X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seiza callouses

There are huge bumps on the top of my feet, from seiza. Many of my sempai have them as well, they're positively unsightly. Is it possible to do anything about these? Normally I'd just hack off the blister or callous with a pocket knife, but these bumps are really hard, like a bone more than a callous.

Hate to sound like a schoolgirl, but they really are yucky! Is there anything that can be done?

c

one thing I noticed stopped them a little was wearing tabi.. they stop the oils getting drained out of your feet so they dont dry up as much... after that you've had it... oh and rub some foot cream in to soften them up. Noticed my teachers like to brag about how hard their feet are though...

Tim Hamilton

Comment

Are you sure these are callouses on the tops of your feet? If not, please go see a podiatrist. Otherwise, to improve things understand it is going to take a bit of time but your feet will start to look better and be much healthier. Go to the department store and purchase a quality foot cream from the cosmetic counter. Make sure it has alphahydroxy acid. They may also have some special socks which will help speed the healing process.

Use a pumice stone your feet every time you bath. Dont do it first thing in the bath; let your skin get all warmed up a bit. Also you dont have to scrub them raw or for a long time. Be nice to your skin. After youre out, massage in the lotion. Since it sounds like your feet are pretty scary you may need to use the cream twice a day for awhile.

Jojoba (ho-ho-ba) essence is also good for your skin. It's not oily, absorbs quickly and it's as close as you can get to the body's natural oils. But it wont remove dead cells.

Dont worry, your feet will still be strong and tough but your lover will no longer be afraid to massage them. And who doesnt enjoy a good foot massage after a hard keiko?

Read issue #4: Kendo Clinic - Blisters Its a great article on foot care.

BTW you are tempting fate if you keep cutting things off your feet. Your feet are an important part of your kendo, they deserve better than a pocket knife.

If all this seems like too much trouble then make like a schoolgirl and start getting regular pedicures.

Comment

It's not like that, they're actually big lumps on the top of my feet from seiza. Maybe they're not callouses, but they're really unusual. It's like having a big bony bump on the top of your foot.

As for the bottoms, that's no problem. The harder your feet get on the bottom, the better it is for kendo. That is, assuming you're not getting cracked and disgusting.

c

Comment

If the lumps are thick dry skin like callouses the alphahydropxy will help but if they are internal or fatty-like you should get them checked out by a professional. Could be corns and the Dr. can recommend something over the counter.

Regular use of the pumice stone and jojoba will prevent cracking.

Comment

Nope, it:s definately like callouses, they're on the arched part of my foot. Incredibly annoying. My grandmother has corns from Hades, I know what those look like.

c

Comment

Well then, the alphahydroxy lotion+pumice routine should get those under control. It might be a bit uncomfortable using the pumice on the tops of your feet but it can't hurt as much as cutting them with a pocket knife. You should see an improvement in a week or so. Eventually they will be completely under control.

Good luck,
              K

Comment

Try suet of deer.

Comment

i asked a sensei who has been in kendo for over 70 years , and he told me NOBODY he has know or knows gets callouses from seiza..
                  seems like something else is wrong when you do seiza ..

Comment

Inouye 02,

Meet NOBODY, me. I have one.

Confound,

Bony lump I have one on my left foot. The right one is okay. It is funny looking, a bump on the top above and slightly in front of the arch.

Mine is due to improper seiza I think. Ive badly sprained both ankles a long time ago and they are not so flexible anymore. What I have resorted to is to tape foot and ankle with athletic tape and use some foam tape (used to keep the tape from sticking to your skin). After taping foot I add another folded foam tape over the bump and secure with another wrap of athletic tape. This seems to help as it cushions the bone from the floor.

However, this is only short term fix. Long term is to fix the seiza position try to turn ankles more so you sit on the outside of the foot (pinkie toe side).

Comment

yeah , and you are still a NOBODY,,wahahahaha...like i said it's something wrong when you do seiza!!

since your as big a one grizzly bear, your A$$ be tooooo okii..

abdula, abdula , abdula fata aii ...

Comment

Originally posted by Inouye02
                        yeah , and you are still a NOBODY,,wahahahaha...like i said it's something wrong when you do seiza!!

since your as big a one grizzly bear, your A$$ be tooooo okii..

abdula, abdula , abdula fata aii ...
                        What kind of obscure and impolite behaviour is this? Is your mind as blank as your profile?

Comment

Actually, my iai sensei is an orthopedic surgeon. He laughed when I showed him my feet. He responded by pulling up his hakama an inch or two and showing me the huge callouses on his feet. Bear in mind that some people practice very, very often, and as as a result, spend a silly amount of time in seiza.

Apparently, this isn't abnormal at all.

Roar: Kurukuru is a waste of your precious time.
                          c

Comment

Inouye 02,

I might be as big as a bear, and have and @ss as wide as the Grand Canyon, but at least Im not short like you.

Dont make me come over there and sit on you!

Comment

i forgot your 9ft tall, but next to king kong, you look mah?..
                              wahahahaha....

confoundchan , you think your the only one who practices alot ?
                              and I"M NOT kurukuru..thank you very much

Comment

Working...
                              X