Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what if other club use your pictures for their website without have your permission?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if other club use your pictures for their website without have your permission?

For example, the pictures of one big match , everyone can take pictures during the match, and if other clubs use the picture which content my image for their website and forum use afterward, but without have my permission in advance, should I ask them to take it off? Even without showing my nametag or face?

The picture like this one...
    Last edited by 44_49; 24th November 2008, 09:08 PM.

I hope you got permission for posting your partner's photo.

If you are the person doing men it's not very good so get them to take it down. If you are the person doing do then you look cool so contact them and ask them to tag it with your name.

Comment

If a picture is OF you, you have no claim to copyright. If you took the photo then you do. It would be difficult to take a photo of yourself doing kendo, so it can't be both.

Basically by the copyright laws of most countries the person who took the photo has the rights to it. If you or your dojo colleagues took the photo then it is copyright and you can reasonably ask the other club to either remove it, or add a caption acknowledging it. I'd insist the caption was a link to your own site too.

Generally people wrongly believe that a photo on the internet is in the public domain (ie not copyright). This is not true. However in some countries (eg China) you might have difficulty enforcing it. A polite request usually does the trick.

Comment

What West sensei said... it is considered rude to post a picture on your web site and not ask the photographer for permission or give credit for it. If there is a picture you have taken and it is seen on a web site that you did not get asked about.. well you should email the web site admin/contact and let them know. Typically they won't have a problem with ewither removing it or giving you credit.

Comment

Thank you for your kindly advises... I know what I should do now....

I want to remove the pic I linked in 1st floor but I found I can't edit my own thread.... I just want to use the image to make an example...OH, webmaster help me to remove it thanks................

Comment

Originally posted by 44_49 View Post
            Thank you for your kindly advises... I know what I should do now....

I want to remove the pic I linked in 1st floor but I found I can't edit my own thread.... I just want to use the image to make an example...OH, webmaster help me to remove it thanks................
            Don't worry about it; as long as you can appreciate the irony it's all good. And according to the other posters you haven't done anything wrong anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by nanbanjin View Post
              don't worry about it; as long as you can appreciate the irony it's all good. And according to the other posters you haven't done anything wrong anyway.
              that's very funny!! Thanks!

Comment

i just get the answer from the website person in charge which was"sorry we don't know that is you! we just know there was a person! Nobody recogenize you anyway why don't you let it be like this??" ............. I have no words to say........

Comment

Thats why when I do photographry, I stick a BIG obnoxious (sp?) watermark on it. Right smack dab in the middle, at the same time I quote my favorite chef and yell "BAM!"

Comment

Originally posted by 44_49 View Post
                    For example, the pictures of one big match , everyone can take pictures during the match, and if other clubs use the picture which content my image for their website and forum use afterward, but without have my permission in advance, should I ask them to take it off? Even without showing my nametag or face?
                    If it is a picture taken at a public event, all you can do is to ask politely. ..even if your name tag or face is showing.

Comment

囧 the image of 1st floor is still there...

Sasayaki thanks, that's a good idea~

Thanks,JSchmidt , at least I made my point to them clearly and politely And I like your avatar Jodan is very beautiful~
                      Last edited by 44_49; 25th November 2008, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt View Post
                        If it is a picture taken at a public event, all you can do is to ask politely. ..even if your name tag or face is showing.
                        Don't know about the regulation in other countries, but here in Germany it's like JSchmidt says - you give permission to appear on photos, as soon as you take part in a public event.

There's even two possibilities:
                        - general pictures of the event, where you are a part of a crowd (like a spectator - that can still be identified)
                        - being a person of 'limited public interest' (competitor or speaker etc.) ('limited' is limited to the context of that event, while 'persons of unlimited public interest' would be politicians or celebrities)

You could insist on removal and probably sue them, if you where a spectator and someone took a picture that shows just you, without context, and publish it on some website.
                        (that's just german - maybe EU- law, though)

Comment

personally, if someone uses my photo on their site i am flattered. if they are making a profit, however, that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Zornocology View Post
                            if they are making a profit, however, that's another story.
                            I'd also have a problem if they were hotlinking. Actually, that's a lie. I would just replace the pics with an unsavory one.

Just like everyone has suggested in this thread, err on the side of caution and just ask permission first.

Comment

If your image was captured privately and is being used to promote or advertise something without your consent then you do have grounds to have the photograph removed. However since this was a public event, the photographer (as a general rule) doesnt need to get a release/consent from anyone (although this rule is changing in regards to photographs of children).

You could ask them to remove it but as u mentioned, since no one can readily identify you because of no name tag, its probably a mute point

Comment

Working...
                              X