Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i get my wife to practice kendo?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do i get my wife to practice kendo?

    She is incharge of the kendo team at her school and looks like it will be that way for 6 years. however the school has a volunteer coach which means she can skip any responsibility.

    ive been a player for 2-3 years and love kendo.

    her excuses are that she doesnt have the time - ive said we can make special time just for her.

    another is that she isnt that interested ( a little lazy really ) - ive said its a great hobby to share and she needs it for work and its a great release of stress.

    think of an excuse and she has it, even when joining my new kendo club the sensei wanted her to try but she backed off and ran away.

    she has a little interest as she has read my books and ive shown her the basic steps and strikes. but i dont want to go beyond that as im only shodan.

    What can i do to get her practicing and even in bogu one day.

    we have two little kids but they dont like kendo at all, but we can find baby sitters for them to help my wife practice.

    sooooooooooooooooooo????????


  • #2
    Nothing. It's her decision, and nagging at her has zero likelihood of changing her mind. At least, if she's anything like my wife.

    Comment


    • #3
      Leave her be dude.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
        Nothing. It's her decision, and nagging at her has zero likelihood of changing her mind. At least, if she's anything like my wife.
        Bingo.
        +Rep.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by neanderthal View Post
          another is that she isnt that interested ( a little lazy really ) - ive said its a great hobby to share and she needs it for work and its a great release of stress.
          It isn't about what you say, or what you think she needs. If she isn't interested, she isn't interested. That doesn't make her "lazy" -- it makes her uninterested.

          Comment


          • #6
            Don't do it.
            "Worlds will collide."
            Say goodbye to Independent George.

            Comment


            • #7
              I will have an easier time changing lead to gold then making my wife play kendo.

              Comment


              • #8
                im tending to agree.

                ive tried and i know that those who want to do it will.

                i was just hoping that there may have been a few tricks.

                but i shall give up and just enjoy my freedom and practices.

                but its such a waste!!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  My wife isn't interested at all in trying kendo. That's fine with me because we do other things together, so I consider my dojo time to be "my" time.

                  My wife, on the other hand, says that when I'm in the dojo, it's "her" time because she can actually get things done without me hassling her

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Marry another woman practing kendo. Joking but I agree with Neil and everybody else. In the long run your "encouragement" is just making things worse. Just be happy she is letting you practice kendo. You would have better luck finding a way to make kendo fun and interesting for your kids so they might join. Who knows maybe if they like it and join it might indirectly peak her interest to join.

                    Originally posted by neanderthal View Post
                    She is incharge of the kendo team at her school and looks like it will be that way for 6 years. however the school has a volunteer coach which means she can skip any responsibility.

                    ive been a player for 2-3 years and love kendo.

                    her excuses are that she doesnt have the time - ive said we can make special time just for her.

                    another is that she isnt that interested ( a little lazy really ) - ive said its a great hobby to share and she needs it for work and its a great release of stress.

                    think of an excuse and she has it, even when joining my new kendo club the sensei wanted her to try but she backed off and ran away.

                    she has a little interest as she has read my books and ive shown her the basic steps and strikes. but i dont want to go beyond that as im only shodan.

                    What can i do to get her practicing and even in bogu one day.

                    we have two little kids but they dont like kendo at all, but we can find baby sitters for them to help my wife practice.

                    sooooooooooooooooooo????????

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Agreed with the above.

                      A few years ago I talked my wife into doing something she wasn't that into, trying golf (kendo). I think I sold her on it because of the cute golf outfits and shoes [cool hakama and kendogi]. We got her expensive clubs (bogu) and lessons (dojo fee), and she's never done it since and when I bring up how good it would be to do into our later years, that we can do it together, that she'd be much better at it with practice, etc., she just says she doesn't have time or has another excuse, and all this golf stuff (bogu, gi, shinai) we bought is sitting unused.

                      My wife is too busy with two kids and a full time job to do Kendo, or practically anything else for that matter. But even if she wasn't, she's never done anything consistently that she didn't really want to do herself. I can't blame her. I don't either.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Toshiro Mifune View Post
                        Just be happy she is letting you practice kendo.
                        (Winces) Man, ain't that the truth.


                        I remember the old days, when I was young and in my power.....

                        ..The only thing I have power over now is the garbage.

                        LOL



                        Just kidding.
                        I totally wear the pants at my house.
                        I know this because I have a permission slip from my wife to do so.
                        Last edited by Kenzan; 11th June 2008, 03:31 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Nothing, practicing kendo is a personal decision and no one can be forced to practe it or forced to do anything you don't want to do. so let her be, if she wants she will tell you

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It might just not be her thing.

                            However, you could find some interest she really has and then YOU volunteer to do that with her. She will know you are doing it for her and will show her appreciation.


                            On an aside, my wife trained in Kendo for a term. It was hard with 3 little ones (and another on the way now). Her back would ache (she had surgery on her lower back and it is not back to proper strength and the proper posture required really showed her that - and that she was compensating for it with poor posture). On top of this she is very claustrophic and has not been able to put a Men on. She can get mine to maybe within 6 inches of her face and that's that.

                            I do love her for trying and I really appreciate her effort - even if I am sure I could never do enough to show her that.

                            ... too bad she doesn't read this forum ...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yep, yep, and yep.

                              M'lady would always come and watch (and who likes doing that?) me practice like 3 times a week...and she would talk about it. Seeing how i knew she was shy, i said: "you want to do kendo, huh?". But she said no, blah blah blah. Since i knew she wanted to, it was worth bugging her about it till she did. She is now nidan.

                              If she didnt show interest, and i bugged her, i would now be single. .... . . hindsight is 20/20...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X