X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tilt
    The phrase "There's more to fishing than catching fish" applies to Kendo.
    Oh? When will learn what anadromous fish are then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Humm
      Oh? When will learn what anadromous fish are then ?
      Oh no! A fish thread!

[Insert the name of a fish that sounds like a word used in Kendo here].

Tilt.

Comment

Hey Alan, great job keeping us on track!
        Originally posted by Alan Molstad
        but as far as the handle goes, I still think that if it's bonded on and will not pop off no matter what you might try, then unless the guy wants to leave good enough alone , (not a bad idea) the only thing left to do is grind off the handle and start over with making a new one.
        Pretty valuable considerations you've mentioned Alan. I've only dismantled a couple of the iaito that a few of us use and they all came apart much easier than onrayvenswings. Thankfully, I've not had that problem yet. We have a very dry climate here and it can have an impact on wooden parts.

Maybe he could wait until a Token kai event rolls around and visit some of the vendors? I'm sure they'll be able to help! Flordia Token kai is pretty soon, I think. Sun, swords, and surf! Wish I could go.

Maybe he should ask JSSUS?

Comment

I am so disappointed in all of you. Calling yourselves swordsman when all your doing is worrying how someone isn't in a dojo like you. How foolish and shameful to act as such.

How unfruitful it is to think I found a forum in which to discuss swordsmanship is filled with such ignorance. The OP asked what may be going on with his sword. He was stumped. And if he lives in a city like mine, than he had no dojo, no home to hone his skill, and it is foolish to look down at him for showing interest. If you want to troll, go to 4chan with the rest of the idiots.

SINCERITY. That is all you need to start going down the right path. As long as you are sincere in your actions, and being safe, you are doing no wrong to me. Obviously all of you for the most part forgot about that along the way. I hope your sensei don't ever see any of you behaving in such a manner befitting drunks and losers.

Comment

You do realize you've dug up a 5 1/2 year old thread? I'm sure you can find plenty of more recent threads where we are not up to your standards.

Comment

I would rather he avoids the mistakes we made when we first started. I have seen guys in hospital with 20 + stitches in their hands even after 15 years of training due to a slip with a live blade....
              I really do sympathise with 'no local dojo'.... I used to travel for a day to get there and a day back by train when I first started, Lewes was a long way from my home up in the north east UK. I practised at home between trips, but had a lot of notes to keep me going and could phone if I hit a problem.... UK is now a lot better, USA I guess is still about travelling, however making the effort saves a LOT of time trying to fathom out stuff. My advice for anyone like this is to find a good teacher, and travel down for weekends/seminars as often as you can. Even swapping some familiarity with blades from other MA doesnt really work for iaido, there are too many nuances that are not apparent to the naked eye that need explanation/demonstration.
              I do not wish to be seen as rude, I just want the guy to avoid the hassles we went through... been there, got the t-shirt etc... get someone who will save a vast quantity of time for you in the long run. Also he may show you how to always make sure the saya is the right way up all the time so you never split one and need to buy another. Like I had to do. (and it is an amazingly simple check when you find out what it is...)

Comment

That means people have been acting like this for 5 1/2 years? Maybe I got rustled because this isn't the only thread I've seen with such rudeness.

Chidokan, I appreciate that you haven't been rude in your reply. I just wish more people were patient and polite.

Comment

Dear RHarris,

It isn't the forum's job to ask aspiring martial artists nicely and with loving tenderness to seek out instruction before they potentially cripple themselves (or someone else!) mishandling weaponry.

If harsh words are enough to send someone packing then these guys saved the original poster a lot of time and frustration.

Most of the time the people here are decent fellows. The advice on page 1 was offered on friendly terms until the original poster started rambling about self-taught farmers and how his way was just fine. If self-teaching really was the way to go, why would he need to ask the internet how to service his weapon?

I wonder what those guys ended up doing with themselves 5+ years later...

Comment

That means people have been acting like this for 5 1/2 years? Maybe I got rustled because this isn't the only thread I've seen with such rudeness.
                    And what exactly makes you think that we shouldn't be rude to someone who is acting in a way that, from our perspective, is dangerous and stupid. If you see a child riding his bicycle in the middle of the highway, do you worry about being rude or about getting him to stop doing something so easily fatal?
                    SINCERITY. That is all you need to start going down the right path. As long as you are sincere in your actions, and being safe, you are doing no wrong to me. Obviously all of you for the most part forgot about that along the way. I hope your sensei don't ever see any of you behaving in such a manner befitting drunks and losers.
                    That is a mistaken opinion. Sincerity will NOT stop you from dropping random fingers off on the ground because you are playing with a sharp sword. And by the way, a number of those folks that you are referring to as "drunks and losers" ARE the sensei in their own dojo.

It's a very good lesson to consider. Just because something does not conform to your version of reality, that doesn't make it any less real. Perhaps it's a far better idea on your part to read and learn, and keep your judgements to yourself until you gain enough experience in life to achieve some perspective.

Just a thought.

Comment

Mr. Smith and other,

That kind of crap is exactly what I'm talking about. Of course safety is a huge concern, I'm not talking about children and bicycles, I'm talking about swords. And if you are sensei in your own dojo, I would never want to be a part of that now.

The point is that all of you have set horrible examples of respect. Just because something does not conform to your version of respect, that doesn't make it any less real. Maybe that could be a good lesson for you.

I'm out of this crap, I'll let you "sensei" dig your hole deeper. Maybe yall could try to help people come to your dojo, giving you more money btw, instead of taking the time to grind them down. Doesn't take a genius to see that your comments are rude, and maybe justifiable, but its only hurting you and your dojo.

Comment

Hi,

Is your first name Rolf by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by RHarris View Post

Chidokan, I appreciate that you haven't been rude in your reply. I just wish more people were patient and polite.
                          Polite, like after 2 or 3 posts you jump in amongst people you don't know and presume to judge them by your own dubious standards. Your last post suggest you will not be back. So you won't read this, but that's no loss to either of us.

I hope you enjoyed your conceited self aggrandising poke at the hornet's nest. Now run away and hide.

Comment

And if you are sensei in your own dojo, I would never want to be a part of that now.
                            Not a problem there!

[quote]I'm out of this crap, I'll let you "sensei" dig your hole deeper. Maybe yall could try to help people come to your dojo, giving you more money btw, instead of taking the time to grind them down. Doesn't take a genius to see that your comments are rude, and maybe justifiable, but its only hurting you and your dojo. [quote]
                            Not to worry, I don't accept students your age anyway. Nobody practices the Japanese sword arts for money, it's a losing proposition. We all do it because we have a love for the art. Personally, I only choose to share that with people that I deem worth it, and you don't fit that ideal child. Not having you as a student is not hurting me in the least thanks.

Comment

have i been missing out with something?...maybe not

Comment

Not much, just Yet Another Hit And Run.

I hope you find whatever you're looking for, RHarris. Best of luck with your next forum and/or screen name.

Comment

Working...
                                X