Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiho

Hi all,

I am new to Iai, it was my 2nd class last night. I am already having difficulty remembering the Reiho. Anyone have any tips to remembering it all?

Thanks
    Drew

Practice, practice, practice

Comment

hehe I expected that would the answer. I think i am just a little overloaded in that I learnt the basics of Noto(returning sword to saya??) also last night.

I like Reiho though, I think it looks impressive when done properly.

Out of curiosity, does Reiho differ from Seitei to a Koryu? I have not seen a Koryu style being practiced yet.

Cheers,
      Drew

Comment

Originally posted by abryson

Out of curiosity, does Reiho differ from Seitei to a Koryu? I have not seen a Koryu style being practiced yet.
        It does, yeah.

Now is a good time to get a basic grasp on reiho. Since you`re studying very basic stuff in the early lessons, there`s less to distract you from this vital aspect of iai practice. It took me an embarrasingly long time to learn my beginning and ending to-rei, and when I say "learn," I simply mean performing the actions in the correct order, not with the expected finesse. I think there`s a tendency among westerners to view the etiquette portion of Japanese fighting arts as less important than the more practical combatative aspects. But Japan is a culture of kata and your beginning and ending reiho are no less part of the kata than mae and ushiro. This is especially true of shinsa where sloppy reiho can damn you as much as a botched noto (or so I`m told). Also, remember that later in your career, when you`re performing kata in front of people, the reiho will be, respectively the first and last impressions that you make. First impressions are vital in Japanese society and, by extension, in imported Japanese culture.

That said, don`t expect to have it completely in the bag so early on. Iaido is one persnickety art and everything takes time.
        Last edited by Nokori 3byo; 27th June 2006, 12:30 PM.

Comment

But remember reiho isn't a religious experience, so don't drag it out (tee hee)

Comment

But remember reiho isn't a sexual experience, so don't drag it out (tee hee)

Comment

Can't believe you lowered the tone. Just about sums up your performance eh Jonty.

Basically back on the plot - some people really get profound over reiho so the advice at seminars was keep it neat, crisp and respectful.

Comment

Originally posted by abryson
                Actually, you probably have. Seitei reiho is also an amalgam of various koryu reiho. That's why you use the thumb on the tsuba during the opening reiho and the index finger for the closing reiho. They come from different ryuha.

Comment

Budo Angel got this about right,

neat and crisp. Don't get over 'zenned' about the thing. Do it properly, with meaning and at the right pace.

And the advice of practice , practice , practice was also right. When grading or in Taikai it is advantageous if one does not need to 'remember' the reiho and can 'just do it' - that frees your mind to focus on the kata theselves and perform to ones highest standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Budo Angel
                    Can't believe you lowered the tone. Just about sums up your performance eh Jonty.

Basically back on the plot - some people really get profound over reiho so the advice at seminars was keep it neat, crisp and respectful.
                    You're right budo...my peformance is never neat or crisp but I like to think it's respectful..my reiho on the other hand is pure poetry however.

Comment

Originally posted by John Tee
                      ...my reiho on the other hand is pure poetry however.

Err, perhaps not Byron, Keats, Shelley or Wordsworth.... try John Cooper-Clark...."you're like a sucked and spat out smartie, no good to anyone"

Comment

Originally posted by satsumaruma
                        Err, perhaps not Byron, Keats, Shelley or Wordsworth.... try John Cooper-Clark...."you're like a sucked and spat out smartie, no good to anyone"
                        Funny enough thats what my ex-wifes lawyer said too. Mind you he died a week later reportedly whilst performing a reiho that went terribly wrong and ended up hanging himself by his own sageo.
                        Last edited by John Tee; 28th June 2006, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Yeah

But I bet the fact that you are a 'sucked and spat out smartie' and that he ended up dead never stopped mrs exjonty getting her paws on your millions

Comment

Originally posted by satsumaruma
                            Yeah

But I bet the fact that you are a 'sucked and spat out smartie' and that he ended up dead never stopped mrs exjonty getting her paws on your millions
                            anyway...back to reiho....any one heard of someone failing a grading for doing koryu rei during a seitei grading or vicky versa? Or am I going to be the first Lee?.....

Comment

Anyone have any tips to remembering it all?
                              Besides practice, I would recommend that you get a looseleaf notebook!
                              I always urge people to start a notebook. After class, write down all the major points that you can remember of whatever you were taught. Write down any words that you can remember that were said that you didn't understand. Leave room to expand on things and provide for definitions when you find out the meanings. This will provide you with a reference that you can use all your life, as well as helping to cement all of this new stuff into your brain.

Comment

Working...
                              X