Clear All

• Jigen ryu first cut workshop at new york budokai

PLEASE JOIN NEW YORK BUDOKAI FOR A INTRODUCTION TO:
    JIGEN RYU & FIRST CUT WORKSHOP

November 18th
    Tuesday 7 pm - 10 pm

Ripley Grier Studios
    520 Eighth Ave (37th & 38th St.)
    16th Fl. (please bring photo ID to enter building).

After the intro to Ryushin Jigen Ryu is the First Cut workshop which students will get a rare chance to test cut a rolled straw mat with a "live blade". This is called Tameshigiri.

For further information and to make a reservation, please contact Valiant Yeung at 516-746-3380

Reservations required - Space is limited.

Cost is $60.00 per person

I've only heard of Jigen Ryu and Yakumaru Jigen Ryu.

Ryushin Jigen Ryu is a first for me. Mind elaborating on this style?

Comment

So it's 60 bones to go one time? On top of that, your going to let people with no experience handle "live blade(s)", AND cut something on top of that? Pure awesomeness. If I had the time, I'd drive up to NY just to hurt myself, and collect the grotesque amount of money I would recieve from the impending lawsuit. There is no excuse for drinking one Bud Ice 24 oz., but I just drank four of them, and you know what? This still sounds retarded. By the way, there are two types of retarded. One is being handicapped, by no fault of your own, and it isn't funny. The other type is $60 for a one-time tameshigiri experiment, and is totally hilarious. On top of the "retardedness", do you get a free patch that says "Ultimate grandmaster soke of America", or something...if not, this is super-retarded, which requires a whole new definition all together. And...cut. That's a wrap people. Press it up. I'll be in my office. Don't call me, I'll call you.

Comment

maybe the ad is badly worded... I thought this dojo was legit? Website says MSR is main ryu taught as per Otani s, I've known Otani s. since he came to the UK with Kim many years ago.
        Perhaps the inference is that if you are ok with a blade, but never tried cutting, here's a chance to 'have a go' and satisfy your curiosity?
        I know there are different ha of this ryu from Alex's previous notes, but I guess he is the one to be more authoritative on this! Video on the club site is nice to watch BTW... http://www.newyorkbudokai.net/firstcut.php

I hope this is legit, it is always nice to see a different take on swords being made available outside Japan...

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan View Post
          maybe the ad is badly worded... I thought this dojo was legit? Website says MSR is main ryu taught as per Otani s, I've known Otani s. since he came to the UK with Kim many years ago.
          Perhaps the inference is that if you are ok with a blade, but never tried cutting, here's a chance to 'have a go' and satisfy your curiosity?
          I know there are different ha of this ryu from Alex's previous notes, but I guess he is the one to be more authoritative on this! Video on the club site is nice to watch BTW... http://www.newyorkbudokai.net/firstcut.php

I hope this is legit, it is always nice to see a different take on swords being made available outside Japan...
          That would be Ohmi sensei that went to England with me Tim, I never met Otani s. but I do know Phil Ortiz and the NY Budokai. I've got no problem with their lineage or with this event. Looks like a bit of a fundraiser to me.

Tameshigiri doesn't need to be any more dangerous than mowing your lawn.

Kim Taylor

Comment

We're misunderstanding my point. I'm not taking shots at what the do as far as martial arts are concerned. My alarm went off because of this slightly expensive adventure. I can get a season pass to a theme park for five bucks more. Maybe they're as legit as it gets, but I'd take my chances mowing my lawn. It's also about $56 dollars cheaper. I'm also not familiar with the idea of fundraisers. A fundraiser for what? If it's for kids with cancer, then shit...I'll just send 'em $60. If it's for renting a practice space, or so they can get/upkeep equipment, that just seems weird to me. Perhaps there is a difference in iaido,battodo, kenjutsu, and kendo as far as the whole money thing that I'm just not aware of, but this comes off as "We'll let some people who pay us cut stuff with a couple of our swords, we'll get the money, and it only will take three hours of our time." Where I'm from, we either come up with the money ourselves, or we don't have a space to practice. For instance, our club makes it a point to have free demonstrations. If you want to donate money, we'll gladly accept, but why couldn't our dojo just charge a school for the demonstration? It's a fundraiser, right? Legit, Japanese, hachidan, nice personality, skilled...that's great, but it doesn't mean I just blindly agree with whatever they do.

Comment

In NYC where we're from, to host a seminar, you have to rent space. Space usually in the form of a dance studio which charges, 70-100 dollars an HOUR depending on size of space. Also you have the costs of targets (which is expensive too nowadays) and instruction. Plus a rare style like that is hard to find even in NYC. So 60 doesn't seem too bad to me. If anything, they're trying to get people to come out and acquaint people with their style and not lose any money while they're at it. Most of the people that come to these events are other iai practitioners who have never cut or just want to experience a new style. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Comment

at that price I am wondering how you guys run dojos in NY....for me 3 nights a week, 2 hours a time, at your cost, would get me a house/dojo mortgage!
                3 hours is a bit short though... maybe all day would be better if you are trying to demo a new ryu properly...It would also catch the guys who can't make it during the time the demo is on...

hahaha Kim, My memory is going...
                Last edited by chidokan; 16th November 2008, 01:46 AM.

Comment

First off, I'm not a member of NY Budokai (the group that is hosting)I know them and they are friends. I run a Toyama Ryu dojo here so I know what it's like to host a seminar. The prices that I mentioned are for big spaces. For a sword seminar that could possibly host 10 or more people, you need lots of space. But that's for hosting a seminar, to just run a dojo normally, you would need smaller space. Smaller spaces can run from the lowest I've seen here which is like 40 to 60 an hour. Also to host an all day shindig would be tough, because it's a dance studio, so other groups probably have that space reserved too. You could rent out a gym for an all day event but...phew...yea..we'll leave it at that...

Comment

actually the cost is just to cover basic expenses. NYB is non profit and all volunteer. also things in NYC are expensive. we also don't drink while cutting, safety is of the upmost importance.

Comment

You don't drink while cutting? Thanks for clearing that up, I think there was some confusion on that point...what?

Comment

Working...
                      X