X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bokken - wooden or plastic saya?

I'm very much a beginner to Iaido, and am looking to buy bokken with saya to practice with until I find the right iaito for me.

getting a saya with seems likea sensible thing to do, but do any of you have experience in whether wooden or plastic saya has a better 'feel'

I'm thinking in terms of perfroming noto etc....does one 'feel' better than the other..??

thanks for your help in advance....!

I'd recommend getting whichever is cheaper and saving the money for when you feel that you'd like an iaito. Although you'll still use a bokken, you're unlikely to care too much what the saya is like, and if you do you can always get one later when you're more likely to have an idea of what you'll be using it for.

Comment

As suggested above, get whatever is cheaper. Also, for better advice, how long do you think it will be before you get an iaito? If it's less than a couple of months, I wouldn't even recommend getting a saya at all. For short periods of time, fingers will work perfectly well as a saya substitue. Also check with your sensei, most have a bokken with a saya rattling around somewhere you could borrow

Comment

One girl in our Iaido group has a wooden bokken saya and she does not use that - she uses the plastic saya we have for the club. Now I'm not sure why she doesn't use her wooden one.

If you have a bokken (you will need it for Kendo kata, anyway - I'm naturally presuming you ARE going to practice Kendo, as well so you get a much more well-rounded view of things) just get a plastic golf tube and use that for the saya until you save up for an iaito.

Comment

Thanks for your opinions...
          With regards to how long it will be before I buy an iaito.. I'll look into getting one just after Christmas.
          I think the idea of getting the cheaper one is fair enough. I don't suppose it will be too much of a big deal if I'm going to be using an iaito soon enough
          I did some training in kendo, but really didn't find it was right for me. i wasn't to interested in the sporty element, and chose iaido and jodo for he more 'meditative' feel from practising the katas etc. i may consider kendo in the future.

thanks again!

Comment

Glad we could be of help. If you're getting an iaito in less than a month, I'd suggest either using a golf tube or sticking with your fingers. The former will cost maybe $5 and the latter served me well enough my first few months

Comment

ps73, I would normally agree with the above (get a cheap plastic one from Nine Circles) but to be honest, if you are getting an iaito just after Christmas, I wouldn't bother. You won't really need a sayatsuki bokuto until you do tachiuchi no kurai - and that won't be for a while.

Just out of interest, what dojo are you practicing at?

Comment

Hi Scott

I've started training at Hagakure West London, 3 hours session half jodo, then half iaido.
                there's about 10-12 in the group.

Comment

That's good to hear - say hi to Rob from me.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK View Post
                    That's good to hear - say hi to Rob from me.
                    Dont do it!! we all deny ever meeting scott....save yourself...

Comment

what exactly is a golf tube?

thanks.

Comment

It's like a blowpipe but with bigger, rounder, whiter darts...

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Myers View Post
                          One girl in our Iaido group has a wooden bokken saya and she does not use that - she uses the plastic saya we have for the club. Now I'm not sure why she doesn't use her wooden one.

If you have a bokken (you will need it for Kendo kata, anyway - I'm naturally presuming you ARE going to practice Kendo, as well so you get a much more well-rounded view of things) just get a plastic golf tube and use that for the saya until you save up for an iaito.

Hi Wes ^^

The only reason I don't use my wooden saya is becasue the bokken that came with it is to short, so what little somewhat ok ish technique I have goes to hell and a hand cart when I use it (I have the same problem as my bro, no sayabiki(sp?) required).

Comment

Arrrrgh another girl on KW. Wes, lock her up quick before Sats arrives...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK View Post
                              It's like a blowpipe but with bigger, rounder, whiter darts...

...... and Scott is the only person with enough wind [and I mean breath...] to get some real trajectory on the projectiles!

Comment

Working...
                              X