Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the posts and video clips! Well to come full circle on my question persay, I talked with one of the Sensei at
    my dojo. Ikeda Sensei, who does Mugai ryu and is either 6th or 7th dan. As noted ealier, he said that both Mugai ryu and Muso Shinden Ryu have set of 5 kodachi kata. However the dojo we train at ie West Hachioji Dojo dosn`t really teach it or Sensei aren`t interested in it. However Ikeda Sensei does teach it at a diff dojo in Fuchinobe (if I remeber correctly if). Also talking with him today, confirmed that Mugai Ryu has daisho kata. Not doubting anyones word, just diff dojo seems to teach / greater importance on diff aspects. Also interesting Thurs at my Jr High club activities got canceled and all kids had to leave early due info that someone was walking around the area waving a Katana blade. So we get all the kids back to their places okay. I come into work next morning and it turns out that it was only some local practicing Iaido or something. Picked the wrong time and place to do it lol.

Comment

every class we have i get about forty min. to meself i usually practie other things like unducting smaller swords in your kata but sometimes kata change due to usage of a smaller weapon. im a fan of useing two swords but i dont do it that much prob cuz im so used to one lol... also a lot of friends in my dojo practice together outside and we use polearms and jo ect. to see how our skills mach up against other people my sensei encourages this so we can be ready at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by Tosa Samurai View Post
        im a fan of useing two swords but i dont do it that much prob cuz im so used to one lol...
        What art do you study that involves using two swords?

Comment

Originally posted by Tosa Samurai View Post
          also a lot of friends in my dojo practice together outside and we use polearms and jo ect.
          And what jo-art do you study? I'm a fellow jodo-fanatic

Comment

There are a bunch of koryu bujutsu ryuha that have kodachi kata in either iai or kenjutsu form. Off the top of my head, I can think of Shinnuki-ryu, Suio-ryu, Takenouchi-ryu (all three lines) Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu, Sosuishi-ryu, Kashima Shinto-ryu, Kashima Shin-ryu, Araki-ryu Gunyo Kogusoku, Kiraku-ryu, pretty much all of the Itto-ryu variants that are extant, Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu and a good number more.

Takenouchi-ryu, Sosuishi-ryu and Ono-ha Itto-ryu have quite interesting kodachi kata, where the situations can be tachi-tai-kodachi or kodachi-tai-kodachi.

Comment

Originally posted by willszenith View Post
              Here's a nice vid of the kurai- tori from shinden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7WwCHmtdBI
              So what form set was going on in the background there? It seemed to involved at least one person having two swords. Is that part of the MSR sets as well?

Comment

The set in the background is Niten Ichiryu, very tough to tell which line or who's performing it though.

Kim Taylor

Comment

Working...
                X