Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question.

Hello. I am new here.
    I really want to learn Kendo but I have completely no idea about the first thing needed. Like the outfit, the practices, and the like...
    If I join, will someone be teaching me straight from the basics and everything else that's needed? Or do I have to have knowledge to be able to join?

Just show up. Blank slate's a perfectly acceptable place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
      Just show up. Blank slate's a perfectly acceptable place to start.
      If I show up, do I have to be in complete gear at once???
      Thanks for responding btw... ^^

Comment

No, you don't have to be. In fact, it will be quite a while before you get to wear all the gear.

Comment

Originally posted by s!Lence View Post
          While all dojo are different, to give you a basic idea people at my dojo generally train in street clothes for about a month until they order the uniform and start moving into bogu after 2 months or so depending on how quick they're picking it up and how much they want to.

Comment

Bes thing is to stop by the dojo and ask what their expectations are. While the answers you've been getting are generally correct, there's no substitute for finding out directly from the people who will be teaching you. Drop by tell them you want to learn kendo and ask
            - What do I need to get started.
            - When can I start.
            - What will be expected from me as I practice.

Comment

I started learning Kendo earlier this year, and all the beginners were told to wear loose comfortable clothing. Most of us wore tracksuit pants and a t-shirt. The main thing is that your pants aren't too long (eg yoga pants that are over the ankle). Otherwise you trip over them. You'll also want to wear a shirt that allows you to lift your arms above your head freely (you'll do that lots). I have now been learning for 5 months and have only recently bought the proper utfit'. Your dojo will tell you what they expect.

Comment

Originally posted by s!Lence View Post
                Best thing is to wear loose but not baggy clothing. Like jogging pants and a tshirt.
                You will be in bare feet.

It depends on the club as to how they teach and how many beginners there are, but nobody expects you to be able to do anything on the first night

What clubs are in your area?
                I advise going to watch one of their sessions and asking the instructors anything you need to know
                ;p

Comment

Working...
                X