X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reverse sword grip?

i have often seen where before the noto (resheathing of the sword) the person would do this cool spin to make it in to a reverse grip.......i was just wondering if anyone can teach me this since my sensai have no idea what i'm talking about.....therefore can't teach me. P.S anyone knows what it's called? i have often see it in competitions and people are guarding that technique like it's a dojo secret......

please and thank you
    wayne hung,
    iaido 2 dan, kendo 2 dan,

Originally posted by wagrta View Post
    i have often seen where before the noto (resheathing of the sword) the person would do this cool spin to make it in to a reverse grip.......i was just wondering if anyone can teach me this since my sensai have no idea what i'm talking about.....therefore can't teach me. P.S anyone knows what it's called? i have often see it in competitions and people are guarding that technique like it's a dojo secret......
    Surely you're joking. You're talking about gyaku-noto, right?

Comment

what is your ryu? It may not contain this noto....

Comment

Uh-oh...something's not right here. Truth is a better way, Wayne.

Comment

You could always fly to Japan and pick up Sekiguchi Ryu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_oVekEiSBY

Comment

please and thank you
            wayne hung,
            In various versions of ukenagashi, you preform noto with a reverse grip with which there is some of a spin, are you refering to that motion?

Comment

please and thank you
              wayne hung,
              If you're 'sensai' has no idea what you're talking about, as far as a reverse grip noto, I question your 'sensai' and dojo/style.

Who is your 'sensai,' what dojo do you practice with and what style do you practice?

Comment

I think he's talking about kaiten chiburi.

Comment

Originally posted by Fukuryu View Post
                  I think he's talking about kaiten chiburi.
                  The TSKSR kaiten chiburi doesn't end up in a reverse grip though...it's just a rotation along the axis of the blade.

Comment

i have often seen where before the noto (resheathing of the sword) the person would do this cool spin to make it in to a reverse grip.......i was just wondering if anyone can teach me this since my sensai have no idea what i'm talking about.....therefore can't teach me.
                    Originally posted by Ralutin View Post
                    If you're 'sensai' has no idea what you're talking about, as far as a reverse grip noto, I question your 'sensai' and dojo/style.
                    Perhaps it's the spinning business and not the reverse grip that is confusing his sensei. I'm having difficulty envisioning it also. Something like this, or this, or perhaps this?

Wayne, can you describe your noto no kamae (is that a word? stance for resheathing?) and in what plane the sword rotates?

Allan
                    just curious

Comment

nice vids you posted.

What is the one when you place the Tsuki in your palm and rotate some crazy way? I hear its a variation of a way onced used on horseback. MJER

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post
                        The TSKSR kaiten chiburi doesn't end up in a reverse grip though...it's just a rotation along the axis of the blade.
                        Yep... and then reverse gripped before noto. It's the only serious technique I can think about, otherwise, could be "MMA-tournament-style sword flipping". Oh gosh, I really hope it is not that...

Comment

TsuBA not tsuKI...sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Fukuryu View Post
                            Yep... and then reverse gripped before noto. It's the only serious technique I can think about, otherwise, could be "MMA-tournament-style sword flipping". Oh gosh, I really hope it is not that...
                            I figured that's what you were saying...there's tons of style that has gyaku-noto...but not very many with a chiburi that changes your grip in the process into gyaku noto.

Really, sounds more like Lone Wolf and Cub chiburi to me. What he does in the movie isn't hard to figure out with frame advance....

Comment

I think Wagrta may well be referring to Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu and/or Takenouchi Ryu.

From the (very) little i know of these styles both emply a 'spinning' action as a chiburi through the use of the right hand releasing the grip somewhat and spinning the sword through 360 degrees. I did think the right hand took the tsuka in a gyakute fashion before doing noto though. Maybe I am wrong!

Comment

Working...
                              X