X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do choking me in Za-rei

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to Kendo (8 weeks into my beginners course). Since I've been wearing a Do (2 weeks) I've been having a problem doing za-rei properly. My Do rides up and chokes me, stopping me from bowing forward all the way.

I've asked 2 sempai about it (both male) but I haven't found an explanation/solution yet. I have a feeling my hips are the problem. Senior females are hard to find at our dojo so if anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it.

Your do is too tall for your physique...or you are wearing it too high.. without seeing it on you it would be hard to decide which ..though my money is on the do not being fitted correctly to you.

Comment

I don't know if this will work for you but during one of our seminars with Kato-sensei where he covered some reiho. He went over something to help people with a bigger stomach/do that had difficulty doing zarei. He mentioned opening your legs wider when you go into zarei to make room for your do/stomach. Then when you come back to normal seiza closing your legs. With practice you will be able to do it smoothly and it will look more natural.

Comment

Thanks for your help. You've given me a couple of things to try next week!

Comment

I think you should upload some pics to see the problem... MAG didnt do it when we asked her to solve her problem and you can see what happened...

Comment

Possibly your tare is too stiff, and pushes your do up when you bend from the waist? Try making the top of the flaps on the tare a little looser by flexing them.

Comment

So I tried your suggestions last night at training. They all helped a little but I'm afraid the problem really is my hip bones. My do sits above them when I'm standing but isn't wide enough to slide down over them. One of the guys told me that if I keep on with kendo after the beginners course finishes I can find another do that fits better...at the moment they're all being used.

Comment

Hi !

I've got the same problem, but being a beginner I thought it was normal.

The trick is to press firmly with your elbows against your do, at the hight of your hips, juste before bending and while you are bending. This way your do doesn't move !

Comment

Thanks aboli! I'll try it at training tonight.

Comment

Working...
                  X