X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing Make-up In Kendo

I was just wondering if anyone knew any foundation that would last the entire session of kendo.
    I also do Aikido, and i dont want my foundation rubbing off on someone's gi T^T
    I'm 17 and have pretty oily skin, so could someone answer my question?

PS
    Please only reply with an answer if you know from experience, not from what the advertisements say
    Thank you very much!!! ^-^

I don't have an answer for you (don't want you rubbing boy/man products on your face, you could end up growing a moustache ) , I do however have a question;
    Why wear make up at all when doing kendo (and spending a great amount of time in your men).

Comment

from my experience in kendo... maybe will be better if you can avoid to use any kind of cosmetic or something like that because:
      - sweat and make-up sometimes it's not a good mix
      - nobody uses make-up at kendo... at least in all the dojos i've visited in my kendo life.
      - you should visit a dermatologist and see if he/she can give you pills or something like that.

Comment

Don't worry about the makeup or how you look. I doubt anyone will notice oily skin in kendo behind a men, much less when everyone's covered in sweat and concentrating on their own kendo. Anything you put on your face will probably dissolve in sweat and get in your eyes, which is no fun at all. Just make sure to wash your face well with a cleanser whenever you get home.

Some days I style my hair with wax, but I always wash it out before I go to kendo because there's no point in having hair thick with the stuff under men, the wax would horrendous if it mixed with sweat and got into my eyes, and my dojo's pretty traditional, so I'd feel like a cad walking in with styled hair for whatever reason.

Comment

Well I like makeup, and im a begginer so im not really wearing men or anything.
          And btw my normal stuff held just fine in aikido, so maybe i dont need to worry XDD

Comment

Sorry if i'm kinda mean sounding, im just tired. x.x
            And I kinda have a complex about my skin, so i like to wear at least a bit of makeup. and i did notice the other ladies were not wearing makeup either, but hey. I like at least a little.
            lol

Comment

Well, then it's something to keep in mind when you do start wearing bogu. Ultimately, it IS your decision, all we can do is give our opinions. From personal experience, I tend to get a lot sweatier doing kendo than I ever did doing aikido -- and at least in aikido, I could rub my eyes or scratch my face.

Comment

Hi and welcome to Kendo; cool that you're doing both that and Aikido! Anyhow, what other females are doing: in my nearby Kendo dojo, neither I nor the other female wear makeup nor do any females in the Tokyo dojo. But right after practice, they really apply it and emerge from the ladies' changing room like Cinderella - that's an option, I think, sort of like Before and After so the fellows will see just how
                lovely they (you) can be...comparisons can make us look better! But if not wearing a "men" yet and you feel you'd like to look nice all the way, you could try waterproof makeup. Here it's advertised as being for swimmers and surfers: I've used it to cover blotches sometimes,
                rubbing a damp sponge across the dry makeup in the compact (sometimes the compact has a bottom, separate area for the sponge where it can dry out); sometimes the sponge needs be bought separately from the compact with the make-up in it.
                It will resist perspiration but if you really sweat (probably not til in full bogu anyway), and you wipe your face especially with something white, some may rub off.

Comment

I wear makeup of some form even when mountain biking. (In face I have subtle permanenet eyeliner on both upper and lower lids. Yes, I know; so vain.) And backpacking. Mother always said "just because you're in the middle of nowhere that's no reason to let yourself go". lol

Seriously, here's a thought: maybe you could opt for a stay-on (swimproof) eyeliner, a bit heavier than normal - it will give the illusion of mascara and show up your eyes.

I have yet to find a base face makeup that stays on really well while sweating. \

Comment

Foundation is a lost cause. However, lipstick can help if your get dehydrated and find your self licking your lips too much. I would choose a muted color. There is no point in making your face and breathing easy for someone to read. Someone told me that some samurai would wear makeup to hide fatigue.... Was this true?

Comment

Now perfume.. I remember practicing in a dojo where one woman didn't like the smell of kendo so she liberally sprinkled her gi with perfume.

Comment

I'm slightly confused as to why you'd want to wear makeup during kendo.
                        If it's to look nice, then I'd have to say that I honestly don't think anyone would be watching you and thinking "wow, she doesn't look polished for practice".
                        If it's because you honestly have bad skin or something (?), then get some acne wipes and keep them in your kendo bag. But makeup? I have visions of sweaty raccoon eyes, and it's not looking so good. I wear a bit of makeup daily and I always take it off before practice.

Comment

Oily skin? wash your face with cold water instead of hot. or wash your face with warm water and then rinse with cold water afterwards.

Comment

There's one woman at my dojang who wears makeup. Although I think that's more to do with coming straight to practice from work, and often a little late. Never seems to run or anything...

Comment

Make-up in Kendo... this is really my own opinion and I don't mean to be harsh, but if you are concerned with trivialities such as makeup then your ego is still hindering your progression in Kendo. :3 At least that's how I see it.

Outside of Kendo I wear makeup, no problem, but inside the Dojo I try not to bring any worldly things such as make-up or cell phones or MP3 players. A Dojo isn't High School or the Mall :P

Comment

Working...
                              X