slobs, but truthfully, most people, men and women, wear the Blue type. the spare Bogu colors that there are don't really a firm rule anywhere, it's just sort of an unspoken thing, and varies from Dojo to Dojo
      You'll also see high ranking Sensei wearing White Bogu, but not often.
      To be honest with you, during Keiko, I am not thinking of Bogu color, but you may get a few stares if you choose white and you are not a girl though.
      The choice is up to you of course, but If it were me, I would:

1. Ask my Sensei
      2. Get the regular Blue Bogu.

Right now you are just starting out. It will help to focus on things like Bogu maintenance, (which BTW white Bogu is notoriously hard to clean, Just ask Alison) and just getting used to the feel of it, putting it on and taking it off, and so forth. You should not have to deal with the added pressure you might feel with getting something no one else has.
      There will be plenty of time for that later as hopefully you decide you like Kendo and it's for you.

Good luck,
      I hope that helped you in some way.

P.s.
      And whatever you do, don't get the infamous Red Bogu:

That's reserved for me when I make Hachi-dan.
      Last edited by Kenzan; 18th May 2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

LOL i swear i will never wear the red bogu.

yeah i don't wanna stand out and i clean it. I told my sister that but she insists on me getting it. I guess since she is not going to be the one scrubbing away the blue marks she doesn't care. BTW i'm a girl.

thanks for the advice!

Comment

Wow,
          love the red bogu - add a red hakama and kekogi and you'll look just like an imperial guard from star wars! I think I'll commission a nice green bogu when I get to Hachi-Dan

Comment

hehehe, as long as you leap out of sonkyu like a frog.

Comment

kendo frog - I like it. perhaps the frog hop could be my way to get round my frankly awful fumikomi

Comment

I've added the following to the bogu FAQ:

White bogu, usually with red doh, are sometimes worn by women. Feel free to get a white bogu if you are female and it's OK with your sensei. You should be aware of some problems with white bogu. They are hard to keep clean, and best worn with white keikogi/hakama for that reason. Also most of the more serious women wear blue because better quality sets usually aren't available in white.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzan View Post

P.s.

I think you'd be the first Hachi-dan to be excommunicated from the ZNKR.

Besides if you wear red bogu you need this
                  and you'd have to wear it like this

get all three, wear them to class, take a picture of yourself dressed in all that, survive the wraith of you sensei and I'll +rep you daily for a year

how's that for a deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Kagerou View Post
                    I think you'd be the first Hachi-dan to be excommunicated from the ZNKR.

Besides if you wear red bogu you need this
                    and you'd have to wear it like this

get all three, wear them to class, take a picture of yourself dressed in all that, survive the wraith of you sensei and I'll +rep you daily for a year

how's that for a deal?
                    ROFL Made me laugh for ages that. Particularly love the backward hakama guy... one of those who just bought it for fun rather than actually training.

+Rep

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                      Also most of the more serious women wear blue because better quality sets usually aren't available in white.
                      Maybe most of the serious women you met do but i hardly think it is that clear cut. I know there are handmade white sets that go for far more than the equivalent indigo sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagerou View Post

Proof that many people have no shame - and rarely look in a mirror with a critical eye.....

Comment

Originally posted by still learning View Post
                          Proof that many people have no shame - and rarely look in a mirror with a critical eye.....
                          You miss the point...

You opponent is so dazzled trying to count the ying/yang images that you whack them on the head with your wallhanger!!

Comment

I want to wear white cos I think the white bogu is pretty and my sempais like the idea. The thing etween that and me is that is a bit more expensive than the blue bogu, so for now I have a blue one, but if your sempais and sensei is ok with it and you have the money and you have onle you like, please go for ir you won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzan View Post

P.s.

Ah, If I had the money I would so order that as a joke.

Comment

Working...
                              X