For those with long hair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those with long hair

No laughing please. But is there an ideal ponytail length where the men himo don't get knotted into the hair? I have very fine and wispy hair, that comes to my waist when tied and I often get my men himo knotted in my hair a couple of inches below the bobble. It happens most in the sort of session where it is men on, men off, men on, men off continuosly or when my hair and men himo have to be moved to tie a ribbon on my back. I don't want it so short that the bits at the front don't reach.

How does everyone else manage to avoid it happening? I've seen others with long hair but never seen anyone else having to unpick the knots (whilst the entire class is waiting so we can do rae ).

Perhaps a plait rather than a ponytail? I have also seen people use multiple hair-ties along the length of a long ponytail. Wasn't aware of why but perhaps they were having the same problem and this was their solution. b

Comment

When my hair was mid back length, I had few problems. I think the best thing is not to snug the pony tail tight to the top or even middle of your head. Instead, try to have the band on your neck. That way the tenegui does not keep pulling on the band.
      Conversely, if your hair is short enough, the bangs do not get in the way at all.

Comment

Thanks. I have been practising plaiting my own hair but I need a lot more work on that. Particulary as it ends up so fine at the ends that the bobble doesn't stay in.

I'll try putting the bobble lower but I need to find somewhere where it doesn't slip out. I'm going to try a different sort of bobble at practise tomorrow to see if having a bobble that doesn't slip and it tied lower helps with getting it knotted in my men himo.
        But at this point, I am considering trying a shorter ponytail.

Comment

Nothing much to add other than to say plaiting definitely helps, and seconding the suggestion of have the hair-tie at the nape of your neck rather than any higher, and trying a different kind of hair-tie. Just out of curiosity when you say bobble, do you mean a hair-tie with a decoration attached to it? If so, you may have better luck with a just a plain hair-tie.

I don't know if a shorter pony tail will help, but I will be finding that out for myself at tomorrow night's training session as I've just had my hair cut to just below my shoulders.

Comment

I prefer short hair just for that reason
            at the moment it is short (just above the shoulders) but still needs to be tied back
            Many clips and such stop the straggley bits falling out in front of my face when the men is on
            It doesnt get tangled in the back though
            Also, how high you tie it may have an effect on it getting tangled

Comment

Originally posted by Tasha View Post
              Just out of curiosity when you say bobble, do you mean a hair-tie with a decoration attached to it? If so, you may have better luck with a just a plain hair-tie.

I don't know if a shorter pony tail will help, but I will be finding that out for myself at tomorrow night's training session as I've just had my hair cut to just below my shoulders.
              Yes, I do mean hair tie . I think bobble is perhaps the English word rather than American. Sorry for the confusion. And I have been using a plain one.
              And I'd be interested to know the results.

I tend to tie it, just below the mid point on the back of my head.

I tried a more grippy hair tie yesterday for kendo. It didn't slip at all which is good. I need to try it over more session to see if it gets tangled.

Comment

Originally posted by MiddleEarthNet View Post
                No laughing please. But is there an ideal ponytail length where the men himo don't get knotted into the hair? I have very fine and wispy hair, that comes to my waist when tied and I often get my men himo knotted in my hair a couple of inches below the bobble. It happens most in the sort of session where it is men on, men off, men on, men off continuosly or when my hair and men himo have to be moved to tie a ribbon on my back. I don't want it so short that the bits at the front don't reach.

How does everyone else manage to avoid it happening? I've seen others with long hair but never seen anyone else having to unpick the knots (whilst the entire class is waiting so we can do rae ).
                My friend pointed me to this and, um well I'm not going to say for long as I'm actually a guy, feels a bit like being in the women's locker room, that I should not be here >.> However I'm a guy with really long hair, down to my lower back. I've found the best thing is to tuck it into the back of your Gi so it doesn't get in the way at all. Tie the base of a normal tail once or twice and make sure your tying your Tenugui over the top of the ponytail.

Comment

No reason a guy with long hair can't point out what works. One of my fellow students with long hair was very distressed one day when he saw how badly my hair had tangled. He even offered to untie the men so it would hurt less. However, I untied it at the end of practice and it was not a problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by annoraderenart@ View Post
                    No reason a guy with long hair can't point out what works. One of my fellow students with long hair was very distressed one day when he saw how badly my hair had tangled. He even offered to untie the men so it would hurt less. However, I untied it at the end of practice and it was not a problem at all.
                    What you can also do if you don't WANT to put it down the back of your Gi.. Get a second Tenugui or something like it and used it like a sleeve around your hair from base down as far as it will go. bind it with hair ties so it becomes a hair sheath.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythil View Post
                      My friend pointed me to this and, um well I'm not going to say for long as I'm actually a guy, feels a bit like being in the women's locker room, that I should not be here >.> However I'm a guy with really long hair, down to my lower back. I've found the best thing is to tuck it into the back of your Gi so it doesn't get in the way at all. Tie the base of a normal tail once or twice and make sure your tying your Tenugui over the top of the ponytail.
                      Doesn't matter if you male or female, if you've got long hair, your welcome in .

Originally posted by Mythil View Post
                      What you can also do if you don't WANT to put it down the back of your Gi.. Get a second Tenugui or something like it and used it like a sleeve around your hair from base down as far as it will go. bind it with hair ties so it becomes a hair sheath.
                      Ooh, I like that idea. I'll definatly try that.

Incidently, I had my hair cut so it is still tied up but not as long and that has helped.

Comment

Originally posted by MiddleEarthNet View Post
                        Doesn't matter if you male or female, if you've got long hair, your welcome in .

Ooh, I like that idea. I'll definatly try that.

Incidently, I had my hair cut so it is still tied up but not as long and that has helped.
                        No problem. I've found that my hair gets tangled up if it's just hanging loose. If you tie it up tight at the base of your skull you're fine. Or use a hair sheath the way they would tie a horses tail up.

Also remember to do this when you get into your Gi or before turning up. Don't take up more time in the line up by doing your hair

Comment

Thank goodness it's not just me with this issue. I wondered how other people managed it. I already tie my hair as low as I can, but my hair still tangles from time to time. I've just learned to carefully tease it out as I fasten the men to avoid having to rip it out when unfastening it. But thanks for the info, will try some of these ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Yuffie View Post
                            Thank goodness it's not just me with this issue. I wondered how other people managed it. I already tie my hair as low as I can, but my hair still tangles from time to time. I've just learned to carefully tease it out as I fasten the men to avoid having to rip it out when unfastening it. But thanks for the info, will try some of these ideas!
                            Also, here is another thing you can do. Tie your hair tight at the base of your skull (just above your ears). Then make sure your Tenugui goes over the top bit (where it's tied). Then make sure you're tying your men himo OVER your hair by pulling the himo out and then tying them over your hair in a single knot (not the usual way but it keeps your hair down for the bow)

Comment

I use a thick elastic tie which is covered with a soft cushy material. You can find them in the hair section at any supermarket cheap. I gather my hair into a ponytail and tie at the nape of my neck, so the hair on my head and in the ponytail lays flat. If you have frizzy hair, consider applying a bit of gel spray and combing it through the long part of your hair before you make the ponytail. I put on tenugui like everyone else. Then, I put on men.

The reason your hair is tangled in himo is because when you tie men, your hair is not flat. You have to make sure when you tie himo that none of your long hair is accidently caught up in the himo. Really make sure the tenuqui covers the hair on the back of your head where the himo crosses behind the men.

Finally, if you make sure the himo is pulled so the loops and the ends of the other pieces are all same length, then you shouldn't have any problems with hair getting tangled.

When you take off men, find the himo knotted behind your head and, using both hands, find the himo. Run your hands once down the himo to clear the way of hair. Then take off men.

I have been doing kendo about 25 years, I'm female, and I have very long thick hair. When I was a beginner, I used to have problems with hair getting tangled up in himo. But once I learned the above tricks, I didn't have anymore problems - except for one time, which is already recorded in the Embarrassing Moments thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X