X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bekkasei Women?

So I have looked and looked but have failed at finding many accounts about the Bekkasei program from women who have attended. Only the men seem to really go into much detail. Are there any women bekkasei here who would be willing to share their experiences? Or does anyone know where such stories have been posted?

Men, women, no big differences... Classes are exactly the same (only the bukatsu is sometimes split, girls in one dojo and boys in the other, otherwise, all activities are mixed).
    Girls have their own rooms, share the laundry room and the kitchen ; and that's it.
    Average ratio is 90% men and 10% women

Comment

You're no fun. ;p

Comment

If you want i can give you the email of some of the bekkasei girls i know.

Comment

Well, I'm sure it's all about the late night pillow fights and lounging around in skimpy lingerie doing each other's nails. That you know and "experimenting". At least that's how I imagine it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloromannic View Post
            If you want i can give you the email of some of the bekkasei girls i know.
            That would be rad and much appreciated.

Originally posted by turboyoshi View Post
            Well, I'm sure it's all about the late night pillow fights and lounging around in skimpy lingerie doing each other's nails. That you know and "experimenting". At least that's how I imagine it.
            As would that. *smirk*

Ha.

Mostly, we see anecdotes from men and so forth all the time. "This is what we do, this is our experience of the people there, this is what you can expect socially, and so on." Obviously, classes and Kendo practice are going to be the same. So I guess, what I was aiming for with this, is... What is dorm life like for women, especially considering the dramatic difference in the man:woman ratios. I also noticed on the webpage for the Kendo group there, they write:

On Wednesdays there is no training for female students, who instead can choose to study Sado (Tea Ceremony), Kado (Flower Arrangement), or Syodo (Calligraphy).
            Does that go for bekkasei women as well or is that simply a policy for Japanese students. Were I to attend should I expect to study something like that as well? (Honestly, I would rather run out and find an empty space somewhere and just do suburi but I guess calligraphy could be good...) Questions like that. I am very curious about it all.

Comment

Girls bekkasei

Originally posted by UnimportantHero View Post
              That would be rad and much appreciated.

As would that. *smirk*

Ha.

Mostly, we see anecdotes from men and so forth all the time. "This is what we do, this is our experience of the people there, this is what you can expect socially, and so on." Obviously, classes and Kendo practice are going to be the same. So I guess, what I was aiming for with this, is... What is dorm life like for women, especially considering the dramatic difference in the man:woman ratios. I also noticed on the webpage for the Kendo group there, they write:

Does that go for bekkasei women as well or is that simply a policy for Japanese students. Were I to attend should I expect to study something like that as well? (Honestly, I would rather run out and find an empty space somewhere and just do suburi but I guess calligraphy could be good...) Questions like that. I am very curious about it all.
              Girls' teacher is Iwakiri sensei. He is a good teacher but 'a little' tough . Usually a month before shiai girls start practicing at other dojo. This means almost the whole year, because there are tournaments almost every month. Almost all the girls go to asakeiko (morning practice). Last summer some girls fainted, some were crying after the evening practice, once I saw an ambulance at the door of other dojo. Their practice involves lots of uchikomi, kakari keiko, oikomi and of course jikeiko. Budai girls team got the 3rd place at kanto region last year and 1st place this year(2011-2012).

I'm not trying to scare you, I just want to tell you that they practice like crazy. Of course you don't have to be like them, you won't have to go to all practices. They won't force bekkasei for everything but it would be better if you try your best.

It is for all the girls. This was on Thursday this year. I think it would be better if you choose one.

One of the bekka girls from Netherlands decided to stay at budai. She will be here for next 4 years. There is also a Chilean 2nd year student(after april 3rd year student). A boy from France decided to stay here as well. There will be someone at dojo to tell you what to do and don't.

TBH it is tough at Budai but a very nice experience. Don't be scared I'm sure you will enjoy your time here.
              Last edited by Aeglos; 11th February 2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Were I to attend should I expect to study something like that as well? (Honestly, I would rather run out and find an empty space somewhere and just do suburi but I guess calligraphy could be good...)
                Emily, I think you would find that a break for something in a different art would yield dividends in your understanding of the culture underpinning kendo, and open your eyes to new details.

Originally posted by turboyoshi View Post
                Turboyoshi, comments like this are why we have a Women's Forum. Cut the crap. You do neither yourself nor your dojo any credit.

-Beth

Comment

Originally posted by snooz2k2 View Post
                  Average ratio is 90% men and 10% women
                  This was about the same gender ratio at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne when I was on exchange there (long time but I don't suppose this aspect has changed since). Actually the architecture department I was in was 50/50 and from the looks of it we had 99.9% of the female students (physics literally had 2 women that year, one was also an exchange student).

Comment

I apologize to any women I may have offended with my childish attempt at humor.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeglos View Post
                      I'm not trying to scare you, I just want to tell you that they practice like crazy.
                      No, no! This sounds glorious. I mean it sounds like it could kill me (just running through the sankyu test without really stopping for two hours tends to have me ready to collapse) but it also sounds like pretty much what I want from life in general. Big, big fan of being challenged hard.

Thank you for all the helpful information, Aeglos and Babayaga.

Comment

BTW I think it would be too early for someone below 2-3 dan to come here. You will have a hard time to understanding some things. It is very hard to practice with teachers, you might get lost in the dojo. Of course it depends on your motivation .

Comment

Yeah I would agree with that.

(Hi Ahmed!)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeglos View Post
                            BTW I think it would be too early for someone below 2-3 dan to come here.
                            I have heard a few people say similar things to that, usually saying 1st dan. But yeah I am just keeping things in mind for the future. I honestly do not think that I have anywhere near the physical conditioning yet to really keep up at the moment. We have been doing two hour sessions running through the test for 3rd kyu over and over again with only three or four breaks (one or two minutes while we wait to cycle back in, and the class is suuuuuuuper small) and even that makes me feel close to death.

Heh.

But someday, someday.

Comment

Hello guys,
                              I'm totally beginner in everything (not only on this forum but in Kendo on generally) so I am apologise if I will give you question about themes which have you already discussed before. I'm very interested about IBU or any other martial arts university on Japan, especially if there's something connected with Kenjitsu. I know that this is Kendo forum but if ANYBODY knows ANYTHING (or knows any contact) please, poste it here. And another thing - who can I send e - mail for IBU info? People said that their inernational office sucks, but is there any other choice?

Regards, Roza

Comment

Working...
                              X