X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new here, and i need help finding a dojo in MN

hello all! my name is Ian and i am 18, i have lived in minnesota all my life and i have always been fasinated with Japanese swordsmenship. I have never looked into untill now. i have been taking Eskrima for about 3-4 years and i want to continue with that, but i also want to expand my knowlege. so any advice or help would much be appreciated! i can honestly say that i dont know if i want to do Kendo, or Iaito yet. Oh and sorry for some misused terminology... or spelling for that matter... lol

try the dojo section of the kendo forum

http://kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5430

Comment

i clicked the link but it would just load a blank page... so its not working im guessing.... or my computer is stupid

Comment

you're right....

HAMISH!! PLZ FIX LINKY ty

anyways....there are lots of threads in the dojo section. Or just google the AUSKF and search there.

Comment

I don't think there's any iaido near you, the only club in Minnesota is in Moorehead. There's kendo in Minneapolis, Northfield and Rochester. Check out the Minnehaha club in Minneapolis, that's the page with links to the other clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
            I don't think there's any iaido near you, the only club in Minnesota is in Moorehead. There's kendo in Minneapolis, Northfield and Rochester. Check out the Minnehaha club in Minneapolis, that's the page with links to the other clubs.
            My information may be a bit dated, but isn't the Mutokai (Muso Shinden Ryu) still operating out of the Twin Cities Aikido Center?

And there is the Twin Cities Toyama-ryu club:

http://www.geocities.com/toyama_ryu/...ToyamaRyu.html

Comment

Was going to mention the Toyama-ryu dojo but Josh beat me to it.
              Last edited by ShinKenshi; 17th December 2008, 11:19 PM. Reason: Info already posted

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Reyer View Post
                My information may be a bit dated, but isn't the Mutokai (Muso Shinden Ryu) still operating out of the Twin Cities Aikido Center?
                Whoops, so they are. Here is another thread with the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Reyer View Post

And there is the Twin Cities Toyama-ryu club:

http://www.geocities.com/toyama_ryu/...ToyamaRyu.html
                  The Mutokai is still around last I heard. Last I was there, they met on Saturdays around noon-ish and possibly Wednesdays as well. In the Twin Cities area they are your best (only?) bet at the moment for traditional iai (there is another group that is in the process of (re-)establishing connections to Japan, but it will be a while before they are fully up and running in that department).

Rennis

Comment

I never did iai with the Mutokai folks, but I knew some of them from training in aikido. Good folks. I have fond memories of George Zanmiller teaching beginners aikido some 16 years ago! The TCAC is also a very nice facility.

Comment

These dojos where on the AUSKF (All United States Kendo Federation) homepage

You can do a google search to see if they have a homepage with more information.

Carleton College Kendo Club
                      MN

John T.Born
                      John born@mnkyudo.org

Hokkyokusei Kendo Club
                      Rochester Family YMCA [see map]
                      720 1st Ave. SW
                      Rochester, MN

Stephen Voss
                      (507) 281-3163
                      vosssenshu@aol.com

Minnesota Institute of Martial Arts [see map]
                      1001 Payne Ave.
                      St. Paul, MN

Stephen Voss
                      (507) 281-3163
                      vosssenshu@aol.com

Minnehaha Kendo Club
                      4744 Chicago Ave. [see map]
                      Minneapolis, MN

Robert Cochran
                      (612) 823-6715
                      Rcochran_Minnehaha@msn.com

Comment

Yep, Saturdays at 1:00, and Wednesday nights at 8:00.

Comment

Hi there,
                          Where are you living? I've got a school in Moorhead MN, where we do the approved ZNKR seitei and also Musoshindenryu iaido.
                          You can see more information on our site, www.musoshindenryu.com
                          Good luck in your search!
                          Brad

Comment

His profile says Mound, that's about 30 minutes outside Minneapolis.

Comment

Head over to the Minehaha Club. They are fairly close. Before moving back to Japan, that is where I trained. Tell Bob Chris said hi if you stop in.

Comment

Working...
                              X