Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversized hakama

Ok...maybe this is a dumb question...
    Heres my problem. I bought a nice new 100% cotton hakama and I have a few problems with it.
    First its oversized. I dont know what measurements the guy from the online store read but I definitely dont need a 28 sized hakama (more like a 26). And here is my question. This thing looks like a ball dress on me. Even if I would cut it the right size it would still look funny.
    Is this normal?
    I did wash it so it would shrink and it didnt, not even an inch, yayks.
    Should I cut it or find somebody who could wear it like this (a guy definitely because its too huge -long and large)

I had the same problem with one. Even if you get the legs hemmed up the wazoo, the side slits will still be way too long, particularly if you go commando. And everyone goes commando. Did you wash in hot water?

Comment

I dont go commando ever

No, I didnt washed it with hot water, I was afraid my bath-tub might stay blue forever and ever if I did.

Comment

There's that too. But only hot water will shrink it. Personally, I think you'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new hakama; it's what I did. You might be able to get it altered top and bottom, but I doubt that'd either leave you with a desirable result or save you any cash if it did.

Comment

Next time you buy a hakama hold it against you with the koshita in the small of your back and check it's above your heels. Do this before you cut the tacking thread. Most places will be happy to exchange them provided that thread is intact, but once it's cut it's too late.

Comment

Hot water will do the trick.

As mentioned by our correspondent from S. Korea you should wash it in hot water. If you have settled the dye then throw it in the wash machine hot program. It will shrink about 2 sizes. My first hakama was also too large but after a wash it was the right size. Take care for the pleats direct after the washing. Pin the folds together with the things one uses to hang clothes to dry. When it's dry then you're all set to go.
            Remember to settle the dye first otherwise all the clothes in the laundry will be turning blue for a while.
            But as you said before you're a Goth. Don't you have a black hakama?

Comment

Originally posted by Fonsz View Post
              But as you said before you're a Goth. Don't you have a black hakama?
              No, I had the impresion that black hakama is only for iaido. Besides, my sensei said blue hakama I got blue hakama (i like blue also by the way). Thanks for the tip, I'll try and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fonsz View Post
                Remember to settle the dye first otherwise all the clothes in the laundry will be turning blue for a while.
                Sorry for the dubble post but how did you settle de dye ? I know there were a couple of posts before but as usual the search option works... oh well

Comment

Originally posted by GothMelancolia View Post
                  First it’s oversized. I don’t know what measurements the guy from the online store read but I definitely don’t need a 28 sized hakama (more like a 26). And here is my question. This thing looks like a ball dress on me. Even if I would cut it the right size it would still look funny.

Is this normal?
                  Hakama do look 'funny'. Just because the experienced guys wear them with dignity so they don't look totally ridiculous and some (weird) people even consider them 'cool', they're still plenty 'funny'.
                  (until you get so used to seeing your dojo-mates and yourself in those things that pants start to look funny in your eyes )

But better a ball dress than a garbage bag, I'd say.

Personally I think girls with a feminine figure (like my significant other - who's also constantly complaining her black iai hakama makes her look 'big') look better in a larger hakama that is hemmed to fit in lenght.

Unless it's a special 'girl cut' design (which accounts for the hip-waist different) a wider cut keeps the pleats nicer than a too tight cut where the pleats draw all over the place.

The legs're just flowing around anyway (hiding the motion of your feet, as they should), so they don't need to be carrot-jeans tight.

Originally posted by GothMelancolia View Post
                  how did you settle de dye ?
                  (a bucket full of) Hot water, with salt (bout 200g) and vinegar (1 bottle) mix (some like only salt or only vinegar - I use both for best result - I think the salt does the actual 'settling', while the vinegar softens the thread).
                  Last edited by ReKru; 5th August 2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                    I had the same problem with one. Even if you get the legs hemmed up the wazoo, the side slits will still be way too long, particularly if you go commando. And everyone goes commando. Did you wash in hot water?
                    There was a poll about this a while ago and at least a couple threads, the gist of which seemed to be that some do and some do not.

Personally I would never go commando and I have the distinct happiness of never having noticed anyone else going commando either.

Back on topic: I doubt washing in hot water is going to save her two sizes off on her hakama. If I were the OP I would chalk it up to the "cost of doing business," try to sell it to someone else, and buy a new one in the proper size.

Comment

Sorry, "go commando" means...like when you go flying when pushed or fall over sideways or backwards?

Comment

Go commando means nothing comes between you and your hakama.

Comment

Originally posted by jjcruiser View Post
                          Personally I would never go commando
                          Agree,

Well I'll try the hot water formula and if it doesn't work I'm sure there are lots of guys who would fit in this monster-hakama. For now I'm sticking to my old tetron (I think it's the right word) hakama till I'll decide what to do next.

Comment

To b8amack - meaning wearing nada between one's hakama and skin and/or the hakama goes in all directions so leaving little to the imagination? Man this is
                            hardah than the shodan paper-test vocab!

Comment

The former.

Comment

Working...
                              X