Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manuka View Post
    Got to walk before you run.
    Problem is, walking will only teach you walking. In order to run, you have to practice running as well.

The right mix varies, depending on the student.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugtm View Post
      Is there a website online that helps you by explaining the kata's and telling you their movements. I want to practice them at home but keep forgetting parts or entire kata's. Video demo's would also be a big help.
      In addition to the videos already posted, there's a photo essay on seiteigata which you can access as a PDF here.

I agree with the taking notes -- this is crucial, especially because there are a number of things you *can't* see in videos, namely foot positions. Neither can a video tell you how you should feel as you're executing the kata.

I think it's unfortunate that you're having all these kata dumped on you in a short period of time and I wish you best in coming to some comfort zone with them.
      Last edited by babayaga; 11th April 2007, 12:42 PM. Reason: grammar oops

Comment

first of all thanks for the help and advice ill try and make a journal(maybe a blog or something if im really to lazy) for iaido and kendo kata. not much to write in kendo itself since i'm not in bogu and not really learning waza yet.
        Originally posted by babayaga View Post
        In addition to the videos already posted, there's a photo essay on seiteigata which you can access as a PDF here.

I agree with the taking notes -- this is crucial, especially because there are a number of things you *can't* see in videos, namely foot positions. Neither can a video tell you how you should feel as you're executing the kata.

I think it's unfortunate that you're having all these kata dumped on you in a short period of time and I wish you best in coming to some comfort zone with them.
        Thanks for the pdf. But actually I'm kinda happy i get all the kata in a short amount of time. I improve most when I'm pushed harder and have short deadlines(otherwise i procrastinate like crazy) So it's really improving(in my opinion and one of my sensei's also commented on it) my sword work quickly. The only thing was that i needed a way to remember the steps at home. so thanks Babayaga-san.
        I can't wait to get started with Muso Shinden Ryu.
        Last edited by Pugtm; 11th April 2007, 01:44 PM. Reason: addendum

Comment

Originally posted by Pugtm View Post
          Just found this
          i found this website and it looks accurate but still can someone look at it:
          http://www.iaido-nord.de/seitei-e.php

Please do not try to copy these, i found them to be lacking in every respect, no zanshin, no seme, little control, and soete tskui looked very dangerous, if that was a shinken he would have lost his fingers.

my 2 cents worth

David

Comment

Videos

Hurumph!

Yes, I agree with David. While there is a lot worse stuff out there, there are so many technical mistakes with the movies that you would just as well not see them as they will only develop bad habits in you. Not sure why they are so into koryu given their very poor seitei...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz View Post
              BTW, my friend Fujieda sensei tells me he visited the Czec Republic recently. Did you get a chance to meet him? His kendo is soooooo good. Unfortunately, I have never met his teacher, you folks are lucky.
              Yes, we all had a great time with him He was here together with Ozawa sensei. Has really nice kendo and also is a very friendly man.

(Sorry for being off topic)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Watson View Post
                Not sure why they are so into koryu given their very poor seitei...
                btw there are MSR (shoden and chuden) videos as well. I do not have enough skill to comment, but I can't say I liked them

Comment

I was trying to be polite when I commented on those videos as I'm only shodan, but I agree totally with what the sensei have just said. They're really very poor.

Comment

it could be a blog as someone suggested for the thread guy... in which case the mistakes are probably ok for the level! Otherwise its a fine example of why NOT to go 'live' in video until you are 8th dan and about 90 yrs old...
                    I would advise watching Ogura s. instead, but copy the format used by the german guy for your notes. Did you find anything that impressed you on youtube BTW?

Kaoru, sorry if I seemed harsh, but sometimes I find pushing people harder makes them work better, and he sounded like a prime candidate for it!

Comment

[QUOTE=pgsmith;247551I always tell my Scouts "If you ever find yourself making an excuse, look around carefully for whatever it is that you've messed up because you'll never have one without the other." [/QUOTE]

Great quote! I think I will crib it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan View Post
                        it could be a blog as someone suggested for the thread guy... in which case the mistakes are probably ok for the level! Otherwise its a fine example of why NOT to go 'live' in video until you are 8th dan and about 90 yrs old...
                        I would advise watching Ogura s. instead, but copy the format used by the german guy for your notes. Did you find anything that impressed you on youtube BTW?
                        I won't comment on the skill set or quality of the video, I am not up to grade.

I do however disagree with your "not...until you are 8th dan level..." statement. I find that all video's can be useful if they are properly labelled. Here is an example of mudansha doing....... It does however take a bit of humility to be able to look back at your signposts that you now think sucks

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                          I do however disagree with your "not...until you are 8th dan level..." statement. I find that all video's can be useful if they are properly labelled. Here is an example of mudansha doing....... It does however take a bit of humility to be able to look back at your signposts that you now think sucks
                          I think the main problem with these is that they don't appear to be properly labelled - in fact, they seem to be presented as reference examples. If they are videos of lower grades then that's fair enough, but nowhere is that pointed out. As it is they don't present the dojo in a very good light.

My sempai and I often video each other to find our weak points. We comment on each other's videos to see if we can find things the other has missed. I've sent copies to some of my other sempai for them to criticise. But I don't think we'd ever make them public, and we certainly wouldn't use them for dojo publicity.

Comment

Back to the gist of the thread.

The vids referred to would only be able to help you up to a point insomuch as they would serve as a reminder on the basic shape of the kata. If that is what you need right now then fine - save them and refer to them.

But, (and this is a big caveat) you will outgrow them very quickly and I would strongly recommend that if you do wish to refer to them, that you stop doing so as soon as you have a basic idea of all twelve. As noted previously, so soo many mistakes in each one ( not criticising the people doing them; they are where they are at and will get better with practice).

What I will say in these guys defence; the idea of little video vignettes for each kata I quite like. It shows anyone looking into doing Iai what it sort of looks like - I know it isn't great, but we've all been there. Of course as they get better hopefully they will replace these vids for some with much improved kata. I would be interested to know what grades they are and what grade their teacher is. I suspect none are very high and they are dragging themselves up by their bootstraps (attending every seminar they can kind of thing).

Lee

Comment

ogura

Ill use the Ogura-sensei ones. I knew iaido vids were on u Tube But there were so many ryu's and qualities and alot were garbage so i figured that you guys who have been doing this for longer would have already sorted them out and found good ones. Thanks for doing so.

Comment

If you have a video camera and a tripod, I would suggest that you take it with you and set it up. Nothing like a personal video of Ota Sensei teaching kata.

Comment

Working...
                                X