Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What's the reasoning for segregating women's and men's indivudals/teams at NYC Shiai? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the reasoning for segregating women's and men's indivudals/teams at NYC Shiai?

I just got a letter (as did my other dojo mates) that the NYC Brooklyn Shiai will be segregated by male and females. There will be all men's teams and all females teams (three women per team). Also women cannot play in the mens individuals (and mens not in the females.)

I am just wondering what the reasoning was behind this, if anyone knows?

Thanks

While I understand that kendo is 90% technique, I'd say two reasons. Firstly, kendo being a traditional japanese art, there'd more than likely be some inherent gender bias in the governing authority. Secondly, in most competitive sports you have weight divisions and gender splits because at the end of the day, all things being equal the bigger stronger person wins. This would be minimised in Kendo given that strength doesn't directly affect the outcome of a match, but a person who is bigger than their opponent will more than likely have a significant reach advantage and a person who is stronger than the other would strike faster and with more endurance than the other.

Though this does bring up a good question- If women are separated because of physical reasons, why aren't men separated into weight divisions?

Comment

Probably an attempt to increase female participation.

Comment

Or a recognition that there are enough women kendo players in that area to support a women's division. Or a desire for more kendo, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by MartialArtsGirl View Post
          the XYZ Shiai will be segregated by male and females.[...] Also women cannot play in the mens individuals (and mens not in the females.)
          The gender matter was being explained to you by many people in threads started by YOU in the past. Forgot again? Anyway the reasoning does not change.

Comment

Congratulations! This is show time for you - only women in your class? That'll be an easy walkaway.

yes - that was irony... ;-)
            Last edited by Kaa; 7th March 2010, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Because they are running the shiai so they get to make the rules ;-)

I just got a letter (as did my other dojo mates) that the NYC Brooklyn Shiai will be segregated by male and females. There will be all men's teams and all females teams (three women per team). Also women cannot play in the mens individuals (and mens not in the females.)

I am just wondering what the reasoning was behind this, if anyone knows?

Thanks

Comment

Well, I have been thinking about it a lot. Maybe it's ok as long as it wasn't done out of mysigony or prejudice. (Some people think it might be...) I don't know, maybe it will work out and I should just give it a chance. I'm not too thrilled about it though, but how can I say anything until I give it a chance? It makes me sad, though, to know that I won't be able to play with guys, or be on guys teams.

Comment

Warning: the text below is for MAG-eyes only. It is what she really wish to find here.

I will be blunt.

The reasoning for segregating women's and men's tournaments at NYC shiai: women are simply the lesser beings.

To make a good kendoist you need both body and mind to be of good quality. However women's are weak and prone to failure.
                  It follows that women's kendo level is so much lower and they stand no chance against males at any competition.
                  That is why in almost all sports women folks is separated (for their own good and to save on tissues).
                  We all wish to see nice and proper kendo but any woman taking a part in men's competiton would lower the level.

One would wonder why allow them compete at all if they can not make it any good?
                  The only reason is men are generous beings and like to please their pets (like giving a bone to a dog).
                  Besides even as outcome of women's tournaments is insignificant, it's so much quiet when they do not complain.

Comment

Come on , we are all tired of your feminist threads..

And the worst part is that no one knows who you are..

+ neg rep xD

Comment

In most cases men and woman are equal, but let's be honest in sports they nearly never are.
                      I should rephrase that
                      Although they put the same amount of effort the results between men and woman cannot be compared.
                      When you look at speedskating 1500 meters for example
                      Man: 1.41.04
                      Woman: 1.54.02
                      So you want them to compete on equal grounds? Male and Females in the same league on a professional level? Probably no woman would ever win! (Well curling perhaps )

Instead of whining about the whole female male stuff you should be happy that enough woman are around in Kendo so you can have your own league.
                      Seriously why do you always have to make a fuss about male vs female? Get over it!!!

Comment

Maybe it's ok as long as it wasn't done out of mysigony or prejudice. (Some people think it might be...)
                        How many of these people share your first and last name?

Comment

here we go again...
                          I think you are the nail that stands out.

Comment

That is so unfair. Call congress, call general attorney, and call anyone you can. Women should be able to compete with men. If they can never win anything, so be it.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4

Comment

Working...
                              X