Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aikido and iaido

Hello iaido people

I've been looking for some iaido in Montreal (some of the kendo newbies and veterans have been asking about it) and have noticed that at least one aikido dojo claims to teach iaido (www.aikidodelamont.com).

Is this a common thing?

This aikido dojo is not recognized by the CKF (the kendo fed.) so I have no idea what to think of it. I sent an email to them and the response came back that the teacher was 6th dan (I don't know who reconized his grading) and had been taught by Kanai sensei of New England Aikikai. They both look like really legitimate aikidoka.

(Actually, he never says that he's a 6th dan in iaido, specifically. The answer and my question implied that he's a 6th dan in iaido... But he answered that he's a 6th dan, period. Odd.)

So, what do you people think? The sensei is called Berthiaume, anybody heard of him in iaido circles?

(warning, I'm not looking to flame this guys dojo, I just want to know what I should make of aidokas claiming to teach proper iaido as well).

Is it possible to train with an aikido dojo in iaido and then do a CKF grading?

Thanks

Originally posted by AlexM
    Hello iaido people

I've been looking for some iaido in Montreal (some of the kendo newbies and veterans have been asking about it) and have noticed that at least one aikido dojo claims to teach iaido (www.aikidodelamont.com).

Is this a common thing?

This aikido dojo is not recognized by the CKF (the kendo fed.) so I have no idea what to think of it. I sent an email to them and the response came back that the teacher was 6th dan (I don't know who reconized his grading) and had been taught by Kanai sensei of New England Aikikai. They both look like really legitimate aikidoka.

(Actually, he never says that he's a 6th dan in iaido, specifically. The answer and my question implied that he's a 6th dan in iaido... But he answered that he's a 6th dan, period. Odd.)

So, what do you people think? The sensei is called Berthiaume, anybody heard of him in iaido circles?

(warning, I'm not looking to flame this guys dojo, I just want to know what I should make of aidokas claiming to teach proper iaido as well).

Is it possible to train with an aikido dojo in iaido and then do a CKF grading?

Thanks
    No, it is not common for the aikido-iaido association, but there are a few.

Kanai sensei of New England Aikikai is a legitimate practitioner of Muso Shinden Ryu (MSR); he was the Aikido teacher of my former Aikido teacher, Lou Perriello of Northeast Aikikai in Chelmsford. MA.

To the best of my knowledge, Kanai-s. is or was associated with the North American San Shin Kai (NASSK), a branch of Mitsuzuka Takeshi's MSR organization.

I have worked with the NASSK; several of their members are my seniors in Kyudo and another in Aikido. They are independent of the ZNKR.

Come to think of it, I do believe that the Montreal Iaidojo is/was a member of the NASSK.

As Mitsuzuka-s.'s health has been going down-hill in recent years, he has stopped traveling to North America; Sensei put the control of the organization in the hands of Roger Wehrhahn, who is also a high ranking Karate-ka, after the untimely death of the late Paul Sylvain. I have heard that there were some grumblings within the NNSSK members about the choice of Wehrhahn-s. as the new leader, and that some of the member dojo's were withdrawing from the organization.

It might be possible to train with an aikido dojo in iaido and then do a CKF grading, if you can get CKF instructor to sign your application form. Send me a PM for details. FYI, my Iaido, Kendo and Jodo grades are through the CKF.

There are at least three CKF Iai groups in Montreal; the name Dr. Robert Miller comes to mind. Check out CKF Dojo List and go to the bottom of the Quebec listings for Dr. Miller.

HTH.

Comment

My limited knowledge is that if you want to have AJKF Iaido grades, then you have to practice Seitei kata... Not doing Seitei doesn't necessarily mean their Iaido is not legit. Maybe you should check which Ryu are they practicing?

Comment

Thank you Mr. Sosnowski (and you too Mings )

When I started the thread I figured you'd be the first to answer.

Thanks for the information. It's great to have a little background knowledge. I suppose I'll have to go see them to find out if they're really good or not (not that I can judge much quite frankly).

We have a few people here that seem to want a little iaido in their diet (I'm not one of them, although I wouldn't object to some occasionally just to get a feel for it). But finding a competent instructor in the city is really challenging.

I'll look into this Robert Miller person (whom I've briefly heard of) and try to go see one of their iaido practices and ask them questions in person (I swear I'll walk out if they say they're into "rythmic iaido" ), using the internet is so impersonal.

Anyway, thanks alot for all that history regarding New England Aikikai.

Comment

Mingshi,
          you dont have to learn seitei to learn iaido (thank God), its only if you want to do dan grades with ZNKR. ZNIR and a few other associations in Japan have either something similar to seitei for gradings, or just keep to their own style of koryu. It would be nice if a few more associations would come over to the UK and promote their iaido, it would give us all a better 'flavour' of what iaido is about. There's some really interesting stuff about I am sure would lure a lot of kendoka into taking iaido up!

Comment

It is odd how the only mention of iaido is in that one line that says Aikido and Iaido. Other than that I don't see any other mention of Iaido or sword drawing of anysort. And Iaido doesn't necessarily mean sword drawing, so maybe it could mean something else?

Comment

AlexM
              For Canada try Gary Hall, haven't written to him in a while, but I know him and he is o.k. Website is here...good luck in finding a dojo....and remember its nearly time for the trout and salmon season to start...

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/ghall/index.html

Comment

Trout season starts in a little over a month. I should start my annual plunge into insanity in about 2~3 weeks, that's when I start having dreams of gigantic brown trout (known simply as "trout" in Europe: salmo trutta for the biologists among you) while fishing in streams swollen from the melting snow of the spring thaw. It' snowing today but maybe I'll do some practice casts outdoors today. A friend of mine proposed that we go out to one of the rivers around Montreal (open year round), but the ice is still there: maybe if we get a quick thaw soon... Let the insanity begin.

I heard salmon season starts in January in Scotland... lucky kilt-wearing bastards. They won't start spawning in Gaspsie until the start of June.

Man, I miss the spring...

Comment

thought you would start same time as us! Already been for my first FREE salmon fishing trip to the Tweed but only caught a couple of kelts... such is salmon fishing.... brownies round here are good as well but dont start til march 24th so we just do grayling instead. Move to Northeast England and you could fish every day of the year for salmonids while waiting for the dojo to open... roll on retirement...

Comment

Iaido

Anyone still interested in the info requested in the original post in this thread? I only came across it the other day.

Comment

It depends.

Originally posted by Deer
                      Anyone still interested in the info requested in the original post in this thread? I only came across it the other day.
                      If it adds to the contents of this thread (rather than just repeating what has already been said), then I believe it is appropriate to submit your information.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                      X