X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna see how to do Ryuto?

...I have never seen Ishido Sensei doing it THAT fast.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fORII5qmygQ somewhere between 00:01:46 and 00:01:46.3 I think....

Ahhh saw this on FB earlier, thats a busy floor...

Comment

Is this the same Ishido Sensei who also practices Jodo with Dojos in England? (among other countries)

Comment

If you wanna see Ryuto heaven, check THIS out.

http://vimeo.com/2381191

Comment

Is

Originally posted by Fred27 View Post
          Is this the same Ishido Sensei who also practices Jodo with Dojos in England? (among other countries)
          It sure is. He has 8th dan Kyoshi in Jodo but even he would admit that his real strength is in Iaido. He's devastatingly good in all of them though.

But then I would say that....

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Watson View Post
            It sure is. He has 8th dan Kyoshi in Jodo but even he would admit that his real strength is in Iaido. He's devastatingly good in all of them though.

But then I would say that....
            Andy, just curious but what Kendo grade does Ishido sensei have? I'm guessing it's at least nanadan kyoshi.

Comment

Kendo

Martch

Pretty sure you're right, kendo 7th dan kyoshi.

Re: the vimeo ryuto video, it is fascinating to watch. We have been so lucky in Europe to have had a few of those teachers over here once or twice (and again next week). It also has my original teacher and old friend, Noguchi Sensei, in it, great seeing him again even on video.

Comment

....of course when I tried to use some of the "flavours" in my Ryuuto (my favourite koryu) - it was a case of

>"wot are you doing" ..

>ummmmm "trying out what those hachi dans are doing in that video" ??
                >...answer "you're not a hachi dan, ryuuto must be done like this" ...pah.

But I liked xyz style of so & so hachi dan in this vimeo video...and wanted to try out different flavours too how else do you aspire to be a hachi dan

Plus I was convinced I was alive and the opponent was dead - reason to smile, what more do you want ?!
                kendo 7th dan kyoshi
                Yes, and just never bothered to try for hachi dan, as that would be more pressure and commitment to Kendo, let alone his hachi dans in Iai and Jodo
                THAT fast
                Little legs and being a hanshi - hope for all Ewoks yet
                Last edited by Budo Angel; 11th November 2009, 07:00 AM.

Comment

...I have never seen Ishido Sensei doing it THAT fast.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fORII5qmygQ somewhere between 00:01:46 and 00:01:46.3 I think....
                  Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                  If you wanna see Ryuto heaven, check THIS out.

http://vimeo.com/2381191

You know I hate 'lazy-cliche-speech', but

'Like, WOW!' - these examples have the 'Wow factor';
                  'At the end of the day' - - they really 'tick the boxes';

Comment

Bloody hell.

Imagine what certain BKA saya-splitters could do to themeselves copying that speed.

Comment

This was taken at the 44th All Japan iaido taikai. Everyone on that floor is hanshi hachidan.

I have a number of the enbu from that day (including the entire of Ishido sensei's) on tape as well but a technical issue means I've not been able to transfer the video to my PC yet. I'm working on it!

Comment

That's the stuff that wins taikai in Japan. Haruna Sensei had a version of Uke Nagashi (MJER Ryu To) which moved about that speed. I've seen Morita Sensei and Oshita Sensei try to emulate it, but I don't think they'd be too concerned about me saying they didn't quite get there, but then they don't practice it like that, which Haruna Sensei did, and Ishido Sensei does. Amusingly Morita Sensei takes off his glasses before he tries it! Reputedly, Haruna Sensei once hit his nose doing it that fast, but it may be an urban legend.

Great stuff though. It shows that when we're told to slow down it is so that we can get it right and be able to get that speed later. The amazing thing for me is that despite the speed, it doesn't look rushed.

Comment

Ishido-s is certainly an amazing chappie - but to be honest, I think we aspire to be like him (and others of his ilk) too much. For us lowly bods to look to a hachidan hanshi for inspiration is perhaps aiming too high.

I have others who I aspire to.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK View Post
                            I have others who I aspire to.
                            Scott;.......... keep dreaming!

Comment

go to the source, not some student imitator
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Abvv...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                              X