X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question

Hello, sorry for the stupid question im new here. Anyway i have had an interest in Kendo for a while and I was wondering do women (after a bit of training) ware the keikogi and a hakama? I think i read somewhere that women don't ware a keikogi and a hakama. Thanks for the help!

also i am just wondering how everyone here got into kendo. Its interesting to read all the different stories and see what people have to say.

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by funnyface12 View Post
    do women (after a bit of training) ware the keikogi and a hakama?
    Maybe if you get lucky after training they won't...

Anyway, women wear exactly the same thing as men. Some prefer to use a slightly smaller/lighter shinai, but otherwise traditionally both genders are treated equally.

Comment

There are no silly questions.
      Only answers by me.

I got into kendo because of the Bogu.
      Mainly, my cat became too large to wear on my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzan View Post
        There are no silly questions.
        Only answers by me.

I got into kendo because of the Bogu.
        Mainly, my cat became too large to wear on my head.

haha thanks for the help!

I was reading another thread and someone was saying they called a dojo and they said they dont allow women to train. That just seems wrong to me at least.

Comment

Hello, sorry for the stupid question im new here.
          there are no stupid questions...only kenzan...

i started to kendo because i had heard that kendo is good for mental concentration. and then i slacked off for sometime before i got back into it (and will continue now til my end days) because of a bad breakup: what better way to forget things than to get hit hard on the head. now some of the reasons why i continue is because there are few things in life that you can do right until you croak, because of the discipline, and also because i know no matter how long i do this thing i will always have something more to learn.

Comment

I was reading another thread and someone was saying they called a dojo and they said they dont allow women to train. That just seems wrong to me at least.

there are similar dojos that dont allow men...or sometimes some dojos have a women only session....
            in fact in most compettions i have seen that the womend event is held separatley

so u can wear exactly what the guys wear and u can hit them just as hard
            all the best for ur kendo !!

Comment

I hate you kenzan!
              I had to reach 1000 post for you to give me +rep! you rep greedy!

ok, enogh of the crying hahaha

...anyway, i think it was already answered, girls use the same gear as guys, and if they want,can use a lighter shinai.

why I entered kendo? mostly for the girls, I mean, kendo girls are only about 35% of kendo population, but its always cool to say "Im shodan, is like a black belt, but those are only details...". after a while I ended up liking it.

nah Im lying, I entered kendo becouse it looked fun, and it is . besides that, kendo has given me mant things, and most of those are great (without taking in count headaches and a couple of injuries, but s+it happens) I think the most important of it all is that it gabe me the possibility to know myself and I also have made many good friends becouse of kendo, and thats great!

Comment

As far as I know women wear the exact same thing. I haven't heard it any differently.

And to anwser your other question of how I got started, I found out about kendo through friends talking about it and watching some practices after school when I was young, but I never thought to join, years later I moved to a different state, and then I actually had a highschool teacher who did kendo and since I was already really interested in it I gave it a try.

Comment

i like the earmuffs..is there such real one?heheh

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhhh kendo.... it makes the summers hotter and the winters colder.

for me, it was the tradition and discipline of it that drew me in. that and a life long fascination with swordplay. I've always been fascinated with pre-gun warfare and IMO the Japanese were best at it.

Comment

How did I get interested in Kendo, well it like this: I went walking through the dark woods, it was very dark in the woods,
                      yet there was a bright moon, all of a sudden I became aware of moonlight reflecting off bright metal, and the metal was
                      moving very fast, I ducked, there was a swish, and a heavy limb fell to the ground, another flash and I dived to the side,
                      the sound of splintering wood, another flash, I quickly rolled to the other side, a frightened squirrel squeaked, and became
                      two parts, I new it was time to go, I jumped up and ran, I could hear foot steps behind me, faster than my footsteps,
                      I new I had to reach the cliff, I glanced back, the glistening sword was raised, I jumped, down, down, down I went,
                      deep into the cold water I went, I swam in the darkness, then I came out on the opposite shore, stood up, and looked up
                      to the top of the cliff, a dark figure stood there, moonlight sparkled off his incredibly sharp sword, at that moment I new
                      I must take up something called Kendo! (Now if you believe this story I have a very big bridge I want to sell you!).
                      Buy the way I live on a road called "Sleepy Hollow Loop", honest to goodness that's the truth!

Actually I need help: I wanted to post on kendoworld.com, but can't find anywhere to post. I saw where it said 'Post'
                      but when I click on it nothing happens. I tried to send an email to kendoworld.com, but my computer says they have never heard of this website. Strange! I also tried the other web address, the one with "contact/index....but to no
                      avail. Can anyone help me here? I thank you. shinaimonk
                      Last edited by Shinaimonk; 11th August 2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

At the dojo where I trained, there were classes for both men and women.
                        There were some really tough girls there who could fight any guy from equal to equal.
                        And about wearing, even though hakama and gi are the same for both girls and guys, I'd suggest you wear a tee under the gi, as sometimes the laces get loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinaimonk View Post
                          How did I get interested in Kendo,
                          I played Budokan for Sega Genesis and I kept using Kendo instead of the other martial arts. My mom sold my Sega Genesis at a garage sale, so I decided to go to a real dojo, but I was very disappointed when I found out that there were no visible ki or stamina meters. Somehow I got over it.

Comment

Hello, sorry for the stupid question im new here. Anyway i have had an interest in Kendo for a while and I was wondering do women (after a bit of training) ware the keikogi and a hakama? I think i read somewhere that women don't ware a keikogi and a hakama...
                            I hope they wear something or the guys will overheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinaimonk View Post

Actually I need help: I wanted to post on kendoworld.com, but can't find anywhere to post. I saw where it said 'Post'
                              but when I click on it nothing happens. I tried to send an email to kendoworld.com, but my computer says they have never heard of this website. Strange! I also tried the other web address, the one with "contact/index....but to no
                              avail. Can anyone help me here? I thank you. shinaimonk
                              Try kendo-world.com, not kendoworld.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X