Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White turning blue

Hello
    I have a white gi and hakama set, but after the first practice they have blue spots on them from my bogu. And I'm wondering: when I'm going to wash them, should I do it with some bleacher, in order to remove those stains, or they are inevitable and adorn every kendo girl

Hey, nice to see someone from Lithuania! My great-great-grandfather emigrated from Vilnius.

Anyways to answer your question - yes, if you use blue bogu with white dogi they will get dirty. You can use bleach but it will reduce the life of the fabric so maybe don't use it every wash. If you get some white doh-himo it will help.

Comment

Oo, it's interesting
      Thanks for your response. Then one more question - if gi and hakama are clean and white (not stinky and yellowish ), will those stains look "negatively" dirty? Or just "natural" dirty? Yes, yes, silly girlish question, but I recieved this white set as a gift, so i want to use it, but i don't want to look "unclean" and "untidy".

Comment

By the way it helps as well to get white himo.. while you're at it you can get white bogu.. but that'll stain if you use blue kendogi.

Comment

If you look around well, you will likely see all kinds of people with blue-marked white gi's. When my brandnew white top got blued by a new men, I felt a bit sad - but glancing at others wearing white, their blue marks seemed to have faded little by little, after washing-machine assistance.

Comment

Hi everybody!...So i have also a quick question... I just got my very own white bogu with white uniform and all. From what i've read so far, its better to use the white uniform with the bogu than the indigo uniform. I was actually planning on using the white uniform only for competitions, but i guess i could as well bleach out my indigo out and use it for daily practice..hihi.
            I am more concerned how to keep my white bogu clean enough. Do you have any advice? All infos will be highly appreciated! Thank u

Comment

Someone put a thread together on that very issue. Do a forum search to find it.

Comment

Use white himo.

Originally posted by VejuMote View Post
                Hello
                I have a white gi and hakama set, but after the first practice they have blue spots on them from my bogu. And I'm wondering: when I'm going to wash them, should I do it with some bleacher, in order to remove those stains, or they are inevitable and adorn every kendo girl

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                  Hey, nice to see someone from Lithuania! My great-great-grandfather emigrated from Vilnius.

Anyways to answer your question - yes, if you use blue bogu with white dogi they will get dirty. You can use bleach but it will reduce the life of the fabric so maybe don't use it every wash. If you get some white doh-himo it will help.
                  Ohhh me too! My great great grandparents (both of them) were Lithuanian. O_O

Comment

Cha! Nice

Comment

This might be of interest if you haven't found it already.
                      http://kenshi247.net/blog/2010/02/18...-of-yushinkan/

Comment

Try something like Oxy a very gentle washing machine stain remover. I found this works well even if it does sometimes require a couple of washes and it doesn't damage your clothes.

It does beg the question, why don't the Japanese fix any of their dyes? Its so annoying when the dye comes out of tenugui, obi, keikogi, himo etc. If they just fixed them items would stay looking better for longer and we wouldn't have all these problems!

Comment

Non-dan grades at my dojo have to wear white gi and keeping the wretched thing clean drives me up the wall. For getting rid of horrible yellow sweat stains (women sweat too, right?), I found rubbing colourless distilled vinegar into the stained areas before machine washing worked wonders.

As for the blue bogu stains, I use stain remover, water and a lot of elbow grease.

Comment

Originally posted by SanguineKendoka View Post
                            For getting rid of horrible yellow sweat stains (women sweat too, right?), I found rubbing colourless distilled vinegar into the stained areas before machine washing worked wonders.
                            No they don't, they 'perspire' or 'glow'.

White vinegar is great from lots of jobs as evidenced by the '1001 Uses of Vinegar' book I got one Christmas!

Comment

Working...
                            X