X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iaido videos

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where i can find some videos on iaido. I trained in kendo and iaido for about 2 years butnever formally ranked in it. Plus I had a falling out with my sensei mainly due to his wife controling the dojo. Because of that I have not been able to join the kendo federation. I am tring to get back into training by myself but I would like some videos to look at with my training. If anyone can help please let me know. Thank you,
    Manuel

*pimp*I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but, are there no other iaido dojos/sensei in the area? Even a little travelling is worth it for some good instruction. You could always try the iaido-L or e-budo and ask around (if you haven't already)...

Cheers,

Comment

Iaido Videos

There are some excellent iaido videos available through the Nippon Kobudo Jikishin Kai International.....these are done by Masayuki Shimabukuru from California......he is a student of Takayuki Miura Hanshi recognized as the 20th Master of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu by the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai....Shimabukuru Sensei is the head of the Jikishin Kai International....you can find these wideos at their website...Shimabukuru is also the author of the book on Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu titled "Flashing Steel"...the All Japan Kendo Federation also has a video tape on the ZNKR Seitei Kata....Good Luck

Comment

Thank you for the info

Manuel

Comment

Has anybody seen the ZNKR iaido video in english? Or, anything else published by them in english?

Comment

Videos

Has anybody seen the ZNKR iaido video in english? Or, anything else published by them in nglish?
            I have seen the old one with the 10 Seitei Iai Gata and the new one with the 12. The former is well done; the latter is rather poor IMHO. My personal recommendation is "All Japan Kendo Federation Seitei Iai Kata 1-12" by Kim Taylor (Rokudan/Renshi) from Mugendo Budogu for the 12.

For the MJER curriculum, I also recommend the Seidokai videos along with Ian Russel.

If you are going to be testing within the ZNKR, I would not recommend the videos by Shimabukuru-s. as he is not part of ZNKR and does his Kata just different enough to be problematic.

HTH.

Comment

Has anyone seen the ZN Seitei Iai BOOK? I'm sure I've hijacked more than one thread looking for this blasted thing, but if ANYONE has seen it, I would desperately like to know.

c

Comment

Check here for the book.

Originally posted by Confound
                Has anyone seen the ZN Seitei Iai BOOK? I'm sure I've hijacked more than one thread looking for this blasted thing, but if ANYONE has seen it, I would desperately like to know.
                Check out New Edition Zen Nihon Kendo Renmei Iai (reference no. I122) at Mugendo Budogu. I know that Peter Boylan has contacts with the distributers in Japan.

HTH.

Comment

Thanks very much. I shall immediately.
                  c

Comment

try Iwata Norikazu sensei's videos on Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu from kendo nippon magazine, nicely made and not too badly priced....
                    Tim Hamilton

Comment

Hey Tim any idea where I can get Iwata senseifs books? I could not find any in Japan none of my mates could find any either,
                      I have been reading hyakufs website thatfs cool, but I would like them in print (thatfs just me being a sad bookworm) are they still in print?

Gregg

Comment

Go to the Kendo Nippon website, you can get them there...slightly expensive but not too bad.
                        Started training again by the way?

Tim Hamilton

Comment

hey-up Tim lad
                          yeah I have done a little bit of training but not much just some suburi, kata& seitei at home; I have done some kendo and iai while I was bumming around Japan I even got to do some kendo with Fukuoka police but just the once after that my foot was black and blue

I will be coming back ghopefullyh this year & joining you for some MJER if you donft mind? Thatfs if I can afford all the licences but at the moment Ifm paying off the last of my student loan only 8k left to go
                          Gregg

Comment

you're welcome anytime, just send me a note when you can make it over. Practise days are Mon, Tues, Wed, with a possibility of a weekend depending on where I am....

Tim

Comment

Just to add a good link for books direct from Japan (a little late I know) is http://www.buyubooks.com they also have videos and a small selection of english books.

I also found www.amazon.co.jp a good place too considering I picked up Mitani Sensei's wonderful book: Shokai Iai Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (isbn: 4789920216) (a must have for anyone practicing Eishin-Ryu) for half the price.

Comment

Working...
                              X