Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahahahaha i always keep my makeup rather natural looking anyhow.
    It's been working for me in my martial arts anyway lol right after practice I rinse my face with some cold water to get the sweat off >.<

Comment

Ever since I’ve started practicing with bogu I sweat allot so every time I forget to remove the make-up (I wear a little make-up at work) I can feel every little piece of that “natural make-up” in my eyes and it stings allot...not to mention I stained my beautiful clean tenugui with it …so….I wash my face every time before practice and remove every little bit of make-up.
      Lipstick may be ok (but a neutral color) because it won’t come off and it keeps your lips moist even if you dehydrate. But nothing else that can go with the sweat and in your eyes.
      Now …..no one sais you can’t have your make-up kit with you and apply something AFTER the practice

Comment

Originally posted by Lee-chan-92 View Post
        Hahahahaha i always keep my makeup rather natural looking anyhow.
        It's been working for me in my martial arts anyway lol right after practice I rinse my face with some cold water to get the sweat off >.<
        Yeah, but...well correct me if I'm wrong (anyone else who does Aikido, that is) but from the little tiny bit of Aikido I tried, I gather that you really don't sweat much in that martial arts.

When you're not in bogu, you don't sweat much either. Plus your not getting as physically exhausted. But when you get into bogu and start wearing men, not only is it extremely hot, but you get worn out fast. You will sweat rivers.

I think you need to get over your fear of being seen as not beautiful. Usually that's a psychological fear, at least in my experience.

It's ok to have periods of your life where you don't have on make up! I also just don't think it's very practical in bogu.

Comment

Originally posted by MartialArtsGirl View Post
          When you're not in bogu, you don't sweat much either. Plus your not getting as physically exhausted.
          Depends on exercises you perform. Also on a person. So you may sweat lots and lots without bogu.

Comment

I think you need to get over your fear of being seen as not beautiful. Usually that's a psychological fear, at least in my experience.
            Yes, and that's kind of it, though, isn't it? This fear of how others see us, based on superfical things. Kendo helps you grow stronger mentally. When you do kendo, you should let go of all superficial things that make you an individual (at least my idea of Kendo, I know this differs for a lot between people). You should not stand out by anything other than your actual kendo, especially when you're still a beginner. If you hold onto things like makeup or the way your hair looks inside the dojo it'll limit your own development when it comes to budo. (feel free to discuss )

Comment

Originally posted by Raindrop View Post
              If you hold onto things like makeup or the way your hair looks inside the dojo it'll limit your own development when it comes to budo. (feel free to discuss )
              Samurai did use makeup on the Battlefield.
              For Kendo, the red paint inside of the mengane should be sufficient to give you a lively complexion (until you throw up, wich should be done with the utmost grace).

Comment

The same can be said about new bogu.why buy a new shinny super expensive bogu when youre a n00b when you kendo looks bad and you wont feel comfortable in it. (since the expensive bogu will be stiff and breaking it will be really painful)
                Its the same thing in my opinion
                The only reason I wear lipstick sometimes is to protect my lips since the skin does dehydrate (is it the right word ?) really fast and I have the nasty habit of biting them (which will result in my lips bleeding not nice habit I know)so its not a question of how I look but rather how I fell.
                I would wear any kind of equipment no matter how new or old is it if I feel ok during practice and I can go 100% then its fine.
                For me what is important is the way I feel during practice.it doesnt matter how I look its not a question of budo.I dont understand the concept that well.
                My n00bish opinion is that if you feel ok wearing make-up and having a super complicated haircut, with green long nails then fine (except for the nails because they can hurt your partner or you can hurt yourself )the important thing is to learn and concentrate on your kendothe rest its just distraction.

Originally posted by ReKru View Post
                (until you throw up, wich should be done with the utmost grace).
                LOL yeswell I dont know how to throw up with gracemy sempai didnt thought me that yet.guess is a really special, complicated and advanced waza

Comment

As ReKru said Samurai wore makeup, so as long as it is not affecting your own or someone else's practice negatively then what's the problem?

Sadly I think foundation is going to wear off no matter what. My tip for low maintenance sweat proof makeup is to get your eyelashes dyed. It lasts a couple of months and will never run.

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Jones View Post
                    As ReKru said Samurai wore makeup, so as long as it is not affecting your own or someone else's practice negatively then what's the problem?

Sadly I think foundation is going to wear off no matter what. My tip for low maintenance sweat proof makeup is to get your eyelashes dyed. It lasts a couple of months and will never run.

Harry
                    There isn't a "problem", just a matter of opinion. :P

And samurai didn't wear makeup so they'd look pretty (or did they... wait xD ).

The way I associate make-up in the context of this topic was more along the lines of using makeup as means to fight self-consciousnes on a superficial level. To me, Kendo is about letting go of such things. Who the heck cares if your skin is blodgy if you kick ass in jigeiko and have a rocket sashi men? To have a fully open mind in the dojo and to get the most out of the budo aspect, I try to let go of trivial distractions such as makeup or mental distraction such as "does my ass look fat in this hakama". A blank mind, a blank face, a blank everything. Just me and Kendo. At least that's my goal.

It's the same with beginner's who have trouble practicing with kiai. They're not letting go because they feel selfconscious. So to some it's strange to yell out hard infront of a group of "strangers" and others struggle with showing their unpainted face.

I'm sure there are also girls who just keep on the makeup they wore all day and just don't bother, and I'm not talking about those. Just about those who say they "couldn't" be caught dead anywhere without makeup, even in the dojo.

Comment

Originally posted by GothMelancolia View Post
                      LOL yes…well I don’t know how to throw up with grace…my sempai didn’t thought me that yet….guess is a really special, complicated and advanced waza
                      I have not yet had the privilege of throwing up yet. Am I missing out on something?

Comment

I have not yet had the privilege of throwing up yet. Am I missing out on something?
                        That means you're not training hard enough!!
                        So far I've always been fast enough with taking off men and running into the bathroom so I cannot tell you about any graceful mengane-hurls but it seems to be the "ultimate experience". Also for your audience!

Comment

Yuk
                          Not to mention the smell youll have to deal with every time putting the men (at least for a while) sishhhh we have space shuttles, we have teleportation (photons whatever)why cant they invent the bogu that can be washed inside a washing machine with LOTS of detergent

Comment

I do both kendo and aikido and neither of the women seem to be using any make up. I did notice them wearing make up after practise.

I think I would get rather upset if i would have some make up rubbing off on my pristine white gi.

Comment

I've tried it by accident (didn't have time to take it all off) and it's a bad idea. Unless you have un-sensitive eyes (I have sensitive eyes), sweat and makeup in your eye does not feel good. Also it rubbed off on the inside of my men, and then you forget you have it on and wipe your face on your gi.. Fuhgetaboutit!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee-chan-92 View Post
                                I was just wondering if anyone knew any foundation that would last the entire session of kendo.
                                I also do Aikido, and i dont want my foundation rubbing off on someone's gi T^T
                                I'm 17 and have pretty oily skin, so could someone answer my question?

PS
                                Please only reply with an answer if you know from experience, not from what the advertisements say
                                Thank you very much!!! ^-^
                                17 and you wear so much makeup
                                I would advise not wearing anything.
                                Everyone sweats and moreso in kendo
                                Any make up will rub off and get on your kit (and other peoples if its aiki)
                                I hated getting orange staines of women in judo

You will look better and have less bad skin if you dont wear it during training trust me

Also, if you go to shinza and such like heavy make up can be frowned upon

Comment

Working...
                                X