How to wear Tenugui for woman ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wear Tenugui for woman ??

We do have few female students in our class and they all have long hair and seems to have difficulty of wearing Tenugui. Any suggestion ??

I no longer have any hair, but my nieces (u know them) practice kendo and have very long straight hair. They don't have issues. They say it is best to tie a low pony tail then wear then tenugui normally. I imagine it would be different if you have very wavy hair. In this case there is a guy in your federation (3 dan) that used to have very long curly hair. I believe he actually wore two tenugui. One on the back to contain his hair and one in the front. I never paid any attention to how he tied them. I would ask him if I ever ran into the problem. If you do not know who I am talking about PM me and I will remind you of his name. I will get my niece to post a pic if you believe it would be helpful.

Comment

I've always just seen a ponytail at the nape of the neck, makes it easier for the himo too. Maybe a french braid would work?

They can try the "party hat" style as well, that will tend to cover more hair and hopefully get less tangles.

Comment

Thanks sensei... I guess I can tell them try Party Hat or French Braid... I don't know what these mean so I have to google this...

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker View Post
          Thanks sensei... I guess I can tell them try Party Hat or French Braid... I don't know what these mean so I have to google this...
          The party hat is a way of tying the tenugui. You've probably seen it, that's where you fold it in half lengthwise with the folded side away from you. Turn one end of the tenugui downward at a 45 degree angle pointing away from its original end. Then do the same for the other end of the tenugui. Flip the whole thing over, tuck in the ends, and put it on your head like a hat (description stolen from joekc6nix from another thread). It covers the ears completely and extends to the nape of the neck. Apparently there's an illustration in Ozawa's book (Definitive Guide).

French braid is a hair style, the girls will know what you mean.
          Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 5th October 2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

I've had this problem many a time. I'm female with long straight and fine hair. I even asked on here for advice. I wear my tenugui in the hat method. I try and tie my ponytail low but being realistic, it actually doesn't sit low enough, so my aim is to cover the bobble with the tenugui and then knot the himo just above the bobble. My biggest problem used to be the himo getting knotted in my hair. I now, as I reach back to pull the sides out slightly so there is a gap over the ears also feel if there is any hair caught. And if there if, pull it out now. If it's caught now, it will definitly be worse after practise. Then carry on with kote as normal.

Comment

When I used to have long hair, I tie my ponytail high and make sure every part of my hair are tucked into the tenegui. Probably only works if the person's hair doesn't take up too much room.

Comment

Working...
              X