Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Spirit

Hi there,

Forgive me for my ignorance, but Switzerland will be the first European championships I will be participating in, so I was wondering about the Fighting Spirit award. How is it awarded ? What are the criteria ? How does one evaluate 'Fighting Spirit' ? What are your personal views about it, both the Judges' and the Competitors' ?

Ths first time I participated in an international competition was this year in January in Eindhoven (10th Ishido Cup), and I was quite intrigued by the Fighting Spirit award, hence the question.

Thank you and best regards to all,

jm

The fighting spirit award is awarded purely at the discretion of the referees. There are no fixed criteria. The circumstances will determine. For example if the eventual winner was in a class of his own, way ahead of the standard of the others he might win it. If a highly skilled competitor is knocked out in a nearly round, but with a different draw might have gained a medal, he might win it. If a contestant losses a match that the senior referees think he should have won, and therefore got further, he might win it. If a competitor has an unfortunate moment (loses balance for example) and recovers strongly and without being perturbed by the error, he might win it. If a competitor has a lot of spirit but looses on technical correctness, he might win it. There are so many possibilities. One thing is for sure, you don't prepare and train, then enter the competition hoping or intending to win it.

Comment

also wear a zekken else they wont even consider you for it
      good luck in the comp

Comment

Thank you for your answer, I got the basic idea about it, now.

Originally posted by Peter West View Post
        One thing is for sure, you don't prepare and train, then enter the competition hoping or intending to win it.
        I had already figured that out, and I'm really not worried about winning it or not. I was just curious as to whether there were any specified criteria about it.

By the way, is it an award that is given in Iaido and Jodo competitions worldwide ? Does it get awarded in competitions in Japan as well, for example ? Or is it an 'Europe', or 'western' thing ?

Best regards,

jm

Comment

Originally posted by jmaia View Post
          Thank you for your answer, I got the basic idea about it, now.

I had already figured that out, and I'm really not worried about winning it or not. I was just curious as to whether there were any specified criteria about it.

By the way, is it an award that is given in Iaido and Jodo competitions worldwide ? Does it get awarded in competitions in Japan as well, for example ? Or is it an 'Europe', or 'western' thing ?

Best regards,

jm
          No, this is done in Japan too

Comment

Originally posted by rottunpunk View Post
            also wear a zekken else they wont even consider you for it
            good luck in the comp
            Absolutely, if the referees don't know who you are, they can't discuss you behind your back.

Every team at the Europeans should have their country's zekken, so it shouldn't be a problem in Switzerland. In national competitions when competitors don't dress correctly (ZNKR rules are clear, and published in English) then the referees cannot consider people they don't know.

Comment

znkr rules are expensive to buy
              plus im a conservative anarchist

perhaps they should put a dress code on the back of the entry form or something

Comment

The fighting spirit award is awarded purely at the discretion of the referees. There are no fixed criteria. The circumstances will determine. For example if the eventual winner was in a class of his own, way ahead of the standard of the others he might win it. If a highly skilled competitor is knocked out in a nearly round, but with a different draw might have gained a medal, he might win it. If a contestant losses a match that the senior referees think he should have won, and therefore got further, he might win it. If a competitor has an unfortunate moment (loses balance for example) and recovers strongly and without being perturbed by the error, he might win it. If a competitor has a lot of spirit but looses on technical correctness, he might win it.
                I wonder if people that get awarded the 'Fighting Spirit' award ever know why they were awarded ?

jm

Comment

I wonder if people that get awarded the 'Fighting Spirit' award ever know why they were awarded ?

jm
                  The reason is not announced.

Comment

znkr rules are expensive to buy
                    plus im a conservative anarchist

perhaps they should put a dress code on the back of the entry form or something
                    I know your are an anarchist, that much is clear, and opposed to progress too, that is evident! However, for anyone who wishes to take part in competition, I don't think 7.00 for a copy of the rules in English is too steep.

Who reads the back of an entry form? Less than read the rule book I suspect.

Comment

i read entry forms
                      and for 7.00 i can buy so many lots of sweeties and biscuits

EDIT: oi what do you mean im opposed to progress?

Comment

i read entry forms
                        and for 7.00 i can buy so many lots of sweeties and biscuits
                        of course, how silly of me!

Comment

The reason is not announced.
                          Cool ! So, the person who wins the award only know that he / she did something really good during the embu but never actually gets to know what it was...

Maybe it is a way of teaching... Like making the student look into his / her performance and try and find out what it was that earned him / her the award. Could it be ?

jm

Comment

Cool ! So, the person who wins the award only know that he / she did something really good during the embu but never actually gets to know what it was...

Maybe it is a way of teaching... Like making the student look into his / her performance and try and find out what it was that earned him / her the award. Could it be ?

jm
                            I don't know. I can tell you it feels good to get it. In 2006 I won gold in the European Championships 6th dan section and in 2007 I won bronze and fighting spirit in the same level. It felt much better winning the fighting spirit than the gold. Perhaps because it was awarded by election from the overall performance. I don't know. Andy Watson won one in the 5th Dan section last year too, and he agreed with me at the time that the fighting spirit award meant more to him than the gold medal.

I really can't say why that is.

Comment

Perhaps its a nicer trophy.

Comment

Working...
                              X