X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol give tampons a try, you'll start to like them in no time, I promise

A lady sampai of mine sonkyo with her left foot back and left knee bent towards the ground lol now I know why!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulownia View Post
      I have to confess, I've had near-disasters!

If I do very hard practice, I get so sweaty that the glue on the pads become useless and the pad wanders off.

Now, I wear cycling shorts over my normal panties which have a pad stuck on it. Furthermore, unless the flow is very very light, I wear a tampon. And just for good measure, I tend to wear dark blue hakama rather than my usual white.

If I'm very thoroughly prepared, I don't worry about leaking out, then I can concentrate on my practice.

So the actual period, for me, is under control. My problem is what comes before it. Sometimes I'm in a lot of pain, sometimes I feel dizzy, sometimes I get seriously depressed, sometimes I get very very tired. I've not found a good way of combatting this. Any ideas?
      I've had this problem too. Basically, birth control pills are supposed to help, (but I can't take those cause of the blood clot risk) but for me, working out seems to make it better for sure.

Comment

Now, I wear cycling shorts over my normal panties which have a pad stuck on it. Furthermore, unless the flow is very very light, I wear a tampon. And just for good measure, I tend to wear dark blue hakama rather than my usual white.
        Be careful doing that. Too much moisture can lead to yeast infections, and getting sweaty with all those layers to trap in moisture...

So the actual period, for me, is under control. My problem is what comes before it. Sometimes I'm in a lot of pain, sometimes I feel dizzy, sometimes I get seriously depressed, sometimes I get very very tired. I've not found a good way of combatting this. Any ideas?
        I get like this too, especially with the moodiness and such 'cause it just enhances my natural bipolar...

Here's some ideas to help with cramps, pain, exct (quoting from a printout a friend gave me):

1. "press deeply into the lower abdomen four finger-widths below the belly button. Hold this point for five breaths to alleviate cramping and regulate sporadic periods"

2. "Apply gentle pressure with small circular movements to the point on top of the foot where the two small bones meet between the big toe and second toe. This will relieve spasms of the uterus."

3. "Cross your left ankle over your right knee and use your right thumb to find the point on the inside of your lower leg just behind the shinbone and three finger-widths above the inner ankle bone. Press gently - this is often a very tender point." (this one really helps relieve cramps!)

4"Slide your finger out and away from the pronounced bump below your kneecap on the front of your knee until you are on a muscle between two bones of your lower leg. Massage and apply firm pressure to encourage softening of the muscle and stimulate digestion, promote the release of blood, and relieve nausea."

And here's something to help relieve lower back pain and abdominal discomfort (again just quoting from elsewhere rather than trying to sum up in my own words):

"1. Lie on the floor with your hands in loose fists under your buttocks, your knees bent and your feet flat.

2. Use the knuckle of your middle finger to stimulate the area of your buttock just outside the tailbone below the ridge of the hip.

3. Lower your pelvis onto your hands and allow the weight of your body to apply the pressure.

4. Slide your fits under your sacrum (tailbone) and lower your pelvis onto your knuckles."

More tips and tricks:

1. Diet: Avoid intake of sugar. Sugar is actually really bad for your body all around. Lessen your intake of it (if not avoiding it completely) from right before you start to get signs of PMS, this should lessen it and help with mood and cramps and the like.

2. Add salt and caffeine to list 1. Most advice restricting intake of these these a week before your period. If you get bad PMS before then, then go with before PMS hits.

3. Diet: Intake extra vitamin D, magnesium, and calcium. Lack of these leads to cramping.

4. Diet: Drink plenty of water and eat fresh fruits and veggies. Surprisingly, this really does help. (And I hate plain water...)

5. Yogurt and vitamin B help too. Be sure not to get more than 100mg of vitamin B6 per day though.

6. For cramps and sore back, heat helps. It helps blood flow is what my doctor told me. I dunno if that's all it does, but, it helps me a lot and mine pretty much kill me. Either take a hot shower or bath (I prefer baths but for those college students living in dorms, showers work), or get water bottles (or a water pouch) and fill those up with hot water and just press them against stomach (abdomen) and back while lying down.

Hope some of these help ^^

Comment

To be honest, I opt for the tampon...but that is because I am not a fan of having a pad wander off (which has happened on a few occasions).
          If you are going to go with a pad, wearing bike shorts or boxers or something tight (in addition to undies) would help keep everything tight and in place.

Comment

I would say get used to wearing a tampon...

Comment

Nanie, those cups get a little messy, which is a problem in the changerooms. Pad and cycling shorts work the best for me, and if it's a heavy month, a tampon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanie View Post
                Slightly late to this discussion but... have you ever considered menstrual cups? They make both disposable ones and lifetime ones (those out of medical grade silicone). I'd check out the Instead menstrual cups or Diva Cups (or Lunette, MoonCup, Keeper, exct). They don't require changing as often as tampons or pads, are safer for your body than tampons (no risk of TSS), and you can't even tell they're in. Plus they reduce cramps too (which is good for me because I get cramps really bad)
                Just wanted to say that Nanie's suggestion is a pretty good one - while changing rooms issues and that time of the month are a valid concern, menstrual cups (for most women, anyway) can be worn up to 12 hours, so often times it's something you can deal with at home and not worry about for several hours. They do take some practice and patience to get used to, but are quite handy (and help save money on disposable products). Another reliable alternative is (don't freak out, folks) cloth pads - I know it sounds like something from the Dark Ages, but for women who are allergic to the hyper-absorbent chemicals in disposable pads (or tired of the glue failing to keep them in place), they can be worth a try. (You can find a variety of alternative products from gladrags.com) Admittedly, disposables are more convenient, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in for anyone looking for other options

Comment

A bit late into this conversation, sorry, but wanted to add my two cents :-)

personally, I find nothing more draining than trying to keep up in my class when the cramps hit! Normally I just try to ignore them, but there are times you just can't. Whil not a huge fan of taking drugs for every little thing, I have found that when the pain gets really bad (and I mean on the verge of death or insanity bad) that anti-inflammatories work. They help the muscles relax, but don't make you go loopy (I take really strong pain-killers tho, so maybe it's just me).

As for tampons vs pads? tried both, but really, tampon is the best. Never heard of menstrual cups tho (that one was a surprise), but think I'll stick with the good old fashioned tampon... oh and granny panties. Yuck I know, but that time of the month you can't exactly be picky (especially if you get it real bad) and I found it does help keep the embarressing moments to a minimum.

And as for those who wear nothing under their hakama and gi's? Have heard a few stories, but prefer not to think about it - particulalry with regards to my fellow male kendokas. Here's a question tho? Has anyone ever had their bra come undone in keiko? Happened to me a week ago! Last time I forget my sports bra!

Comment

There is an amended sonkyo position for women because, like most patriarchal societies, Japanese culture traditionally frowned on women spreading their legs in any situation but those deemed useful for men.
                    My sensei was very traditional and had the females in our club sonkyo like that. I liked doing it that way, not that I am particularly lady like though. At competitions and for testing, though, other senseis that weren't used to it didn't like it. So I normally did the regular way at shiai.

Comment

Working...
                    X