X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

I've recently taken up iaido, and am looking to buy an iaito... Since im in the U.K i would prefere to buy from an U.K site, because of the cost of having one sent from america. The only site i've heard recomended from the U.K is ninecircles.com, but i've found an iaito on barringtonsswords.co.uk which i like, but am worried if it would be a good iaito since barringtons arnt a martial arts shop as such... Has anyone here purchased an iaito from barringtons or know anyone who has?

Thankx

Hi,
    I dont know of these, but I would recommend any japanese sites. I cant find the paper on which I have them, but I will look again.

Comment

The only sword I saw listed from barringtons is the practical katana, which I would avoid if you are just getting into Iai. Look for blades that are specifically listed for practicing iaido. While you would still be shipping from outside the UK, I suggest looking at the below sites. You can order directly from Japan or the US.

http://www.nipponto.co.jp/english/iai_e.htm (Meirin)
      http://www.nosyuiaido.com
      http://www.tozando.com

I started with a basic sword from Meirin, which had very little options for customizing but was a good price. When time came for me to "upgrade", I purchased from nosyuiaido, as it is the company my Sensei uses and suggested.
      Last edited by kgh; 25th November 2003, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by homerj
        I've recently taken up iaido, and am looking to buy an iaito... Since im in the U.K i would prefere to buy from an U.K site, because of the cost of having one sent from america. The only site i've heard recomended from the U.K is ninecircles.com, but i've found an iaito on barringtonsswords.co.uk which i like, but am worried if it would be a good iaito since barringtons arnt a martial arts shop as such... Has anyone here purchased an iaito from barringtons or know anyone who has?

Thankx

I have an Iaito from Ninecirlces and im very happy with it - good value

Quentin and his team are very experienced budoka, very knowledgeable and will be able to help with your needs beyond the sword itself - i had a quick look at Barringtons and without knocking them id be wary of using such a sword for Iai - especially as a beginner

Stick with Ninecircles and you'll be OK

Comment

I have known someone to use these people when they lived in Japan. http://www.sekiryu.co.jp/
          They ship anywhere. The selection in the english pages are a little limited but if you try to navigate through the japanese and find something you like, you can email them and they'll give you a quote with shipping costs. It's cheaper than buying from the states.

Comment

At www.eurobogu.net You can buy original iaito from japan, w/o shipping costs. I've got a question; how long do you got to practice iaido before you may use an iaito?

Peace

Comment

I've got a question; how long do you got to practice iaido before you may use an iaito?

In my opinion, you should start practicing with an iaito from day one. Without one, you really cannot practice proper technique. I have seen people start with a bokuto and (bokuto) saya, but it just is not the same. Our dojo has some "loner" swords that new students can use before commiting to purchasing their own.

You generally start with an iaito and move on to a shinken. The time for that depends on your sensei. For example, our dojo has an unwritten policy that you should start using a live blade around sandan, however if competent enough not to cut off any fingers and price isnt an issue, I think it could be done sooner.

Comment

my question.

I'm taking kendo but I want to also take another class involving the use of the real sword. Should I take iaido or would another art be better?
                I also thought of taking naginata, but they only use that long stick right?

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles35
                  I'm taking kendo but I want to also take another class involving the use of the real sword. Should I take iaido or would another art be better?
                  I also thought of taking naginata, but they only use that long stick right?
                  What do you have available?

Very few of us are living inside a martial arts supermarket, and have to choose from what there is. Are you filthy rich and can move anywhere in the world for martial art-practise? If so, come to our dojo, and I will teach you the basics, in a decade or two we should have you "up and cutting", but it will cost you.

Joke aside: as you do practise kendo, there may be some iai-guys (or ladies") around? Maybe its the right for you, maybe not, it is a highly individual matter.

Comment

I always teach a couple of lessons first with bokken to see how people react... that way I also get to make a summary of whether or not I've got someone who wants to learn or some loony off the street! After a month or so i allow the use of the club iaito and encourage students to buy one.
                    Naginata or sword??? Try and find a classical ryu nearby, that may be what you are looking for.

Comment

I live in the UK and just ordered my first blade from Barringtons this week. It came the next day perfectly packaged. Can't knock the service.

I really don't know enough about swords to say whether or not Paul Chen's katana are any good (which is pretty much all they do at Barringtons). I got the Practical Katana which you wouldn't use for Iaido at the begining anyway as it is a live blade. Its not the greatest sword in the world and doesn't really try to be and at around 130 you can't really complain. They do stock some of Paul Chen's Iaito's though. Can't say how good or bad they are.

Hope this helps a bit.

Comment

please check the mekugi before you use it and make sure its made of bamboo, not some alloy. You wouldnt want it flying out of the tsuka and hitting someone would you....
                        The Chen blades I have seen so far are heavy and badly balanced, although I reckon with a bit of time and patience I could get one sorted out as the basic shape is not too bad. Not seen a 'top of the range' latest one yet so they may be better. I will reserve opinion until then.

Comment

Working...
                        X