Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iaito schools, ever heard of these?

mugi-ryu
    enchin-ryu

I only know a couple styles and have never heard of these. Have any of you heard of them or are in them? Is it similar to Shinden or Muso Jikiden?

You will have a much easier time doing research with the correct names. They should be Mugai ryu and Enshin ryu. Both are koryu arts with similarities and differences to MSR and MJER. I know of a couple of different lines of Mugai ryu in the U.S., but I don't know of anyone teaching Enshin ryu.

Comment

i like to use hitten-mitsurugi-ryu *wink wink* giggles

Comment

Originally posted by Optomitrist
        mugi-ryu
        enchin-ryu

I only know a couple styles and have never heard of these. Have any of you heard of them or are in them? Is it similar to Shinden or Muso Jikiden?
        The closeset I've heard to those ryu would be Mugai-Ryu and Enshin-Ryu.

Comment

and perhaps if you searched under iaido instead of iaito?
          :P

Comment

Originally posted by pgsmith
            You will have a much easier time doing research with the correct names.
            Sorry, I was given this spelling by someone actually taking them. How was I to know that they were wrong. (That would explain why I got no hits on the subject though.)

Originally posted by pgsmith
            and perhaps if you searched under iaido instead of iaito?
            :P
            oops, I didn't mean to iaito.

Comment

mugi-ryu
              enchin-ryu

Mugai-ryu is an iaijutsu school of which there are several lines out there. Some in Kansai and some in Kanto. They teach solo iai & kenjutsu.

Enshin-ryu Iai suemonogiri kempo is a sword school primarily based in Kansai. They train in iai, kenjutsu and various forms of tameshigiri.

They are very different from Tosa iai systems like Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu & Muso Shinden-ryu (Shimomura-ha).

Comment

Originally posted by Saitama Steve
                They are very different from Tosa iai systems like Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu & Muso Shinden-ryu (Shimomura-ha).
                Is it the kenjustu affiliations what makes it different than that of the Tosa iai systems?

Comment

I'm guessing it has more to do with the fact that they are just plain different styles from different regions. There are a fair number of styles survived to the modern day. Many of them are quite different from each other at a technical level.

Would the Mugai Ryu be Pitchford-sensei up in Chicago at the Japanese Cultural Center by any chance? http://www.japaneseculturecenter.com/iaido.shtml
                  Last edited by Charles Mahan; 13th July 2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Mahan
                    Would the Mugai Ryu be Pitchford-sensei up in Chicago at the Japanese Cultural Center by any chance? http://www.japaneseculturecenter.com/iaido.shtml
                    Wow! Pitchford sensei has quite the CV!

Comment

Originally posted by mark
                      Wow! Pitchford sensei has quite the CV!
                      Yes, he is a very knowledgable budoka. I met him in Tokyo earlier on this year, some of the arcane knowledge that came out of him during conversation was staggering. He spent over two decades in Japan and trained in five different budo, attaining high states of proficiency in each.

Comment

Is it the kenjustu affiliations what makes it different than that of the Tosa iai systems?
                        Nope, it's the ryuha, history, traditions, theories of combative technique, etc which make the ryuha different from the Tosa iai systems.

Comment

I also think you may have been given a spelling mistake for enshin as you are in the USA... eishin ryu is quite popular near you, whereas enshin is a lot lesser known....

Comment

Enshin-ryu Iai suemonogiri kempo is a sword school primarily based in Kansai. They train in iai, kenjutsu and various forms of tameshigiri.
                            Correct - and very accurate.
                            The only thing I would add is that Jujutsu is quite common as well. Our dojo, for instance, teaches Enshin Ryu Iai as well as Fusen Ryu Jujutsu.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Enshin Ryu.
                            I go to a dojo in Osaka, but know of several others in the Kansai.

Comment

Working...
                            X