Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tie hakama for female kendoka

Hi there! Newbie here and at kendo too...not even 6 kyu yet :$

I will be purchasing my first uniform soon and my sensei showed us how to tie a hakama but it's hard when you don't have your own and specially because I'm the only female in our group. I searched through the threads and I couldn't find a particular way to tie the hakama. I also read somewhere that women tend to tie the back first and then the front (or it could be the other way around, don't really remember), so I wanted to ask the more experienced ladies here if they have a particular way to tie the hakama. I'm 5'5 and I have a slim build, b cup and normal size hips (I usually wear size small and size 5 for jeans or lower depending on the brand, another measurement is 92 cms of hips). I appreciate any inputs from the sempais here
    Last edited by tmog; 5th January 2016, 12:51 AM.

Women tie the same as men. They just usually tie them higher. If you have a pronounced waist then you will probably be more comfortable tying it at the waist than at the hips as men do. This usually means going up a size.

Look at the picture in my post at the top of page 3 in this old thread.
    Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 4th January 2016, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips . I was going to choose a size 3. But if my waist is narrower than my hips, wouldn't going a size bigger be a bit of a problem? I might be wrong but I wouldn't like having too much extra fabric on me

Comment

Originally posted by tmog View Post
        Thanks for the tips . I was going to choose a size 3. But if my waist is narrower than my hips, wouldn't going a size bigger be a bit of a problem? I might be wrong but I wouldn't like having too much extra fabric on me
        Sizes like 3 are usually for the keikogi. You would be a 2 or a 3 by most company's keikogi sizing. As you are slim a 2 might be a better fit but it would be helpful to try on a keikogi from the same company as the fit is sometimes a little different. E-bogu for example tend to fit a little larger than some other companies.

Hakama sizes are usually a number in the 20s for most people. At 5'5" you would be looking at a 24 or 25 in a hakama, by most company's sizing. The difference between a 24 and 25 hakama is mostly in length. When I order uniforms for our beginners, I will usually bring in a few extra in sizes up and down to make sure we get the sizes right.

In your case it might be helpful to try on one of your club members' hakama to check.

Comment

Working...
        X