Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojos in DC?

Folks,

Does anybody know of (or has a list) of Iai dojos in the Metro Washington DC area? I would like to return to training after a long absence, and whilst I originally trained in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, I would be willing to consider other styles if the instructors are good.

Many thanks in advance.

Max

Hi Max,
    Shidogakuin has two dojos in the DC area, and I'm pretty sure that both have Iaido.

Check out their website and give the contact people a buzz.

http://www.kendoka.org/

Hope this helps.

burger boy

Comment

Greg Huff Sensei teaches MJER in Northern Virginia (http://eishinkai.homestead.com) if you don't mind the drive. I know he has several students that commute from DC. However, he's not affiliated with the ZNKR or AUSKF.

Will Schutt

Comment

Hey!!

I'm also from the DC area and I've been contacting Greg Huff, he's really nice but if your not over 16, he might not give you a chance...he would prefer if you were over 18...but anyways just e-mail him and he'll talk to you about it....anyways hope your able to find a dojo...

Comment

Or, ...

We currently have got a bunch of MJER refugees doing Batto-do (all standing Kata, Kumitachi and Tameshigiri) in Northern VA. Check out This is Batto-do ... and Ken Shin (Sword Spirit) Kai.

I am currently working on seeing if there is enough interest to get ZNKR Iaido with MJER as Koryu introduced into the Northern Virginia (NOVA) Budokai, which I would instruct.

Greg Huff is a fine instructor -- we have trained together several times. I believe he is affiliated with the ZNIR.

As I recall from their demonstration at the DC Sakura Matsuri (Cherry Blossom Festival) which followed our Kyudo demonstration, Shidogakuin does Muso Shinden Ryu associated with ZNKR.

HTH.

Comment

ooo, hey....do you go to the dojo?? because maybe I'll start going, if Mr. Huff lets me join...becuase I'm still 16 (17 in november), but I'm really hoping he does let me, I've been waiting for a year T_T....well anyways, maybe you can tell me some experiences ^_^

Comment

To: Bruna.

Bruna,

Originally posted by Bruna
              ooo, hey....do you go to the dojo?? because maybe I'll start going, if Mr. Huff lets me join...becuase I'm still 16 (17 in november), but I'm really hoping he does let me, I've been waiting for a year T_T....well anyways, maybe you can tell me some experiences ^_^
              No, I do not train at the dojo (we have different organizational affiliations; he's ZNIR and mine's ZNKR) -- we trained together in Iai at several Jodo seminars in the 1998-2000 time-frame. The last time as I recall was at a joint Jodo-Iaido seminar in NC in Feb. 2000 (I lived in NH then and relocated to south-central MD in Dec. 2001).

I last saw him at the last NOVA Budokai New Year's Eve Embu and Party; he was an invited guest and I was part of the Naginata demo.

Good luck on your bid to begin training.

Comment

oooo...sorry...I guess you practice Kendo more since your afilliated with ZNKR....but you still practice Iaido?? hmmm...would you advice someone to not just take one art, but also try different ones...because maybe I should also start taking Kendo or Jodo...do you think it would help?? what do you sugest

Comment

Originally posted by Bruna
                  oooo...sorry...I guess you practice Kendo more since your afilliated with ZNKR....but you still practice Iaido?? hmmm...would you advice someone to not just take one art, but also try different ones...because maybe I should also start taking Kendo or Jodo...do you think it would help?? what do you sugest
                  Well, I did Kendo for a few years but not since I relocated -- no time.

FYI, ZNKR also has an Iaido section as well as a Jodo section.

Yes, I still do Iaido -- a small group meets with me at my home.

I do recommend multiple arts, but not to go on a sampling expedition.

Kendo and Iaido, or Jodo and Iaido are good complementary pairs. What you take depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. However, IMO it's usually a good idea to start one, and stick with it for a couple of years before adding a new art, but YMMV. I currently practice Iaido, Batto-do, Jodo, Kyudo and Naginata; I teach Iaido and Naginata, assist teaching Kyudo and Batto-do, and I expect to be assisting in teaching Jodo early next year.

If you want, send me your e-mail address in a PM, and we can discuss this in more detail off-forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X