X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toshiro Mifune View Post
    You can do a google search to see if they have a homepage with more information.

Carleton College Kendo Club
    MN

John T.Born
    John born@mnkyudo.org

Hokkyokusei Kendo Club
    Rochester Family YMCA [see map]
    720 1st Ave. SW
    Rochester, MN

Stephen Voss
    (507) 281-3163
    vosssenshu@aol.com

Minnesota Institute of Martial Arts [see map]
    1001 Payne Ave.
    St. Paul, MN

Stephen Voss
    (507) 281-3163
    vosssenshu@aol.com

Minnehaha Kendo Club
    4744 Chicago Ave. [see map]
    Minneapolis, MN

Robert Cochran
    (612) 823-6715
    Rcochran_Minnehaha@msn.com
    Hi Ian-san,

Welcome to the forum!

I thought you should know that the following kendo dojo is no longer in existence. It died 4 years ago. I used to train there. It was a good dojo, though small. It was actually an off-shoot of the Hokkyokusei Kendo Dojo in Rochester.

Minnesota Institute of Martial Arts [see map]
    1001 Payne Ave.
    St. Paul, MN

Stephen Voss
    (507) 281-3163
    So, please don't call and ask about that one.

However, I highly recommend the Minnehaha kendo dojo. Cochran-sensei is VERY good. He misses nothing and I always enjoy each practice when I can get to the dojo. So, you will get good instruction there. And, though I've not practiced at the Carleton dojo, I have trained w/their mentoring sensei(That would be Voss-sensei.) and he is very good too. You'll get good instruction at either dojo.
    The Hookyokusei dojo is a bit far from you, but it is good as well. I've met people in that dojo and they are a nice group of people.

Please visit the Minnehaha Kendo Dojo(Not club. Sensei doesn't call it that.) website here for detailed beginner information:

http://minnehahakendo.org/

Scroll to the bottom on the page for the info.

As for the Iaido, currently, like others have said, the only two legit Iaido dojos near you are the Mutokai Iaido dojo that teaches Muso Shinden Ryu, and the Twin Cities Toyama Ryu dojo. I would highly recommend both dojos to you. Others have already given you practice/contact info so I won't add more to that.

Anyway, it seems I've come a bit late to this thread(I never saw it before today.), but I needed to let you know about that one dojo being dead now.

I hope you will or will have visited each dojo by now, to see which one is right for you. It's a good idea to visit more than one to make a good decision you will be happy with. Be sure to call ahead before you go so they know you are coming. Some may require that you watch a practice straight through first, before actually joining in a practice. So, calling ahead is a good thing to do so you can find out what you can do and ask any questions about what to wear and if you can borrow a bokuto(for iai) or a shinai(kendo) for the 1st practice.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find the dojo you want.

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru View Post
      Please visit the Minnehaha Kendo Dojo(Not club. Sensei doesn't call it that.
      Bob never called himself Sensei while I was there either.

時代が変わるカオルちゃん。

Comment

Working...
      X