X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting

Anyone know what ryu this is. It's seems to be iai without seated forms or nukitsuki.

Some Moves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX8tQ...elated&search=

Some Kata
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkYh...elated&search=

Tamashigiri Extravaganza
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S5Dk...elated&search=

reminds me of Headong Kumdo. Notice the korean writing. Not saying that it is though.

Comment

incredible tameshigiri, this isnt haidong, in haidong, they use a grey hakama and a different blue ontheir keikogi

Comment

Let me dispel some myths about tameshigiri. It is simple to cut straw and mats. You need a sharp sword, the weight of the sword dropped onto a mat will cut into it about two inches, the mats they use in the video can be cut with one handed cuts. VERY EASILY. You just need simple technique.
        I proved this by getting a complete beginner to cut a three mat roll with a single handed cut, which he did with no problems after being shown the technique and trying it out without the mats there for about ten 'swings'.
        I have similar techniques on a battodo tape, and there is a korean competitor on the tape, so I suppose this is related. The stances suggest not much iaido but more kendo influence as they are quite high in stance and do not use iaigoshi. The hand grips are not too good on some of the clips. The posture in some parts is poor, and I thought the techniques shows an early level of practitioner, in particular the 'avoidance then cut' move which has too long a time interval...

Comment

I belive it may be Toyamaryu

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan View Post
            The hand grips are not too good on some of the clips. The posture in some parts is poor, and I thought the techniques shows an early level of practitioner, in particular the 'avoidance then cut' move which has too long a time interval...
            Couldn't disagree with you more. The posture varies appropriately with the angle/direction of the the cut. The grip is proper, and the cha'k gum (noto) is impeccable. The 'avoidance manuever' is too long on part of the video clip because it is shown in an instructional/demo tape (notice the shorter length when demonstrated against an opponent.)

Anyone know what ryu this is.
            The martial artist shown is Grand Master Jin K. Seong, Kyosa 7th Dan, and Kwang Jan Nim (headmaster) of the Sung Moo Kwan Kendo Academy in East Brunswick, NJ. He is affiliated with the Korean Kumdo Association, which is the Korean member asociation of the IKF. Added to kumdo/kendo, GM Seong incorporates cutting drills/forms that, as far as I can tell, he devised himself, although they may have some legacy outside the IKF (Even though Daehan Kumdo fencing is recognized as identical to Japanese kendo, most Deahan Kumdo schools also teach forms like these that are not part of regular kendo training.) He calls his art 'siljun dobup', which roughly translated is something like 'authentic sword methods', or 'techniques for real (live) sword'.

You can see his school's website here, or more video clips of his school (including the more standard kendo training) here.

Sorry for the late post, but I just saw this thread.

Comment

Observe at 30 seconds into the tameshigiri clip and watch the left hand shift on the tsuka immediately after cutting. This is symptomatic of poor cutting grip. The guy in the video would agree. I reckon if he'd seen it before the video was published it would have been edited out...
              The right hand 'wanders' during noto, and is very obvious at a section where you look past the mat during the noto. This is poor, as the sword should not go into the saya, but the saya goes on to the sword. The sword seems relatively 'short' compared to some schools, so there is no reason to do this.

High grades make mistakes as do we all... you just have to look harder...

Comment

Well his kata's have many Nakamura Ryu and Toyama ryu similarities, (like happogiri and some of the chiburi noto used, but it's the kumitachi that says otherwise.

Comment

Careful Tim, unless you are Alexander the great you don't want that horse too high! although I agree with some of your comments and also noticed that during the tameshi giri on some of the noto his thumb is up and waiting for the tsuba, you have to remember different styles expect different things! I'm sure an MSR or TSKSR guy/girl could rip your kata apart based on different criteria! and lets not forget whats important, there's a cute girl in dougi swinging a sword at the start

Comment

I was merely trying to point out that just about anyone can make tameshigiri look good if they know what they are doing. I once visited an aiki dojo and to prove a point got the most junior student (6 weeks training, he was about 17 yrs old), showed him how to do a single handed cut on a three mat roll using an upward kesa cut, and let him 'have a go'. He went straight through first time, nice cut. What is harder to do (and would have been better on the video to show skill) is a 'flat' nukitsuke as in mae, from kneeling.
                    My comment on seniors making mistakes is not unusual, any senior grade would be the first to admit he has them... my teacher says he finds new things to do all the time.. and at 95 yrs old you think at hachidan etc he might have had it sorted by now... The errors are smaller, and they look for different things to junior grades, but they still look to improve. 7th dans still have a long way to go to hit what they would consider perfection.... look at how hard they have to work for 8th dan for instance...
                    Also note there are very few videos of 7th dans out there... there is a reason for this, in that any mistakes you make reflect on your teacher if he is still alive. If people would like a full critique on, say, this video or any other one for instance, I can ask next time I am over and you can see what an 8th dan thinks of it. What shodans think of as good if they watch, say, a godan, does not even cut the mustard as far as an 8th dan is concerned.
                    Now if you want a laugh at a video I can show you some of my stuff from japan where I make a total a^&e of myself trying to do just one 'decent' cut as sensei is expecting me to do. Two hours of practise and I finally do what he wants. (you can almost hear the sigh of relief... ) And that is NO WAY going on youtube. ever.
                    I just read my first note again... it was a bit abrupt. But such is email conversations...

Comment

Re: Tameshigiri

More importantly, you're right. She is cute. I'm liking the sound effects too.

Comment

No worries...

I understand what you were saying so no worries. Just wanted to spread the words of peace and love there are much more inflametory videos out there! After all for an art based on such violence it is amazing how much peace it brings

Peace and love my budokai brethren.

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan View Post
                          7th dans still have a long way to go to hit what they would consider perfection
                          Are there actually 7th dan out there who consider perfection to be achievable? Or only a closer approximation thereof?

-B

Comment

eeerrrmmm.... no, now that I think on it...however they at least can see what 8th dans do and try and achieve that....
                            It reminds me of what is written on the menkyo kaiden certificates..."now you have achieved this level, go out and practise"!!!

Comment

Seong sensei's tameshigiri (and inventive noto) seem positively abstemious compared to this guy(s)

b

Comment

Working...
                              X