X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hakama Shopping

Yay, I'm hakama shopping again. And by "yay" I mean, "someone stab me, because I'm going absolutely bonkers trying to figure out what to do."

What I'm looking at is the #5000 Shoaizome Kendo hakama at E-bogu. These are not quite as heavy I think as I would actually like, but it looks like the trend for heavier cotton hakama is for back stitching the pleats, which is definitely not what I want.

I'll be using them for iaido and koryu naginata (which is down on knees a fair bit as well), so wondering if anyone is using these hakama and what their experience is with themdurability, fit, truth-in-sizing, himo length. (My current pair is Bu-Jin cotton, so I've been a bit spoiled.)

And while I'm at it, does anyone use the summer weight keikogi that E-bogu offers?

-Beth

I can't exactly answer your questions, but I have E-bogu's #10000 shoaizome kendo hakama (indeed, backstitched), their #10000 white kendo hakama, and their standard tetron cheap hakama, as well as Bujin's twill (polycotton, not their full cotton) hakama. E-bogu's himo are incredibly short compared to Bujin's. I have just enough to tie my E-bogu, contrasted with the miles and miles of Bujin himo. I have a 36" waist, according to my pants (trousers for you Brits) size, although actual measurement generally has me larger than that. Making no suppositions about your own body size, I can measure the length of my himo later today.

Also, I found that my Bujin hakama are a bit shorter than my Ebogu. I had the Bujin first, and when I ordered the same length from Ebogu, they were too long. I went down one size (even numbers), but I wish I could have gone down 1/2 a size.

Comment

I have 2 of those that I use them for Kendo during the hot months of the year. They are comfortable and they keep the pleats nicely despite being only #5000. I have also practiced iaido with them and they seemed fine. Be aware that they are quite light. You will notice the difference with the bu-jin one, I am sure.

I also use a summer keikogi like the one displayed in e-bogu. It is definitely extremely light and easy to wear. If you are using it for iaido, I think that you will like it. For Kendo, though, they tend to stick to your skin when they are wet and, by the middle of the practice, they are soaked. A single layer keikogi is my preference for hot weather.

Originally posted by babayaga View Post
      Yay, I'm hakama shopping again. And by "yay" I mean, "someone stab me, because I'm going absolutely bonkers trying to figure out what to do."

What I'm looking at is the #5000 Shoaizome Kendo hakama at E-bogu. These are not quite as heavy I think as I would actually like, but it looks like the trend for heavier cotton hakama is for back stitching the pleats, which is definitely not what I want.

I'll be using them for iaido and koryu naginata (which is down on knees a fair bit as well), so wondering if anyone is using these hakama and what their experience is with themdurability, fit, truth-in-sizing, himo length. (My current pair is Bu-Jin cotton, so I've been a bit spoiled.)

And while I'm at it, does anyone use the summer weight keikogi that E-bogu offers?

-Beth

Comment

-Beth
        I have both and while I haven't used the hakama for iaido, my guess is that you'll definitely want to press it after each practice if you do. The stitched inner pleats do help but just to be on the safe side I always fold it in thirds and stack a bunch of heavy boxes on top since I'm using it as my good hakama for now. If you don't want stitched inner pleats, then you'll have to call and ask for it because it's standard on all their hakama. If you need longer himo, E-bogu does offer longer himo but they have two options so it'd be a good idea to call them and ask what they'd recommend given your waist size. I have a 34 in. waist and the standard himo are fine for me. I'm just under 5'11" (180 cm) and bought a size 27 and I feel it's just about an inch longer than I'd like but otherwise it's great. The himo are a bit wider than they are on my Koei hakama (also 5000) and give me a more supported feel in my back.

The summer weight keiko gi is fantastic and perfect for those especially hot and/or humid days. I toss mine in the dryer but then again it doesn't get super hot so I don't have to worry about it shrinking. If your dryer does get really, really hot, then hang dry it. While it may not look as nice as standard indigo gi over time or provide as much of a buffer against wayward strikes, I'd much rather wear it and not feel like I'm wearing a lead vest.

Comment

buy here.....posh stuff. (The equivalent of M&S for hakama for girls...)

http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/hakama5.htm

they even have hakama bags... one upmanship or what!!

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan View Post
            buy here.....posh stuff. (The equivalent of M&S for hakama for girls...)

http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/hakama5.htm
            Rayon and polyester? Blech! The ones with the pattern in the weave look nice, but sadly none of those are suitable. But then of course I'm not sure whether you made the suggestion tongue-in-cheek, or seriously.

Originally posted by ShinKenshi View Post
            I have both and while I haven't used the hakama for iaido, my guess is that you'll definitely want to press it after each practice if you do.
            Yikes! Thanks for that input. I'm not ironing anything or doing anything more with my stuff than folding it and stuffing it in a bag or hanging it up.

-Beth
            Last edited by babayaga; 31st July 2009, 09:39 AM. Reason: combined replies

Comment

gradings only...
              I prefer a manmade/mixed material for every day training, seem to last a little longer than just straight plant fibre type......

Now... which page were those Ronald Mcdonald hakama on, so I can set up a Mcdojo....

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan View Post
                Now... which page were those Ronald Mcdonald hakama on, so I can set up a Mcdojo....
                Maybe these will work for you: Ninja Raver Pants

When you set up your McDojo, remember you must have a celebrity as your figurehead student, like Elvis in kempo. Choose carefully!

-Beth

Comment

Originally posted by corwyn View Post
                  E-bogu's himo are incredibly short compared to Bujin's. I have just enough to tie my E-bogu, contrasted with the miles and miles of Bujin himo.
                  E-bogu says their size 24 hakama have 61" himo, front and back. My BuJin have 44" back and 90" front, measured from the center of the hakama.

That would certainly require some changes in tying.

-Beth

Comment

E-bogu says their size 24 hakama have 61" himo, front and back. My BuJin have 44" back and 90" front, measured from the center of the hakama.

That would certainly require some changes in tying.

-Beth
                    As I said in my earlier post, E-bogu does offer longer himo as an option so ask them how much longer the extensions are.

Comment

These are not quite as heavy I think as I would actually like, but it looks like the trend for heavier cotton hakama is for back stitching the pleats, which is definitely not what I want.
                      There are lots of places that supply hakama without the cheater stitches. I got my last pair from Peter Boylan. I don't like tetron hakama, but then I don't practice iaido and the knee wear thing is not so much an issue with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                        There are lots of places that supply hakama without the cheater stitches. I got my last pair from Peter Boylan. I don't like tetron hakama, but then I don't practice iaido and the knee wear thing is not so much an issue with me.
                        Agreed on tetron. Ick. I'd love to support Mr. Boylan, but the only mid-weight hakama he has is right at the BuJin price point. I'll write him though and ask about himo length.

Originally posted by ShinKenshi View Post
                        As I said in my earlier post, E-bogu does offer longer himo as an option so ask them how much longer the extensions are.
                        10" extensions sewn on, and I don't trust (judging from the quality of the reply to my questions) that I could specify just extending the front himo.

Thanks.

-Beth

Comment

I like the pleat stitching that e-bogu offers and I currently use a #8000 and it's just fine. I would not go with a lower # than that, but that's my personal taste.

For the money, this is a good buy: $120 for #10000 (it's $200 at e-bogu)
                          http://mazkiyausa.com/description.ph...434599333f84fa

...and I just picked one up from them myself (for whatever that's worth)

PS: The obi on the #8000 hakama I got from e-bogu is suitably lengthy (and I have a 34" waist)(I just mention this since corwyn said his was really short)

Comment

I should perhaps also note that even though I don't do iaido, a heavier hakama might not be the perfect option for everyday practice... i'm thinking it's probably personal preference. Most everybody from our club that does iaido pretty much sticks with the tetron hakama... In my opinion, they're just less hassle to maintain..

Comment

and tetron are cheap.... I go through a pair of hakama about once every six months, no matter the quality, as our floor is a bit like sandpaper due to it having linoleum cover that absorbs the sand from the footie players boots...its a general use gym. I hate ruining good quality hakama on poor floors, so keep a good pair for embu and other dojo visits.

Comment

Working...
                              X