X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those who are between Hakama sizes

the other day I was checking the sizes of kendogi online, and noticed that the hakama have sizes that go up by 2, and I was wondering- since I'm between sizes, (5'4") should I go up or down?

Reading the other threads, it says that having them too short isn't great, but it's not recommended that one goes up a size. However, usually it's the guys asking for hakama help, and being a girl, wouldn't it be better to go up a size since I'll be wearing it at my natural waist and not my hips? That's at least a couple inches higher (If I'm wearing it at my betty button as opposed to below it.)

Kind of a silly question, I know, but it's been bugging me a bit, and you guys are qualified to answer xD

-COUGH-
    Belly button, way to fail spelling xD

Wouldn't let me edit the post :B

Comment

Buy the bigger size and hem it up.

Comment

My advice is to ignore any height to size charts. Instead, borrow a sempai's hakama after practice, have them help you put it on, and measure how much longer or shorter you want or need it. Then take it off and measure the length of the hakama itself. Combine the two measurements and tell the vendor you want a hakama that long.

And if you're a girl, you should probably be wearing your hakama at your natural waist--above your belly button.

Comment

where are you looking at that has hakama sizes going up by 2? I've seen hakama sizes go up by .5 from WinBogu (formerly known as Eguchi Budo)

Comment

Originally posted by JoonShik View Post
            I've seen hakama sizes go up by .5 from WinBogu
            I didn't know that, I'll have to check them out once their site is back up. Thank you for the recc :3

As for the belly button thing, my belly button is rather high, falling at my natural waist, sorry about that. I know it's usually lower. Either way, it will be sitting in the right spot.

Anywho, thank you to everyone for your advice. I'll ask around at my dojo when I'm ready for kendogi to see what suppliers they recommend and go from there :3

Comment

Originally posted by 8bitouija View Post
              ... I'll ask around at my dojo when I'm ready for kendogi to see what suppliers they recommend and go from there :3
              Smart gal! You've settled on the best resource.

Comment

When the recommended length for my height was between 24 and 25, I went for 25 since it also stated that it'll shrink a bit after washing. Turns out it was a bit too long (haven't washed it many times, it might still shrink) but fine for kendo since adjusting the height of the top doesn't affect much. Not good for Iaido, I can't place the sword on the right spot. I'm hoping that it'll shrink a bit more after multiple washes.

Getting the measurement from actually wearing one sounds like the best thing to do, for the length will change depending on your body build as well. "How much will it shrink" still remains the question...

Yuko

Comment

The answer to "how much will it shrink" is "not very much." Or specifically, "not very much if you wash it correctly" (i.e. very gently, by hand, in luke warm water, very little soap, whilst folded, then rinse well also by hand and drip dry in the shade). So expect it to pretty much stay the size it is when you purchase it. If that's too big then hem it like Batman said.

Experiment with the height at which feels comfy to wear it. As Kent says, it's usual for women to wear it slightly higher than men. An exception might be during pregnancy*, when it can be more comfortable to wear it below the bulge.

b

* iaido only. Kendo would be unadvisable I suspect by this stage in pregnancy.

Comment

all the new girls at my club get measured up for hakama by a guy and they all end up with hakamas up around their shins. I went for one size larger than recommended for my height and ended up with the perfect length.

Comment

I didn't know that, I'll have to check them out once their site is back up. Thank you for the recc :3

As for the belly button thing, my belly button is rather high, falling at my natural waist, sorry about that. I know it's usually lower. Either way, it will be sitting in the right spot.

Anywho, thank you to everyone for your advice. I'll ask around at my dojo when I'm ready for kendogi to see what suppliers they recommend and go from there :3
                      wait, their site is up? It's not working for me

Comment

I'm of a somewhat different opinion here regarding shrinking. All my hakama have shrunk quite a bit even if I handwash them, maybe 1-2 inches. When that is said I do wash my hakama pretty often, I don't think I wear it more than ten times before it gets washed. Worn and washed regularily, they shrink into size within some months.

Comment

Hee. I think that's where belly buttons sit for most women. No need to apologize.

If you're just doing kendo, you don't have quite as many fitting concerns as those of us doing iai. Length is about it, and that can be hemmed, so I'd go up if you're unsure. OTOH I went up with my hakama for iai, and ended up with a koshita which is too wide, so that I have to settle the back on off-center in order to draw correctly.

With any luck you'll get to try on some hakama at the dojo before you buy. I didn't have that luxury.

I hope you enjoy kendo.

Comment

Originally posted by swyn View Post
                            When the recommended length for my height was between 24 and 25, I went for 25 since it also stated that it'll shrink a bit after washing. Turns out it was a bit too long (haven't washed it many times, it might still shrink) but fine for kendo since adjusting the height of the top doesn't affect much. Not good for Iaido, I can't place the sword on the right spot. I'm hoping that it'll shrink a bit more after multiple washes.
                            Yuko, baste up the hem if it's too long, until it's shrunk as far as it will go. You don't need to cut anything at first, just take another fold in the hem and tack it in place. I did this twice with mine, until I found the right length and finally cut and hemmed properly. Don't sacrifice the correct waistband height because of the overall length.

-B

Comment

Originally posted by babayaga View Post
                              Yuko, baste up the hem if it's too long, until it's shrunk as far as it will go. You don't need to cut anything at first, just take another fold in the hem and tack it in place. I did this twice with mine, until I found the right length and finally cut and hemmed properly. Don't sacrifice the correct waistband height because of the overall length.

-B
                              Thank you babayaga! I think I'll do temporaly hem without cutting for now and see how much it shrinks before I cut it...

I bought this one from an online store that turned out to be a division of Tozando, it said "this hakama is pre-washed to prevent shrinking, but it'll still shrink somewhat" (in Japanese) which completely confused me. lol.

Yuko

Comment

Working...
                              X